Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you choose

(63 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Thu 10-Sep-20 08:51:45

All charities are strapped for cash these days so how do you choose which ones to support?

I have a couple of charities I donate to regularly but every day there is a item on local radio from local charities needing help - this morning there were two. I find their appeals heart rending but I can't support them all - so how do you choose?

Joplin Thu 10-Sep-20 15:39:22

Animal charities - animals have suffered so much during ( & not only in ) lockdown.

Dareyouto Thu 10-Sep-20 15:56:36

I prefer to fund local charities especially my local hospice. I would never, ever, send funds to any international charities such as Oxfam or UNICEF any more as they pay their admin such high salaries.

GreenGran78 Thu 10-Sep-20 16:22:51

Although my heart goes out to people caught up in disasters I am wary of donating to Relief Funds. It seems that a lot of the many £millions received doesn’t arrive to help the local people suffering from the after-effects.
We are inundated with charity appeals, these days, especially on tv. Almost every ad break seems to have someone trying to break our hearts. It’s impossible to support them all, and they must spend a fortune on advertising.
I sponsor a child through a small charity that I know has very low running costs. I support the Crohn’s And Colitis charity because my DH suffered from that debilitating condition, and a cure must be found. Apart from those I will always pop some change into a collecting tin, or sponsor anyone I know who is fundraising.

Greciangirl Thu 10-Sep-20 16:41:05

For years I have had a monthly direct debit to MSF.
Medicens Sans Frontiers. Doctors Without Borders.

Whenever there are emergencies or disasters anywhere in the world, they are there. Their work is invaluable.

Too many charities in this country to choose from.
Third world countries need aid much more.

JaneRn Thu 10-Sep-20 17:44:36

@Thisismyname1958n
I found that once you have given one McMillan one donation your name is permanently on their records and you are plagued with further requests. so I stopped responding.

Generally I give to animal charities,not the big ones but to ones which are smaller and perhaps local where you can see what the money is being used for.

Illte Thu 10-Sep-20 17:49:32

After my husband died I had endless demands requests from Macmillan for money in return for all the support they had given him.

Even though they were useless and actually lost us money by telling me I couldn't claim Carers Allowance.

Seajaye Thu 10-Sep-20 18:33:55

It depends what you can afford and your personal choice or if you are aware of the hood works being done in the community. There is more than one way to help charities, I give a small regular monthly donation to RSPB as animal charities do not qualify for any Lottery funding. I also give one off donations with gift aid to local charities particularly when there is an appeal, I also give items to the local food bank when I can, and give time through volunteering at another.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Sep-20 19:29:16

I agree about MSF Greciangirl. They are often already working on the ground in disaster areas, and know the territory and what is needed, whereas some charities rush in inappropriately. I think they are well worth supporting.

gillyjp Thu 10-Sep-20 20:10:50

I give monthly to London Air Ambulance and DH has a direct debit set up for Cats Protection. I gave a one-off recently to the Wild at Heart foundation. We also support the following with annual subscriptions: RHS, RSPB, Tate, National Gallery, English Heritage, National Trust.

Herbie9 Thu 10-Sep-20 20:24:33

I donate to Gt Ormond Street Hospital where my dear late grandson was treated. In his memory my daughter and sil have set up a charity which sponsors a number of Kenyan orphans through the education system giving these children the opportunity of a better future. My sil visited the orphanage last year- at his own expense - there are no overheads - to help out with some badly needed decorating. Just one of many small charities who work so hard to raise funds,

Mbuya Fri 11-Sep-20 02:04:59

I agree that selecting charities is very much a personal choice and also it depends on one's means. I do my homework before choosing a charity and support two local ones which have helped my family and a global animal welfare one. Charities can sometimes have large offices and admin costs especially if they operate globally. I also leave room for charities trying to cope with disasters. Support through committee work and other forms of volunteering is always welcome.

narrowboatnan Fri 11-Sep-20 20:02:39

DotMH1901

I rarely donate to big charities - so much of their money goes on paying huge salaries to their Chair and other senior managers. My friend has been involved for decades with a village in Gambia and goes out there teaching during the Summer holidays - she collects clothing and books and equipment etc so I donate to her as I know 100% of what is given gets to the children and adults who need it. The village now has its own school which is well equipped, has a football team and is now a training centre for new teachers to study at.

Funnily enough, I support a young Gambian man (but not his whole village!). When he was in full time education I sent him notebooks, calculators and other stationary items. Now he has completed his education I’m helping him with money for food as he was working in the tourist industry but that is closed down for now. His monthly salary was £30 so that is what I send him. He always sends me pictures of what he has bought, and the meals his mother has made. As often as he can he will share his purchases with his neighbours who are also struggling. There is some help from the Gambian government, but not a lot. I would rather ‘donate’ this way, direct to a cause, than give to a bigger organisation where a small percentage of money given reaches the front line.