Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you know you can now send parcels whilst self isolating?

(39 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Sep-20 10:17:49

Yesterday I had a leaflet from Royal Mail about their new Parcel Collect Service. You measure and weigh the parcel you want to send, enter details online, pay and print off a label, to stick on the parcel. Then you tick for your postman to collect it whilst delivering your post, and if you are self isolating a safe place he can collect it from.

This seems a great idea to me. At last I can send my great niece her birthday present from 4 months ago!

I have also joined online banking, something I thought I would never do, so I could get the app for my mobile phone and I can now pay in cheques from home without leaving the house.

Granless Fri 18-Sep-20 11:18:31

I send parcels to Australia- tracked - never have a problem, although they are taking longer to get there at present.

Annefozzie Thu 17-Sep-20 22:59:33

My daughter lives In Luxembourg, does anyone know the best service to use. I always use post office but it is expensive. Christmas presents will need sending as I won’t be able to travel there this Christmas because of the virus?. I still want to send her some ‘home’ comforts, like mince pies!
Thanks

rowanflower0 Thu 17-Sep-20 19:01:03

Hermes have the same service but cheaper - it's great! Print and pay on line then drop off or have it collected.

Davida1968 Thu 17-Sep-20 16:50:28

Another vote here for Parcel2go. I found this was great for sending a large parcel overseas, very recently. I took it to a local "collection centre" (the shop at our local garage) but I could have opted for it to be collected from us. (Yes you do need access to a printer: but we've printed labels for a neighbour - without them being in our home.)

NanaandGrampy Thu 17-Sep-20 14:07:29

We have an extremely kind postman who knocked every morning during lockdown and took away any pre paid parcels destined for the post office to save us the worry .

We do live in a small rural community though and know our postman.

Daisymae Thu 17-Sep-20 14:01:48

I have just had a quick look and there's no collection option, which is a shame. I would have definitely used it.

bobbydog24 Thu 17-Sep-20 14:01:31

I’m in the same boat jenpax, no printer.

SpeedyEdi Thu 17-Sep-20 13:39:55

Great to know, thank you. I had a problem with Hermes recently. There is no one to speak to if your parcel goes missing.

Bluecat Thu 17-Sep-20 13:25:30

I wouldn't send parcels with the Royal Mail, as they are much too expensive. When I have sent parcels to my family in the USA, I have used a comparison site such as Parcel2Go, which offers you a choice of carriers. I think that we used mainly UPS and ParcelMonkey. ParcelHero is a good site too. These sites have a number of national and international carriers and they will collect from your door. You can also choose - when you are not self-isolating - to drop it off at a local pick-up point, usually a shop. Loads cheaper than the Royal Mail.

jenni123 Thu 17-Sep-20 13:08:44

Hermes is cheaper than Royal Mail

jenpax Thu 17-Sep-20 12:03:17

No good for me I don’t have a printer

rowyn Thu 17-Sep-20 11:55:35

I've been doing this through lockdown but didn''t know about the collection service. However, as most parcels have been fairly small, I just take them to the special parcel collection box outside our Sorting Office.

Wilma65 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:51:03

I can’t see where to click for collection. How do I do it?

Aepgirl Thu 17-Sep-20 11:34:58

Pity the poor postman having to pick up parcels on his round - my postie rides a bike!

babsM Thu 17-Sep-20 11:21:52

I’ve done this! Our local post office is a car ride away & very small, so I’ve not felt comfortable going in. I’ve printed all my postage recently, even for the postbox. But our postie has taken my parcels for me. Not seen the box to tick for collection though!

Juicylucy Thu 17-Sep-20 11:10:28

I use exactly same service with a company called Parcel to go.

Missee Thu 17-Sep-20 11:08:11

My DD lives in Tasmania and I send parcels via DHL if anyone knows of a cheaper way I’d be grateful. Often the postage outweighs the value of the contents but they love to receive parcels.

ReadyMeals Thu 17-Sep-20 11:04:54

I had a cutlery set I wanted to send to my daughter in law. Hermes won't take a parcel that contains knives of any sort, but UPS took it. In fact most courier companies will collect from private individuals.

Juniper1 Thu 17-Sep-20 10:25:58

I send birthday gifts during lockdown via Dpd they unpacked it all, taking all the wrapping paper off before delivering the parts in the original box. When I complained they said they always check the contents. But there was no information regarding this on their website or during a prior phone call. They did refund part of the cost.

polnan Thu 17-Sep-20 10:23:20

oh this is very good to know..
now I used to send cards/letters to online friends in America, but having to go to the PO made me unable..

so can we do it with say, Christmas Cards to go abroad do you know?

Pittcity Wed 16-Sep-20 16:47:53

I buy postage online all the time and we have a parcel post box nearby. I have never seen this option. I think it must be certain areas only.
Thanks Avalon.

suziewoozie Wed 16-Sep-20 16:07:28

Thanks for this OP - very useful info.

Auntieflo Wed 16-Sep-20 16:04:57

I bought a couple of pairs of school trousers for our GS, ( new from a charity shop) and looked up getting a Hermes label to send them. What I didn't realise is that you cannot just drop off at a local pick up point, or at least I couldn't find the way to do it. If I had used this Transglobal ? label, by the time the pick up charge had been added , it was going to cost about £10.00. ( can't remember exactly how much now, but a lot)

I ended up printing off a Royal Mail label for £2.95. Thought that was reasonable. So it will go in the post tomorrow.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 14:30:18

Not pa ice but panic!

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 14:29:34

If you buy stuff from the long river co.pany they will gift wrap and you can deliver to the recipient. We have their Prime subscription so it is delivered free. Did this with a pa ice present for middle daughter who said the gift wrap (which was my worry) was fine.