Gransnet forums

Chat

For all the 'Slack Alices'

(124 Posts)
Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:18:31

I know there are multiple meanings for this phrase but this thread is in response to those requests for it in the 'no longer bothering with make up and smart clothes' thread.
Smartly dressed, coiffed and made up Grans need read no further!
Back to the topic, I live in M&S straight legged joggers (with lovely stretchy waistband) and assorted sweatshirts and will shortly moved into cosy fleeces. Unlike some, I haven't ditched a bra as I found M&S crop top bralettes very comfortable and, along with their fine big pants, all is safely gathered in!
I wore make up every day in life until I retired and discovered one day that if I didn't wear make up nobody fainted or screamed and pointed and life went on.
All this shows in my face. I feel more relaxed. Due to not having to remove make up with various unguents my skin is clearer and less dry and wrinkled. Of course that could be due to all the fat pushing them out. I have munched my way happily throughout lockdown. I've really let myself go and it's great!
Any more Slack Alices out there with top slack tips?

MissAdventure Fri 11-Sep-20 12:58:24

That's me. Claire Rayners body on Twiggy's legs, as a friend once remarked.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Sep-20 13:08:07

Actually, when you think about it, it's just like being as low maintenance as a man!

NfkDumpling Fri 11-Sep-20 13:08:57

I'm in your club Jane. I do wear moisturiser as I now have dry skin and its factor 30. Otherwise its denims, multi-coloured drapey trousers or mid length shorts and easy loose tops. And the bra is only worn when I go out in summer as my boobs tend to join forces with my belly and that's a really bad look.

seacliff Fri 11-Sep-20 13:09:19

Just got home from coffee with a friend sitting in a sunny courtyard cafe garden. I wore my M & S navy straight leg joggers, longer white vest top and pretty blue patterned shirt, strappy flat sandals navy patent leather. No bra as not needed with top over. I'd washed and rough dried my hair. it is just below chin and wavy. Minimal make up. I felt comfortable and happy. That is my norm when out these days. I guess that makes me a slack Alice. There are some awful definitions when googling. shock

Some days if not going out, I wear my Asda leisure pyjamas, black with pattern, and white cotton t shirts. I feel a bit guilty about this for some reason, as I am perfectly respectable to open the door. I have older joggers and tatty t shirts for doing proper cleaning.

I DO still dye my hair myself, takes half an hour every 5/6 weeks. And remove hair popping up in wrong places.

MissAdventure Fri 11-Sep-20 13:11:36

Really, can you imagine men at work?
"Oh Pete, your eyes look lovely!"
"Thanks Martin, it's probably the new highlighting pearls I'm using..."

EllanVannin Fri 11-Sep-20 13:15:07

Oh dear, I put lipstick on just to bring the bin in earlier grin

MissAdventure Fri 11-Sep-20 13:17:59

My mum was like that with her lippy. smile

DanniRae Fri 11-Sep-20 13:25:49

That really made me laugh MissAdventure ......... thank you grin
I wear no makeup - but do get my hair cut and coloured. I definitely should wash it more often and when I do I always think "Oh, it looks so much better. I must do it every few days instead of leaving it longer blush"
I always wear elastic waist trousers or leggings with comfortable long tops. My underwear may or may not match ....... I really don't care but never big pants - So I am definitely a Slack Alice but maybe not a dedicated one?

DanniRae Fri 11-Sep-20 13:27:25

I meant to say that I feel sorry for all the Alice's out there!

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:29:31

Once you go 'slack' there's no going back!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:35:11

Jane10

Once you go 'slack' there's no going back!

Oh dear I am doomed from now then ??

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 13:36:05

Yes. Doomed to a life of comfort and ease!

vampirequeen Fri 11-Sep-20 13:42:33

I have my 'home' clothes and my 'out' clothes. That's only because my home trousers are so loose and comfy that they tend to fall down when I walk and I don't want to be mistaken for a geriatric New York Gangsta. Although even if my trousers did fall down they'd only expose my comfy, big M&S knickers. I only wear makeup on high days and holidays - usually when I feel the need to hide behind a mask. But one thing I can't give up is defuzzing. I suppose I could leave my legs and armpits but if I don't do my face on a regular basis I'd turn into St Barbara.

NanKate Fri 11-Sep-20 14:26:26

Wasn’t Slack Alice Larry grayson’s friend ? I’m not like her nor the other end of the spectrum like Mrs Slocombe and her ?. I’m more in between like the actress from Butterflies, Wendy Craig.

