Gransnet forums

Chat

Why is everyone so bothered about the rule of 6 and Christmas.....

(109 Posts)
M0nica Mon 14-Sep-20 19:15:05

...or Halloween. Remember the shut down at the end of Ramadan? The evening before Eid, the big celebration for Muslims, with homes and restaurants stacked with food and tables laid. Then the government pulled the rug from under them. No national outrage then.

What about Diwali, due mid November? I haven't seen any outrage over the fact that that celebration as well will be affected. As it is six weeks before Christmas, it is more likely to be affected.

Yes, we all love Christmas and Halloween, it will be sad if there are limitations, but let us remember all those other communities who do not celebrate Christmas and whose own celebrations and festivals, are as important to them as Christmas is to us, currently, they seem to be expected to just grin and bear it. If they have/will have to do it then so can we.

Shropshirelass Sun 20-Sep-20 09:20:18

I am not bothered about Christmas, haven't been for a few years now. We used to have big family celebrations but now that the old ones are no longer with us and youngsters have moved away it is not the same. It is too commercial too. I am not being bah humbug either!!! . As long as everyone stays safe from this awful virus it really doesn't matter. Perhaps it will get things back in perspective as to what life's values are.

MawB2 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:28:17

In our family we try to have a rule that nobody mentions the “C” word before October! But I have come to the realisation that it is not a good thing to have inflexible Christmas traditions because the one year that somebody wants to do something different, somebody is going to feel hurt.
“But we always go to Granny” or “The children always come to me” etc - leads to setting ourselves up for heartache. .

Rosalyn69 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:44:19

What MawB2 says. Exactly right.

BlueSky Sun 20-Sep-20 09:58:06

Christmas is now more or less like any other Sunday since our DC and DGC moved overseas and the older generation passed away. I've always liked Christmas and still try to make something of it. Just the two of us so the'rule of 6' doesn't apply. ?

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 16:40:25

It was actually our turn not to have any of the family on Christmas Day this year - they all alternate coming to us with going to the inlaws. I've a feeling the rule of 6, if it still applies, might mean we will end up with a few visitors after all. It's an ill wind and all that.....

watermeadow Sun 20-Sep-20 17:50:45

We are having a family gathering long before Christmas. One daughter has a seriously ill child and wants family support.
If asked why twelve of us are together I shall reply that we are grouse-shooting, so the rules don’t apply.

Iam64 Sun 20-Sep-20 19:41:26

Good for you watermeadow. I do hope your daughter’s child is ok

biba70 Sun 20-Sep-20 19:44:20

so sorry to hear watermeadow- and good for you for not losing your sense of humour in such difficult times. Yes, get the deer stalkers and bright plastic water guns ready- and have wonderful fun all together x