Gransnet forums

Chat

Back to shopping after home deliveries?

(80 Posts)
overthehill Fri 18-Sep-20 19:45:09

Being over 70 and diabetic type 2 although quite well thank God, I finally got registered with Sainsbury's for on line shopping some months back and have continued ever since. For a long time now I've been to our local one for odd stuff.

Today me and hubs visited our local Morrisons as we have been away for a week and needed some provisions.

I've wondered about should I return to doing my own weekly shop instead of the weekly online delivery?

After today I think not. There was no one at the door checking numbers, no paper towel to go with sanitiser for the trolley. People pushing past you and when we queued to pay the person behind bumped into hubs with her trolley a couple of times then when we went forward with our shopping to put on the belt, she followed instead of standing back as instructed.

No, we said for the sake if around 50p for delivery the convenience, not having to get the car out etc. we'll be sticking with online shopping

pensionpat Sat 19-Sep-20 08:59:14

My Morrison’s announced yesterday that are increasing safety measures, including extra screen, single queue and a person at the door to control numbers in the store. I’ll still stick to online, but it’s a sign of things to come.

BBbevan Sat 19-Sep-20 09:10:31

We have been grocery shopping online since the beginning of lockdown. We have continued with this but have had a few visits to Lidl lately. We are considering discontinuing these now as a second spike looms.

TwiceAsNice Sat 19-Sep-20 09:18:50

I have continued with Ocado deliveries for most of my shopping and have no intention of ever stopping. I have been into our local Waitrose and farm shop for odd fresh items I have run out of but have stopped going to our local Morrison’s they appear chaotic and didn’t feel safe at all the one occasion I went so not for me . Waitrose 2m circles to stand on to queue, hand sanitiser and screens , much better

Franbern Sat 19-Sep-20 17:30:36

I have never wanted to do my weekly shop on-line. Had it been there when I was working, maybe then. But, once retired have always enjoyed a leisurely stroll round the supermarket, do take a list, do my mental maths and use a zapper - so all item go directly into my own shopping bags-and never any queues at those checkouts,.

Even when I was really ill last year (nothing infectious - the result of a bad fall), I still managed to do that weekly shop myself, using Sainsbury's own mobility scooters round the store.

I decided right at the beginning of Lockdown that I would continue to do this as normal. Did start to go early at oldies hour - wore a mask from early on, but would not dream of wearing gloves. Hand washing before I left home, hand washing as soon as I arrive home, hand washing after I had put away all my shopping.

Gave my car a chance to have a short workout each week, gave me a chance to see different scenery each week. Never that many people in Sainsburys. It was well governed and less and less shoppers as time went on - obviously so many older people going on-line. Usually I have whole aisles to myself. Have no intention of changing this method of shopping now.

Maggiemaybe Sat 19-Sep-20 18:23:16

I've been grocery shopping online for years, in fact I can't remember the last time I did a big shop at the supermarket. During lockdown we managed to get Sainsburys deliveries and I was very grateful - we were knocked back by Ocado and Tesco, who we'd also used regularly before then. I just find online shopping so much easier - I can add all my regulars to the trolley at the click of a button, and see all the offers at a glance, and the £10 off vouchers have started to filter through again now. Because we're flexible on times, I can always get a free or very cheap delivery slot. I can't see a single reason for trailing into town and then up and down the aisles, packing it into bags, loading it all into the boot then back out again. Unless it's to get more steps on my Mifit, and I'd rather be out in the fresh air doing that any day.

merlotgran Sat 19-Sep-20 18:34:56

DD messaged to say her Tesco delivery man has just told her that people are bulk buying again and booking slots in advance.

hmm

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 18:47:39

Great Merlot why on earth? We know now that groceries will still be available! confused

JenniferEccles Sat 19-Sep-20 18:53:00

I have enjoyed reading the accounts on here about online shopping as I have never done it.

Right from the start of the pandemic I have continued to go to supermarkets as normal with the idea that if I ever felt unsafe or anxious I would try having it delivered.

There have been accounts on threads where people have had problems with other shoppers jostling them or getting too close, but I can’t say that’s ever happened to me.

Whether I have just been lucky I don’t know but right back from when we had to queue to get in the shop, everyone seemed to be obeying the rules.

I often got chatting to the person in front and behind me and everyone was cheerful and philosophical about the situation.

Anyway I have picked up some tips from comments on here so if I decide to try an online shop I shall be better prepared!

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Sep-20 19:11:25

I’ve done click and collect for the last 2 years, during lockdown used a wholesaler, more recently deliveries and local farm shop for veg throughout. But I do dislike shopping, although love cooking, so shopping is a chore. Just working on defrosting small freezer, when done, will start winter freezing of slo cooked meals that I normally do.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 19-Sep-20 19:47:43

I quite enjoy shopping but since, belatedly, I was told to shield I have managed to register for priority shopping with Waitrose, who I do most of my shopping with anyway. I do about once a month make a trip into our local Sainsbury but I feel much safer in Waitrose. Anyway with the R rate going up I am now going to do online at Waitrose and get home delivery from my local veg shop. I tried to get onto Sainsbury as a priority but have been told they have stopped it, as have Asda.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 20:17:59

That’s a nice post JE. In store or online is a choice and it helps to be aware of the bigger picture. I was irritated as I so often am when people post information which is misleading as that impacts people’s ability to make decisions on an informed basis.