TerriBull Fri 11-Sep-20 14:39:32

I've veered slightly into Slack Alicedom, I still shower every day, but sometimes not first thing in the morning, it can be the afternoon instead, after I've done either some yoga or had a walk, or both. I don't wear much in the way of make up, just moisturiser, but I do pay attention to my eyebrows, quite a lot of products for them and high lighter pencil under the brow, particularly as we have to express ourselves with our eyes so much more now mouth is covered when out and about! If I'm not really going out anywhere in particular I put some clean leggings and a long shirt over them, I've got umpteen and they are like a second skin. I don't feel much need to go and buy anything clothes wise. Had to go to our local town yesterday and didn't really miss any of the clothes shops, headed straight to Waterstones instead.

Finally got to the hairdresser last week, had the whole lot done, roots, highlights, cut blow dry. So that at least is sorted for a while

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 14:42:54

Yes I remembered the name from Larry Grayson and thought it fitted us Grans who have 'let ourselves go'. Such a lovely concept. Hooray ?.
In fact I feel sorry for the poor Grans still confined to tight clothing and lots of slap. Whatever though. Its up to them.

lemongrove Fri 11-Sep-20 14:45:03

Jane10 thanks for an amusing OP and thread.?
Perhaps I could be a friend of ‘the slack Alice club’ without really being a full member?
Undies have to match, and whatever I wear usually ‘goes’ well together, I always wear earrings and a squirt of perfume, but this year have mostly just used a moisturiser, ( I only wear light make up anyway) to go somewhere.
I sometimes sneak into pjs early in the evening if nothing much is happening, for comfort, with a shapeless favourite cardi wrapped round me.?

SueDonim Fri 11-Sep-20 15:02:02

I love the term Slack Alice. I think it’s an old Navy term, as my Dh used it well before Larry Grayson. Also Sweaty Betty, which is now a brand of leisure wear.

I’m a Slack Alice at home but doll myself up to go out. More because it’s a change and something to do than anything else! I look a lot better with make up on, because I’m naturally pale skinned and people always think I’m ill if I’m au naturale. ?

Greeneyedgirl Fri 11-Sep-20 15:29:25

I’m so happy you started this thread Jane10 as I’m a prize winning Slack Alice. Don’t dress for others, just for myself, and would rather rely on personality, than clothes for confidence. No hair dye, dislike the chemicals and yes Jane Doomed indeed to a life of comfort.
As I said on another thread, in answer to letting oneself go, there’s lots of fun at the bottom of the slippery slope.??

Glorybee Fri 11-Sep-20 15:44:02

I’m a natural Slack Alice, haven’t t worn make up for years and have now gone short haired with no more dye in lockdown. I love the different greys now.

If I wear jeans and sandals, I only shave as much lower leg as is likely to be seen when the jeans go up when I sit down, is anyone else as Slack as that? ?

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 15:53:01

It's not a competition everybody. There's no prize for the Slackest Alice. Probably just as well. I hate to think how bad it might get!!
I note a fair few wannabe Slack Alice's. Come on those Grans. Dump the slap and the tight waistbands you have nothing to lose but your standards. Ours left a while ago!

Glorybee Fri 11-Sep-20 16:01:33

Jane10 mine wasn’t a call to compete, more of a ‘top slack tip’, although having confessed to such slackery, the question was more geared to hoping I’m not the only one who does this! ?

Baggs Fri 11-Sep-20 16:08:57

Had to look at this thread because I've never heard the expression "slack Alice" before.

It seems I am one. I've never worn make-up. Can't be arsed with all the faff. I spent many years cycling to work and liked to splash cold water over my face when I arrived. You can't do that if you wear make-up.

In addition, clothes that are uncomfortable (too tight), are no-go and always have been. Ditto shoes. If I can't walk ten miles in a pair of shoes then they are unsuitable. Fashion can go to hell. Comfort is all.

You can still be smart with all the above 'limits'.

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:08:57

Glorybee that's fine. I used to wax my legs (a bit) but gave up and it stopped growing anyway. Just lucky I guess.

Alima Fri 11-Sep-20 16:16:26

Not totally sold on the moniker “slack Alice”, for not dressing smartly, always thought it meant a woman with slack morals. Can picture Les Dawson saying it right now. Rather thought the RN expression most apt was “scran bag”, ie looks like they’ve raided the lost property box to get tarted up for a run ashore. Though who am I to argue, been put in my place many, many times on here, carry on being slack all.