Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you know you can now send parcels whilst self isolating?

(38 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Sep-20 10:17:49

Yesterday I had a leaflet from Royal Mail about their new Parcel Collect Service. You measure and weigh the parcel you want to send, enter details online, pay and print off a label, to stick on the parcel. Then you tick for your postman to collect it whilst delivering your post, and if you are self isolating a safe place he can collect it from.

This seems a great idea to me. At last I can send my great niece her birthday present from 4 months ago!

I have also joined online banking, something I thought I would never do, so I could get the app for my mobile phone and I can now pay in cheques from home without leaving the house.

MawB2 Wed 16-Sep-20 10:37:20

What a good idea - wish I’d known about that back in April/May!

lucyanne Wed 16-Sep-20 10:41:03

Well done with the online banking. I resisted until recently.

Lots of companies do a parcel collection service. In my area MyHermes is the cheapest 2 kg for the price of 1 kg Royal Mail. Most companies work on the same principle book the pick up date and they send you a link to print a label. You usually have to add a second label inside the parcel so do not seal the package until you have enclosed the label. They will pick the parcel up from your doorstep and send a picture by email to confirm collection. A second email is sent when the parcel is received. I suggest a google search for Parcel collect in your area.

cornergran Wed 16-Sep-20 10:42:02

I’ve paid for postage in this way for large letters/small packets and the taken them to a post box, didn’t know there was a collection option. Thanks for the information.

Ilovecheese Wed 16-Sep-20 10:43:06

Thank you 25Avalon that is really useful to know.

Daddima Wed 16-Sep-20 10:49:30

I took a parcel to the Post Office last week, and it was to be £13. My daughter in law was with me, and said she would send it via Hermes. It cost £5 from her nearest pick up shop, but collection from home would have been 75p.

Dorsetcupcake61 Wed 16-Sep-20 11:55:36

Daddima thankyou. I've found a few ways online of getting presents to people but some things I have had to use Royal Mail for. Never thought of using Hermes. I have had parcels delivered by them but always assumed just for business use .

felice Wed 16-Sep-20 12:01:21

A housebound friend in Scotland has had a service for years where the postman collects any mail including parcels.

She knows of others too, she says the postman was delivering to her one morning and asked if she wanted to sign up to the service.
Perhaps ask the postman ????

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 12:15:17

Thank you so much for sharing that OP. Why on Earth is this not publicised?

Pittcity Wed 16-Sep-20 13:53:46

It must be only in certain areas. There is no mention on the Royal Mail website or app.

YorkLady Wed 16-Sep-20 14:07:24

This is a great idea and would be very helpful. Unfortunately we don’t have a printer for the labels sad

25Avalon Wed 16-Sep-20 14:15:43

According to the leaflet you visit parcel.royalmail.com. Go to “Buy your postage online, enter your parcel size and weight and choose your service. You then click the ‘Parcel Collect’ option and choose a home collection or nominate a safe place for us to collect your item from. Print your postage label and stick it on your parcel. Your postie will collect your parcel on their usual round and you’ll receive a confirmation to say it’s been collected.“

That’s what it says anyway. Pittcity I went online and unless you knew from the leaflet you wouldn’t know you could do this. They need to make it clearer on the web site.

Cs783 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:23:45

As to not having a printer for labels - I've recently had to return a large parcel and went online to find a service. Parcelforce were reasonable and included an option at no extra cost to include a pre-printed label. That was my experience - other services may do this too.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 14:29:34

If you buy stuff from the long river co.pany they will gift wrap and you can deliver to the recipient. We have their Prime subscription so it is delivered free. Did this with a pa ice present for middle daughter who said the gift wrap (which was my worry) was fine.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:18

Not pa ice but panic!

Auntieflo Wed 16-Sep-20 16:04:57

I bought a couple of pairs of school trousers for our GS, ( new from a charity shop) and looked up getting a Hermes label to send them. What I didn't realise is that you cannot just drop off at a local pick up point, or at least I couldn't find the way to do it. If I had used this Transglobal ? label, by the time the pick up charge had been added , it was going to cost about £10.00. ( can't remember exactly how much now, but a lot)

I ended up printing off a Royal Mail label for £2.95. Thought that was reasonable. So it will go in the post tomorrow.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Sep-20 16:07:28

Thanks for this OP - very useful info.

Pittcity Wed 16-Sep-20 16:47:53

I buy postage online all the time and we have a parcel post box nearby. I have never seen this option. I think it must be certain areas only.
Thanks Avalon.

polnan Thu 17-Sep-20 10:23:20

oh this is very good to know..
now I used to send cards/letters to online friends in America, but having to go to the PO made me unable..

so can we do it with say, Christmas Cards to go abroad do you know?

Juniper1 Thu 17-Sep-20 10:25:58

I send birthday gifts during lockdown via Dpd they unpacked it all, taking all the wrapping paper off before delivering the parts in the original box. When I complained they said they always check the contents. But there was no information regarding this on their website or during a prior phone call. They did refund part of the cost.

ReadyMeals Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:54

I had a cutlery set I wanted to send to my daughter in law. Hermes won't take a parcel that contains knives of any sort, but UPS took it. In fact most courier companies will collect from private individuals.

Missee Thu 17-Sep-20 11:08:11

My DD lives in Tasmania and I send parcels via DHL if anyone knows of a cheaper way I’d be grateful. Often the postage outweighs the value of the contents but they love to receive parcels.

Juicylucy Thu 17-Sep-20 11:10:28

I use exactly same service with a company called Parcel to go.

babsM Thu 17-Sep-20 11:21:52

I’ve done this! Our local post office is a car ride away & very small, so I’ve not felt comfortable going in. I’ve printed all my postage recently, even for the postbox. But our postie has taken my parcels for me. Not seen the box to tick for collection though!

Aepgirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:34:58

Pity the poor postman having to pick up parcels on his round - my postie rides a bike!