Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack, clutch or handbag?

(168 Posts)
Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 08:15:10

I’ve never got it right in the handbag department and now I have arthritis apparently in neck and shoulder area I think I’ll have to go backpack. Do you have a wardrobe full of handbags?

JaneRn Sun 20-Sep-20 13:02:50

The trouble with a back packs is that the wearer seems to be unaware that they are wearing it! They are a menace anywhere they are close to other people in shops. cafes etc as they turn round and swing these often very bulky objects at anyone who happens to have the misfortune to be near. Of course one of the unexpected positives is that at present one cannot get near enough to be nearly knocked off your feet, hit in the face or any other part which gets in their way.

Sorry as far as I am concerned, and I know am in a minority, back packs are ideal for anyone going on a long hike in the countryside, otherwise handbags in town, please!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Sep-20 13:05:10

I love handbags, but have only allowed myself six or seven.

I use a backpack if I am going to be carting anything heavy or bulky.

rowyn Sun 20-Sep-20 13:20:13

Not really, if I’m not using a bag I tend to charity it.

Oh dear, I feel an urge to visit Pedants Corner!

Chimaera Sun 20-Sep-20 14:12:30

I'm a Cath Kidston fan and have 'a few' of the handbags - 2 of which are backpacks! A smaller one for 'everyday' use and a larger one which I tend to use more on holiday where I can put dog stuff in it (we have 2).

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Sep-20 14:24:02

Of the top of my head I am unsure how many handbags I have! I generally use a large leather crossover messenger bag and if I am in London (visiting family and galleries) I also take a rucksack with umbrella, cardigan, book, water etc.) but since the V&A etc have reopened, I have to pile everything in the rucksack. None of these places are opening up the cloakrooms so you have to carry everything with you. My daughter (who I went to the Kimono Exhibition with yesterday) has a beautiful leather rucksack anyway, but I prefer a crossover bag.

Dowsabella Sun 20-Sep-20 15:25:10

Since March I've rarely used a handbag. I have pockets in at least one item of clothing I'm wearing, and all I usually carry with me is my mobile phone with a bank card and face covering exemption card in the case, a tissue, and my car or door key. Lately I have taken to carrying a small bottle of hand sanitiser. If it rains I wear a coat or jacket with a hood - and yet more pockets!! I have a wonderful sense of freedom without all the clutter that comes with carrying a bag!!
Of course, I do use shopping bags. I have a wonderful collection of hessian ones, and have lost count of how many, though perhaps not as many as your sister-in-law's bags, biba
I think it's time a charity shop received all those hand/shoulder bags I'll never use again!

Lucca Sun 20-Sep-20 15:33:09

Rosalyn69

Backpacks? Ugh. Ghastly things.

Bit dismissive ? Some are very nice not to mention a necessity

EllanVannin Sun 20-Sep-20 15:33:28

Once upon a time I could have done with a portmanteau with the amount I used to carry around----now it's a large leather purse that I can grip which holds everything I need.

Lexisgranny Sun 20-Sep-20 15:42:16

I have a leather wallet that holds my phone, with slots for everything else, which I tend to use if only out for a shortish time. If going out for longer I have bought some lightweight shoulder bags which I now find more convenient than any of the array of handbags cluttering up my wardrobe.

CarlyD7 Sun 20-Sep-20 16:00:57

I have two cross body bags (in different colours) and a small daypack (if I'm going to do a bit of shopping - they're brilliant). Also have a "bum bag" if I'm just going for a walk, for example, as it holds the essentials (keys, hanky, phone, mask). Couple of cotton shopping bags (nice patterns) too. But that's it. I'm afraid I'm Mrs Practical these days.

Rowsie Sun 20-Sep-20 16:06:28

I have a box full of handbags and never seem to have the "perfect" bag. However as I have been doing a lot of walking during the pandemic I have started using a small backpack that I got from the sports shop Decathlon. It is small but is big enough to carry purse, mask, hand gel (all the stuff we need nowadays!)as well as glasses, diary, phone etc. In fact as these bags are only £2.49 each, I have one in each of the colours available. Carrying a back pack is so much better for your neck and shoulders than a hand bag or shoulder bag.

Pipsno1pal Sun 20-Sep-20 17:10:15

Have a look at the Healthy Back Bags website, different sizes, very comfy. I have 3 so far....

