Gransnet forums

Chat

That word, I mean non-word, womxn: how to say it

(149 Posts)
Baggs Sat 12-Sep-20 13:26:01

I'm not going to say it out loud but I read it sometimes and wonder how I should be pronouncing it in my head.

Suggestions, please (apart from "oh, for god's sake!", obv).

ElaineI Sun 13-Sep-20 15:44:03

I have never heard of it.

NanKate Sun 13-Sep-20 16:49:14

Do you think Lollipop Ladies/Men will become Lollipop Suckers ?

Galaxy Sun 13-Sep-20 16:58:33

I was talking about sex gagajo. That's why I used the word.

GagaJo Sun 13-Sep-20 19:22:18

So what sex is someone with indeterminate genitals Galaxy? Or someone who has a range of XX, XXX, XY, XXY chromosomes? They can look quite 'normal' to the observer. I know a teenager like this.

Humans aren't all binary opposites.

Galaxy Sun 13-Sep-20 19:58:28

Are you talking about intersex gagajo, the people who have begged not to be dragged into this debate, well they are either male or female as well with a developmental sex disorder, you might want to read claire graham who advocates for intersex rights, (being intersex herself) she was banned from twitter for saying what I have just said. She would not be happy to be called a third sex if that is what you are implying. She is very knowledgable about issues relating to this if you are interested.

JuneRose Sun 13-Sep-20 20:48:47

Never heard of it confused

GagaJo Sun 13-Sep-20 21:01:02

The person I know that fits one of those categories identifies as a woman. Technically, by your standards, she isnt. You ok with that?

The point is, nature isn't as simple as only male and female. Sex and gender don't give only 2 options. They are a continuum. Pretending it's either / or is a false distinction.

Why is a bodily anomaly acceptable but a mental / psychological one not?

I'm not claiming a third sex. As I said, continuum. We all fall on it somewhere. Some of us look like one end and feel like the other. Some feel they're nearer the middle. Some, the lucky ones, because they have it easiest, look and feel like one end of the continuum. Many cultures have evidence of this.

You don't get to choose for others. And the core message of feminism is choice.

Sex/gender is the most rigidly enforced social structure we have.

Doodledog Sun 13-Sep-20 21:33:29

Gender is often rigidly enforced, but I think that if it weren’t then those who currently feel the need to transition might be happy living as their biological sex but behaving in whichever (currently) gendered ways make them most comfortable. At the same time, everyone else - is those who are generally comfortable with both their sex and their gender - could opt in and out of particular behaviours, depending on preference.

Far less invasive all round, and the option to transition could remain available to those who still feel that they are the wrong sex rather than that they are being forced to conform to inappropriate gender roles.

We have a long way to go before that would be fully achieved, even if we (as society as a whole) started now and everyone was fully on board, but IMO it would result in a fairer and more tolerant society for people of any and all sexes and genders.

grannypiper Sun 13-Sep-20 21:40:37

Woman, simply woman

JuneRose Sun 13-Sep-20 22:31:57

Beam me up Scottie.... It's all gone mad down here on planet mumbo jumbo

Riverwalk Mon 14-Sep-20 19:40:46

Sex/gender is the most rigidly enforced social structure we have

I'm sorry Gaga - gender is indeed a social structure; sex is a biological fact.

GagaJo Mon 14-Sep-20 21:36:10

How do you account for the much wider variation of chromosomes than just XX and XY then?

EllanVannin Mon 14-Sep-20 21:48:08

Woman if it's one. Women if it's more than one.

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 22:04:56

GagaJo

How do you account for the much wider variation of chromosomes than just XX and XY then?

Males have XY chromosomes
Females have XX chromosomes

Chromosomes do not define gender

Elegran Tue 15-Sep-20 08:09:34

Normally a baby receives an X from the mother and either an X or a Y from the father. Mostly, it is clear at birth from an external view whether they have XX for a girl or XY for a boy, but sometimes the appearance is confusing and a wrong attribution is made, causing the child to be brought up as though it is the wrong sex, causing problems later.

Any combination of chromosomes other than XX or XY is due to an anomaly in the transmission of those chromosomes from the two parents - as much of a genetic mistake as when a different extra chromosome produces a Down's Syndrome child. These X/Y anomalies can produce variations in sexual preference, but not always. There are many other factors involved in sexual preference, and in what gender an individual perceives themselves as.

The majority of those wishing to transition from male to female, or vice versa, are not doing so because of their chromosomes, but because their image of themselves doesn't match their chromosomal makeup which cannot be changed as it is inherent in every cell of their bodies, not just the primary and secondary sexual organs This is the difference between sex and gender.

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 09:17:38

Can't help posting this-10 cultures which recognise more than 2 genders listverse.com/2018/10/03/10-societies-that-recognize-more-than-two-genders/
It's interesting.

Elegran Tue 15-Sep-20 10:17:01

Interesting, Trisher. Also interesting that most of those people regard(ed) themselves as of separate genders, not as "standard" male or female, though in a Western culture they might have said that they were one or the other. Perhaps that is because of the attitude of the West toward males showing any interest in culturally "feminine" traits, and vice versa?

I have vague memories of long ago reading (possibly Margaret Mead) of societies where it was customary for the women to do the hard physical work and make all the decisions, while the men spent most of their time sitting around wearing bling, playing music, and gossiping.

Doodledog Tue 15-Sep-20 10:49:06

Your article trisher is what I meant in my previous post when I said that it would be better to remove gender expectations than to expect people to choose a sex in order to conform to our society’s idea of how sex and gender should equate.

trisher Tue 15-Sep-20 11:02:53

It is difficult isn't it? People are given a choice you can be this or that. It is probably the one area of our life where we have to do that. Interesting as well that where Britain governed the historically accepted genders were ruthlessly condemned.

Witzend Tue 15-Sep-20 11:11:28

I like Suziewoozie’s pronunciation best! ?

Elegran Tue 15-Sep-20 12:59:49

Could be that the celibate clergy of Western Christianity had an influence on the colonialists, just as Roman Christianity was itself influenced by St Augustine's opinion of women (wicked Jezebels, tempting men into sin!) and by the Roman view of sexuality (Roman men were macho men and their wives were women, with defined duties that did not include politics. It was Ok for men to also have sexual relations with passive young males, but men could not even contemplate being penetrated without horror at the decadent Eastern habit)

GagaJo Tue 15-Sep-20 13:05:43

Elegran, our culture designates these variants mistakes. In actuality, there are many ways of being human.

100 years ago, homosexuality was seen as a mental illness. Mostly, we're past that now. If only we could get past having issues about matching genitalia to gender.

GagaJo Tue 15-Sep-20 13:06:49

trisher

Can't help posting this-10 cultures which recognise more than 2 genders listverse.com/2018/10/03/10-societies-that-recognize-more-than-two-genders/
It's interesting.

Exactly Trisher.