Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you know you can now send parcels whilst self isolating?

(39 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Sep-20 10:17:49

Yesterday I had a leaflet from Royal Mail about their new Parcel Collect Service. You measure and weigh the parcel you want to send, enter details online, pay and print off a label, to stick on the parcel. Then you tick for your postman to collect it whilst delivering your post, and if you are self isolating a safe place he can collect it from.

This seems a great idea to me. At last I can send my great niece her birthday present from 4 months ago!

I have also joined online banking, something I thought I would never do, so I could get the app for my mobile phone and I can now pay in cheques from home without leaving the house.

Wilma65 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:51:03

I can’t see where to click for collection. How do I do it?

rowyn Thu 17-Sep-20 11:55:35

I've been doing this through lockdown but didn''t know about the collection service. However, as most parcels have been fairly small, I just take them to the special parcel collection box outside our Sorting Office.

jenpax Thu 17-Sep-20 12:03:17

No good for me I don’t have a printer

jenni123 Thu 17-Sep-20 13:08:44

Hermes is cheaper than Royal Mail

Bluecat Thu 17-Sep-20 13:25:30

I wouldn't send parcels with the Royal Mail, as they are much too expensive. When I have sent parcels to my family in the USA, I have used a comparison site such as Parcel2Go, which offers you a choice of carriers. I think that we used mainly UPS and ParcelMonkey. ParcelHero is a good site too. These sites have a number of national and international carriers and they will collect from your door. You can also choose - when you are not self-isolating - to drop it off at a local pick-up point, usually a shop. Loads cheaper than the Royal Mail.

SpeedyEdi Thu 17-Sep-20 13:39:55

Great to know, thank you. I had a problem with Hermes recently. There is no one to speak to if your parcel goes missing.

bobbydog24 Thu 17-Sep-20 14:01:31

I’m in the same boat jenpax, no printer.

Daisymae Thu 17-Sep-20 14:01:48

I have just had a quick look and there's no collection option, which is a shame. I would have definitely used it.

NanaandGrampy Thu 17-Sep-20 14:07:29

We have an extremely kind postman who knocked every morning during lockdown and took away any pre paid parcels destined for the post office to save us the worry .

We do live in a small rural community though and know our postman.

Davida1968 Thu 17-Sep-20 16:50:28

Another vote here for Parcel2go. I found this was great for sending a large parcel overseas, very recently. I took it to a local "collection centre" (the shop at our local garage) but I could have opted for it to be collected from us. (Yes you do need access to a printer: but we've printed labels for a neighbour - without them being in our home.)

rowanflower0 Thu 17-Sep-20 19:01:03

Hermes have the same service but cheaper - it's great! Print and pay on line then drop off or have it collected.

Annefozzie Thu 17-Sep-20 22:59:33

My daughter lives In Luxembourg, does anyone know the best service to use. I always use post office but it is expensive. Christmas presents will need sending as I won’t be able to travel there this Christmas because of the virus?. I still want to send her some ‘home’ comforts, like mince pies!
Thanks

Granless Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:31

I send parcels to Australia- tracked - never have a problem, although they are taking longer to get there at present.