Gransnet forums

Chat

Back to shopping after home deliveries?

(80 Posts)
overthehill Fri 18-Sep-20 19:45:09

Being over 70 and diabetic type 2 although quite well thank God, I finally got registered with Sainsbury's for on line shopping some months back and have continued ever since. For a long time now I've been to our local one for odd stuff.

Today me and hubs visited our local Morrisons as we have been away for a week and needed some provisions.

I've wondered about should I return to doing my own weekly shop instead of the weekly online delivery?

After today I think not. There was no one at the door checking numbers, no paper towel to go with sanitiser for the trolley. People pushing past you and when we queued to pay the person behind bumped into hubs with her trolley a couple of times then when we went forward with our shopping to put on the belt, she followed instead of standing back as instructed.

No, we said for the sake if around 50p for delivery the convenience, not having to get the car out etc. we'll be sticking with online shopping

Grandmakath Mon 21-Sep-20 04:00:29

I am surprised that some of you are still getting deliveries from Sainsbury's. I finally managed to get registered with them a few months ago too. I am in my late seventies with various health problems but not on NHS list. All went well until 3 weeks ago when they cancelled my weekly order on the delivery day. No explanation or offer of another slot. We had not been out for months and husband was reluctant for us to go supermarket shopping until after weekend. We managed with what we had until the Monday. I asked Sainsbury what had been the problem and would it happen again. They replied that they were making thousands of deliveries to people on NHS list and everyone else should shop instore.

hereshoping Mon 21-Sep-20 06:17:45

We've found substitutions a bit of an adventure and have tried things that we wouldn't have thought of and have mostly been fine or even better than our usual.
Refused a substitution for the first time this week, my husband is very fussy about his Guinness and it suddenly seems to be in very short supply.

overthehill Mon 21-Sep-20 17:08:32

Grandmakath

I am surprised that some of you are still getting deliveries from Sainsbury's. I finally managed to get registered with them a few months ago too. I am in my late seventies with various health problems but not on NHS list. All went well until 3 weeks ago when they cancelled my weekly order on the delivery day. No explanation or offer of another slot. We had not been out for months and husband was reluctant for us to go supermarket shopping until after weekend. We managed with what we had until the Monday. I asked Sainsbury what had been the problem and would it happen again. They replied that they were making thousands of deliveries to people on NHS list and everyone else should shop instore.

Surprised here never happened so far, fingers crossed

Alishka Mon 21-Sep-20 21:02:54

shock That's rotten for you, Grandmakath I've used both Iceland home deliveries (I thought they were only a frozen food centre, but they're not and their fresh meat,fish and veg are all really good), but now I've settled with Morrisons where I can get a full range of products. I haven't bothered to buy a Pass as I can always get declivery slots to suit.
Good luck and again, I'm absolutely shocked by their cavalier attitude.