Gransnet forums

Chat

What would your husbands answer be ?

(100 Posts)
paddyanne Tue 15-Sep-20 23:36:14

My OH came downstairs chuckling,he's been on a phone call to a friend celebrating a big anniversary .When he asked his friend what he appreciated about the years with his wife the answer was" She's always kept a good clean house" Imust say I'd hope my husband appreciated me for more than CLEANING!! What would you expect your OH to say if he was asked?
m

villababe Wed 16-Sep-20 10:22:19

I just asked my husband this - expecting a flippant answer. He took a while and said there are many things but I know you make me a better person than I would be on my own.
I actually feel a bit choked up now. Bless him

Chaitriona Wed 16-Sep-20 10:22:48

My daughter asked my husband the other day, “Why did you marry Mum?” And he said, “because she was beautiful and intelligent”. I was so delighted. Because he is not one to give compliments. I said, “I was not beautiful.” He said, “Well, pretty, then”, I said, “I am not even sure I was that pretty”. But he insisted, “you were very attractive”. Which I accepted in that there were a few other young men interested at the time and that is maybe more to do with who you are as a person rather than looks. He is a very good looking man himself and if he thought and still thinks I am beautiful, however deluded, that is good enough for me. But before anyone else hates me and feels I am boastful, we have just had a typical little row, so it is not all sweetness and light. But 51 years together.

Mindfogmummy Wed 16-Sep-20 10:26:13

We belly laugh about the silliest things. I’m quite a serious person and their are few people I actually “laugh” with and he’s similar. I’d like to think he would say that. But he probably wouldn’t ??

TerriBull Wed 16-Sep-20 10:29:12

Soul mates! that's what we've always told each other and it's true, plus we have the same sense of humour which is important to us. I know he'd praise my looks, hair, body etc., and tells me off when I'm self deprecating about anything physical, but I know I'm not alone, many women are the same. Then my culinary skills, he always tells me I cook lovely meals, cakes etc., but not my cleaning skills, although, I'm pretty house proud and dislike a mess, I lack elbow grease apparently! So does he now, which is why he hired a cleaner a few years ago, nothing to do with me!

Humbertbear Wed 16-Sep-20 10:30:34

My husband married me for my brains and my independence but I think now he would say that he values the way I have kept him alive

BlueSky Wed 16-Sep-20 10:37:38

Same answer if I was asked. "He put up with me all these years"! grin

f77ms Wed 16-Sep-20 10:40:02

I am divorced but would love my partner (if i had one) to say that i was his best friend. I always had the feelinf that my x wanted the mum he had always wanted. His mum was not very loving.

threexnanny Wed 16-Sep-20 10:45:29

I haven't asked mine but I know he would immediately ask me the same question. My answer would be he's an intelligent man with good practical skills and he gives good hugs!

Summerfly Wed 16-Sep-20 10:45:50

I’ve just asked my DH. He said I’m good fun to be with and the best friend he’s ever had. That’s made my day. ?

MaryFinn Wed 16-Sep-20 10:57:46

I'm on my own now because my two exes did not appreciate me! I think they both wanted a mother figure and both were extremely lazy at home, among other things!

I think the best answer would be something along the lines of: "Life would be so much harder without you!"

I'm quite happy on my btw! My younger son is off to uni this week and I'm hoping to start a new life with new opportunities, but probably things will stay as they are but with a tidier house (here's hoping!).

EllanVannin Wed 16-Sep-20 11:00:07

"Everything", which is what my H wrote on a card weeks before he died. " Thankyou for Everything " it said.

ShazzaKanazza Wed 16-Sep-20 11:01:09

I just asked my husband this question after 36 years and granted he was stood in front of me and maybe daren’t day any other but he said it’s all the time we spend together. Aww, wether he’d say the same if his friends asked him but I think he would.

Tweedle24 Wed 16-Sep-20 11:21:21

I am sure mine would have said something similar with tongue in cheek.

vampirequeen Wed 16-Sep-20 11:21:24

Just asked mine. He said that he appreciates the contented physical contact ie. sitting quietly holding hands and not feeling the need to fill the silence.

Sgilley Wed 16-Sep-20 11:22:57

Mine just told me it’s my constancy.

grandmac Wed 16-Sep-20 11:26:59

Don't know what mine would have said but my son in his speech at his wedding finished it by telling his bride "you make me want to be a better man". I'd settle for that!

LauraNorder Wed 16-Sep-20 11:35:15

Just asked Mr Norder, his answer was ‘everything’.
Either lovely and romantic or lazy and unimaginative answer.
I’ll go for the former, I’d say the same about him, well almost everything.

LauraMeredith Wed 16-Sep-20 11:39:49

When my mother died the man who was going to conduct the funeral asked my dad what he would like said about mum. The answer was '' she enjoyed her housework''! And yes, it was mentioned at the funeral. I really hope my husband can remember me for something better than that!

orly Wed 16-Sep-20 11:53:26

I sat on the end of the bed, looking into the mirror as I brushed my hair and sighed. "What's the matter?" asked my husband of 40 years. "Look at me", I replied, "My boobs are sagging, my hair's falling out, I've got bags under my eyes and my tummy is flabby".
"Cheer up" he said "at least there's nothing wrong with your eyesight"

ElaineRI55 Wed 16-Sep-20 12:00:52

My husband says I'm his best friend. He tells me every day that he loves me and compliments me often. I'm blessed to have such a lovely husband. It's third time lucky for me though!

JadeOlivia Wed 16-Sep-20 12:09:07

Mine would say " never a dull moment" ...which is fine by me.

vampirequeen Wed 16-Sep-20 12:09:07

DH has just added another comment but it would be tmi grin

knspol Wed 16-Sep-20 12:10:34

I've just asked and he surprised me by saying flexibility and travelling. Still pondering this...

Rozzy Wed 16-Sep-20 12:22:25

Hilarious!!!!

Rozzy Wed 16-Sep-20 12:23:37

I meant that as a response to ElaineRI55!