Greciangirl Sun 20-Sep-20 17:29:55

Mainly cross body bags. They are much safer as can’t be pulled of the shoulder.

I find ordinary shoulder bags are forever slipping off the shoulder and very annoying.

Sometimes shopping bags when I need something larger.

Clutch bags, I don’t own one as I’m sure I would put it down somewhere and lose it.

Backpacks, never owned one, too much faffing around.

Musicgirl Sun 20-Sep-20 18:17:13

I used to like cross body bags but now prefer handbags. I like Radley and Ness bags but also saddle bag style. My mother has always loved handbags and so do l. I have had many compliments with mine. They can make an outfit look very smart.

LeighC Sun 20-Sep-20 20:58:09

I use several Mia Tui bags. A fairly large black handbag fo
r work as it needs to hold my umbrella, inhaler, purse, hairbrush, deodorant, hairspray etc. When lockdown began I sent for a backpack from Mia Tui and that was so useful and still is for going on daily walks and now when I'm pushing my baby Granddaughter in her pushchair. I have a couple of cross body bags and loads of others bought over the years which I can't bear to throw away or put in the charity bag! You never know when you might need them!

Juneandarchie1 Sun 20-Sep-20 21:48:14

I progressed to cross body bags once my arthritic hands started hurting, but now don’t even bother with that.
Just my phone in a wallet that contains bank card & bus pass and small amount of cash. If I’m wearing something with pockets I’ll slip a lipstick in there and sunglasses if needed.
I find it very liberating ?

Daftbag1 Mon 21-Sep-20 00:04:00

Simple, cross body bag or rucksack or both.....crutches user make this essential!

JackyB Mon 21-Sep-20 09:01:37

I gave away loads of handbags recently as I wasn't really using them. Just kept a couple back. I need a handbag more these days, as instead of just a purse, I have to carry hand sanitiser, disinfectant, mask, when shopping.

For travel and for hiking, I finally found a backpack which doesn't collapse in a shapeless heap when you put it down. It is a nappy-changing bag! I haven't needed the straps for attaching it to a pram, but the insulated compartments for bottles might come in handy if I want a cup of tea whilst out. And no, it doesn't have teddy bears on the outside,it's a smart navy and grey stripe.

Of course, I could have gone for a bag designed to carry a laptop, but I couldn't find one I liked.

liamsoren Thu 09-Sep-21 16:10:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Sep-21 16:15:39

We ve just jumped a year

DiscoGran Thu 09-Sep-21 16:32:01

Have you bought any since this time last year? I've bought 2, one small blush pink to go to a wedding, and a bigger round straw type one (charity shop buy) ?

BBbevan Thu 09-Sep-21 16:34:58

Pocket?

Sago Thu 09-Sep-21 16:43:46

Whoops, just looked at my post when I was MFL!
Since last year, I have gained 1 bag for a wedding, black leather TKMaxx £17.00???.

Another last week, a “never full” tote by Liberty, I love it, the lining is embossed in Liberty purple and the press studs convert it in to a more classic shape.

It wasn’t £17.00 ????

travelsafar Thu 09-Sep-21 16:46:49

My goddaughter has a Ralph Lauren bag which i greatly admire. It is black with a tan leather strap so you can use as a cross over bag. It is so simple in design and i love it. Only this week she managed to track one down on a well known auction site and bought it for me. I said i will pay for it but she said no, but in the end she agreed to let me pay half. Cant wait to get it on Saturday when i am seeing her. I am not a lady who coverts handbags but this one i did. My current bag is by Troop of London it is a crossover one and very sturdy for everyday use. I bought it in charcoal grey and it kinda goes with everything i wear, especially in the winter as i have a sage green coat and i wear grey gloves which my daughter bought me one year and they they pick up the colour of the bag. When i wear really summery clothes i use a cream crossover bag that i picked up from somewhere it is not a branded one but for the amount of times i use it ...weather ..... it serves its purpose. I also have a couple of back packs which i started using when i had to use a stick as it leaves my hands free. They are perfect for taking books back to the library or if i have just a few things to buy at the shops.

eazybee Thu 09-Sep-21 16:58:52

I could document my life by my handbags, starting off with a small grey leather pouch which I could easily use now. During lockdown I have used small clutch bags with a long strap, and a tan leather bucket bag when shopping, but as I don't really go anywhere for long handbags aren't as essential as they used to be.