Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you making your garden winter lockdown ready?

(38 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 18-Sep-20 11:12:44

Following on from the, 'Are you making your homes winter lockdown ready?' thread, we're getting quite fired up (pun intended) with ideas for a garden/patio/yard makeover.

DD messaged last night feeling down because their move to London last year was going to be a great opportunity for us to see more of them. Obviously Covid has scuppered that but like everyone else we have to make the best of it.

She thinks that short visits for an hour or two outside will be safer than overnight stays so we're 'getting our Hygge on' - not just indoors but out! grin

We've ordered a firepit and I'm thinking up 'outdoor kitchen' ideas. There's an IKEA butcher's block lurking somewhere in the garage and we enough outdoor tables and chairs to fill a pub garden although we'll obviously stick to the rule of 6!

During the summer DH's large fishing umbrellas turned out to be better than a gazebo for keeping the wind and rain at bay so they'll no doubt be earning their keep.

Anyone else thinking about outdoor entertaining during the cold winter months or will you be pulling up the drawbridge?

farview Fri 18-Sep-20 12:58:41

Definitely not pulling up the drawbridge...if we are in lockdown in Winter...then I will be outside in the garden as much as possible...or I would go absolutely crazy....

Septimia Fri 18-Sep-20 12:59:45

I often feel that we should spend more time outdoors, especially in the summer. It would be nice to do so in the winter, too.

However, no matter how much heating etc we might install, we're still highly likely to be blown away by the wind that whistles down the valley here! And that's at all seasons.

Susan56 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:03:17

Our consevatory has doors all along the side that leads onto the patio so I’m thinking if we close the door into the house the conservatory and patio will make a good space for winter garden visits??

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 13:03:57

We got rid of our patio heater (environmentally unfriendly).

I hadn't thought of it but this has prompted me.
The rate I'm going I'll be able to offer everyone a very Hygge crochet blanket to wrap round themselves.

Has anyone got recipes for a barbecued Christmas dinner?
Barbecued sprouts?

Tabbycat Fri 18-Sep-20 13:09:58

Last year my sister's husband spatchcocked the turkey and cooked it on their barbecue - but then they do live in Australia!

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sep-20 13:52:00

Chiminea in situ, six snuggly blankets poised, bbq cleaned.

Pittcity Fri 18-Sep-20 13:58:31

We've had new fences and repainted everything. Will put up the gazebo and light the chiminea.... Bbq for 2 planned for tomorrow.

merlotgran Fri 18-Sep-20 14:08:58

www.primrose.co.uk/35m-35m-multipurpose-work-shelter-carport-party-gazebo-p-126649.html

We're thinking of ordering one of these. It will fit easily over the top of our stable door and bolt down on to the patio. It's really big so will cover two tables and chairs.

No doubt we'll go into another lockdown as soon as it's all up and running!! hmm

Ellianne Fri 18-Sep-20 14:16:55

Gazebo up and ready here. Ours has sides to it which can be rolled up or zipped down so we have positioned it to lead out from the double doors at back of the garage.

merlotgran Fri 18-Sep-20 14:32:47

DD will bring their patio heater with them when they visit then we can see if it's worth our while getting one. Hopefully the firepit will throw out plenty of heat.

Lexisgranny Fri 18-Sep-20 14:50:38

The sun is shining outside, but indoors I’m getting rugs ready to take tomorrow to the last cricket match of the season!

However we have had a big sort out in the shed this week, but sadly this has resulted in a pile of stuff in the garage waiting to go to the tip - this will probably require a picnic for whilst we sit in the queue! We are preparing lists for the garden centre, so we won’t get caught out like we did last March, when looking for toilet rolls took precedence over garden supplies. I have several garden makeover ideas, just waiting for an appropriate moment to share them with DH!

merlotgran Fri 18-Sep-20 14:58:10

I have several garden makeover ideas, just waiting for an appropriate moment to share them with DH!

I know that feeling. grin

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 15:12:00

My garden's never 'ready'. There are always about three hundred things that need doing. Fortunately we like wild.

Mapleleaf Fri 18-Sep-20 15:52:41

I'm afraid that come the winter, I won't be doing any outside eating as I can't abide being frozen. Chimineas and heaters are fine for a while if it's not blowing a gale, but our back garden gets very windy so not ideal for fire pits, etc, when it's breezy. (Don't think our neighbours would appreciate the smoke drifting across, either). I'm hoping, though, that during the autumn we will get into the garden on warmer, sunshiny days. ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sep-20 16:03:05

Getting it ready to view from behind the window?

So today planted a big pot with hyacinth Woodstock, tulip pink, pansies and cyclamen rose, pink and white for colour over autumn and winter if it isn’t too cold.

Callistemon Fri 18-Sep-20 17:16:30

I think I was rather over-enthusiastic at the Garden Centre the other day - I bought plants and bushes for spring colour but don't seem to have any room left to plant them!
Another one arrived by post about half an hour ago too.

We were trying to make life easier by doing away with some borders; looks like I'll DH will have to dig some more.

Dylant1234 Fri 18-Sep-20 17:28:47

I’ve put a gazebo over my outside table and weighed it down with sandbags filled with pebbles. Also bought a chiminea and waiting for some recycled smokeless fuel logs. Then I’ll make a cake and invite a friend or two around....

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sep-20 19:41:26

I live in Central Scotland so fat chance being able to sit out in winter! I'm slowly buying bulbs etc and adding to my garden. I have a summer house but it's unlikely to be warm enough in winter. However, I will try to get into the garden in winter as I think it will help

Azalea99 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:36:28

Many years ago, one November day in Spain, when the sun was out but the people weren’t, XH & I decided to go for a walk followed by a picnic. We drove to a nearby cove (Granadella, if anyone knows it) and walked up a hill to a ruined fort. Came back and unpacked the picnic things to have lunch on the beach, giggling about our frozen bodies being discovered, etc. However, the clever man had packed hot water bottles and made hot pasta for our lunch! The water bottles kept our legs and our lunch warm and it was one of the nicest picnics I’ve ever had!

Kate1949 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:52:48

I mentioned this on another thread yesterday. We have been having deliveries throughout the pandemic. DH has started popping to the shops occasionally. He came back yesterday and said 'I swear some people don't realise there's a pandemic going on'.

hicaz46 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:53:03

We had the same thoughts of continuing to offer coffee and cakes to friends during the better winter days. We have decided to keep up our gazebo which is waterproof and has sides ( 2 with windows). We have bought an outdoor electric heater and 4 wool blankets so hope to continue to welcome visitors. We haven’t had anyone in the house for 6 months so this is our compromise.

Kate1949 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:54:01

Sorry wrong thread. blush I've just got up!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Sep-20 09:57:31

Actually been invited to a couple of friends’ garden tomorrow for coffee and cake?

Juicylucy Sat 19-Sep-20 10:13:23

I’m an outdoors person anyway so any excuse to be outside.