Gransnet forums

Chat

RIP Terence Conran

(37 Posts)
kittylester Sat 12-Sep-20 14:27:42

This news made me so sad - the end of an era if you are as old as me!

sodapop Sat 12-Sep-20 19:47:58

Another Habitat fan here as well, I remember buying some bedding and curtains there and they lasted for years, washed and wore so well. I could wander round their shop for hours.
RIP Terence Conran.

Alegrias Sat 12-Sep-20 19:49:29

Tonight we drank our post-dinner coffee from our little Habitat coffee cups and remembered Terence Conran. We couldn't afford the furniture, only the coffee cups!

Callistemon Sat 12-Sep-20 19:51:26

We haven't got the dining set any more Dianahmo but still have bedroom furniture (also second-hand but very serviceable).
Although I do prefer the MFI furniture in the spare bedroom - still very modern!

Susan56 Sat 12-Sep-20 21:14:45

I loved Habitat too.Like many of you,my first house was furnished from Habitat.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Sep-20 22:11:02

I’ll never forget Shirley Conran’s quote of ‘life is to short to stuff a mushroom’.

Badgranma Sat 12-Sep-20 22:50:09

I was born in the 60s so maybe missed all the fun ? but am still curious about the chicken brick? Was it a terracotta chicken shaped pot? I remember seeing something like that but we never had one. Did it work? Was it unglazed? How come the juice didn’t leak out? So many questions......

Grandmafrench Sat 12-Sep-20 23:44:27

Here's the Chicken Brick, Badgranma. Bottom corner of photo. It worked, it was unglazed, it was solid earthenware in two parts - leakproof in the oven.

In the 1977 catalogue £2.45 including instructions !!

NotAGran55 Sun 13-Sep-20 07:01:16

I love Habitat and furnished my flat almost entirely from there.

Would love to be able to do the same from his last venture.

benchmarkfurniture.com/our-story/

RIP Terence .

Purpledaffodil Sun 13-Sep-20 07:55:04

Our first furniture was two brown covered chairs with a beech frame and rubber “Springing”. We bought the matching settee (which was flat pack in a large cardboard box) at Tottenham Court Road Habitat and carried it home on the tube, then the train back to rural Bedfordshire. We had no car then so carried it from the station too. Daft but happy days. RIP Terence.

Jane10 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:26:13

Another chicken brick owner here! Habitat was where we most liked to browse when setting up our first home. We were given lots of Habitat items large and small. The shops were so smart. Quite a kick up the backside for other furniture and furnishings shops. Pored over the catalogues too.
We were also given lots of crystal glasses as wedding presents and still have them along with my parents, grandparents and in-laws glasses. The trouble is that no one seems to want them any more as they're too small for current appetites for alcohol. sad. I used to work in the crystal department of a large store and decanters were very popular presents. They languish unwanted too these days.

Jane10 Sun 13-Sep-20 08:28:24

GrandmaFrench our chicken brick looked like a chicken. Was in two parts and unglazed. Its a DDs or I'd photograph it. Must have been a later model!