Beauregard Sat 19-Sep-20 21:12:05

I much prefer to shop in person. I like to have the pick of what's available and always get the longest use by dates on fresh produce. I have tried online shopping in the past but like to make my own choices, so i'm happy to leave the delivery slots for those who need them more than I do.

Other weekdays are far quieter than Fridays or weekends, so i've changed my day to Thursday as it is much less busy. I'm in store by 7am and experience no problems at all.

jenpax Sun 20-Sep-20 09:14:27

50p delivery! It’s £4.50 for Tesco’s?

inishowen Sun 20-Sep-20 09:21:19

I love shopping, even now. Im 68 and have continued to shop in tesco, lidl and local shops. I've found people to be respectful to others, keeping distance and wearing masks. The most important thing is not touching your face and washing hands properly.

halfpint1 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:23:30

i just wonder if people who no longer go shopping in the physical sense substitute this activity by going out for a walk.?

overthehill Sun 20-Sep-20 09:30:49

For anyone new to online shopping thought I'd pass this on. I was finding some items wasn't available on a regular basis so they would substitute. An example was normal Lurpak and they would substitute for the light variety. This was no good for me as I use it for cooking as well as spreading on bread, plus I could buy it from the local shop. I then stopped taking substitution for such items and found voila, I received the right product. Not 100% works but a good 90% of the time.

Riggie Sun 20-Sep-20 09:32:03

DH has got into local shopping while he is working from home with a few deliveries to get bulky and heavy stuff as he walks. I have braved supermarkets 3 times. The first wasnt pleasant - small aisles with people not distancing; the other twice have been bigger stores and I went early so they were quiet. Its nice to get a wider choice again.

Pantglas2 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:40:19

Reporting back on my very first Waitrose delivery- I had two substitutes- Essentials cream crackers and Hovis whole meal 600g up graded to Jacobs and Hovis Seeded 800g which I accepted with no increased cost.

Everything as ordered and good quality fruit and veg but I hadn’t realised a picture of a bunch of bananas meant only one......so DH has one banana to last a fortnight! How we laughed?

As handy and necessary as it was, I can’t wait to DIY when my quarantine ends.

crazygranny Sun 20-Sep-20 09:48:45

Sticking with click and collect weekly.

trisher Sun 20-Sep-20 09:52:08

Pantglas2 I did that with bananas once!!
I was on-line shopping off and on before lockdown. I started seriously then and I haven't been near a supermarket since March. Sainsburys always seem to have slots when I need one. Not sure I will ever go back to wandering around supermarkets. One advantage is the money I save because I'm not tempted to pick up a top, or some other item I don't need.

Dustyhen2010 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:52:27

Not been in a shop since March and really not missing it. At the moment the infection rate is increasing so now would not be a good idea to restart in my opinion. I and my friends were really surprised at some older friends still going to the supermarket at the height of infection rate and although the risk was reduced by measures there was still a risk and not one we felt we wanted to take. A friend's son who had only been to Adsa to get her shopping came down with the virus and had to assume he got it there. I got on the vulnerable list with Tesco by phoning in and because OH has used Sainsbury's once in the past managed to get deliveries from them too. We now only use Sainsbury's as there are cheaper slots. One costs nothing and the next cheapest is 50p. I hope that having continued to use them we will get priority if a rush happens again. We started getting milk, egg and bread deliveries from a local supplier which I will continue to get. If I need gifts a couple of local shops will send photos for me to choose and drop in our delivery box outside the house. Not a usual life but to protect ourselves and the community I think it has to be done.

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Sep-20 09:54:56

halfpint1

i just wonder if people who no longer go shopping in the physical sense substitute this activity by going out for a walk.?

Well, I suppose we have more time for walking, as opposed to sitting in the car or queuing.

But having groceries delivered doesn’t normally mean an end to shopping altogether. I still walk into town and use the small shops for fruit, meat, gifts, books, etc. It’s just the boring stuff I’d rather not do.

AuthorJune Sun 20-Sep-20 10:06:14

Although I miss browsing round supermarkets and seeing what's new, I am quite content to continue having my shopping delivered. Up to now we have no complaints and find the websites quite easy.

Rosalyn69 Sun 20-Sep-20 10:09:48

I was using online shopping well before COVID and will continue to do so.
I did do a quick trip to Lidl last week as I do like some of their stuff and it is cheap and felt very safe.

BusterTank Sun 20-Sep-20 10:13:05

I have been home shopping for the last 11 years . The only difference covid has made is I do my home shopping fortnightly instead of weekly . I have no intention to be going into shops .