Gransnet forums

Chat

Backpack, clutch or handbag?

(168 Posts)
Lucca Sat 19-Sep-20 08:15:10

I’ve never got it right in the handbag department and now I have arthritis apparently in neck and shoulder area I think I’ll have to go backpack. Do you have a wardrobe full of handbags?

Lucca Fri 10-Sep-21 08:41:29

Calm down old thing

henetha Fri 10-Sep-21 10:25:57

Cross body bags. Kipling preferrably, as they are light and have lots of compartments. I seem to have typed this before I think.

Chardy Fri 10-Sep-21 11:33:52

I don't like handbags. I've probably owned five in fifty years, and least 2 were presents. I sometimes use a tote - the house is littered with them; if I'm going out it'll have a Primark organiser in it with glasses, brush etc. The rest of the time it's my phone case with a bank card in its pocket, keys in my pocket.
When I read of celebs spending thousands on a bag, I recoil.

Chardy Fri 10-Sep-21 11:36:42

Apologies. I meant to add that backpacks are painful to get on and off for those with back or shoulder problems

Katek Fri 10-Sep-21 11:37:53

I have trouble parting with bags even though I haven’t used them for ages! I can always find a reason to kee them-they remind me of an event, or one of the dds bought it for my birthday etc! I have Radley, Kipling, Michael Kors amongst my favourites, but am currently using a phone/purse type cross body bag as it’s easier with the stick and the hip. It’s certainly focussed my mind on what I actually need to carry but it’s still surprising how much I’ve managed to get in a small space-phone, bank cards, inhaler, strip of paracetamol, mints, tissues, receipts……..!shock

M0nica Fri 10-Sep-21 16:40:19

What worries me about backpacks is how easy they are to 'pick' and steal the contents. I want my money and anything else in my handbag to be continually where I can see it and protect it.

LindaPat Fri 10-Sep-21 18:00:54

Chewbacca
The bags with the changeable outer "shells" are made by Miche. I have one , with 4 or 5 different shells. Makes changing bags so easy. The shells fasten onto the inner bag with strong magnets. I also have different straps for them ( short handles, long strap for shoulder, long strap with chain ends) , also easily changed over.
I have to confess, I am, or rather was, a bag lady. In fact I was a shoes/boots and bag lady! I dread to think how many pairs I own. I used to love high heels, both shoes and boots. I had a thing for velvet/embroidered bags .
Now, unfortunately I can't wear my high heels, and we don't go out as much, but I can't bring myself to part with either bags or shoes/boots.
I have some lovely flat winter type boots in various colours, and lots of flat/flattish sandals/flip flops for the summer. My go to bag at the moment is a cross body one I bought in a market in Lanzarote, the last time we went there, 2019. It has a few zipped compartments, plenty of room for my daily stuff.
Funnily enough, the only time I never use a handbag is on holiday. Mr LP takes a small leather backpack, which holds all our needs for a day out - water, sunscreen, tablets, tissues etc. Otherwise, I never go anywhere without a bag!

caral994 Tue 21-Sep-21 19:09:20

I preferred handbag before but I've bought a laptop backpack recently and got in love with it. I use it in any case. Here it is arrivly.co.uk/product/business-laptop-backpack

grannyactivist Tue 21-Sep-21 22:40:21

I have one expensive handbag that was a gift from my sister, several handbags (unused) that are soon winging their way to a charity shop, three differently sized ‘daysacks’ that are very light and fold away into almost nothing - and string shopping bags.

The most used are the smallest of the backpacks and the string shopping bags.

Neen Tue 21-Sep-21 22:50:01

I use a backpack majority of the time but also have RA and lymphadema. That said I git a lovely leather handbag in the charity shop today which has lots of compartments , so it's not forever lost at the bottom.
I also charity mine when I decide to change.

Callistemon Tue 21-Sep-21 22:57:51

Whitewavemark2

Not really, if I’m not using a bag I tend to charity it.

I have a winter and summer best bag, and cross shoulder small purse type winter and summer.

I do have rucksacks etc. Oh and sort of holiday and beach type bag. Oh and a couple of bags for use when it’s a black tie long gown type of do. Oh and a couple of posh wedding type clutch bags.

That’s it☺️ I think.

I'm laughing at Not really, if I’m not using a bag I tend to charity it and imagining you going out with all your bags slung around you
???

I have lots of bags but have been using the same shoulder/cross body bag for quite a while now because it's got different sections, everything fits in but it's not large.

Allegretto Tue 21-Sep-21 23:21:11

I’m another convert to Healthy Back Bags. I use a Baglet for my daily walks (holds mask, sanitiser, keys, phone and tissues). I use a Small Bag (which is a size bigger) for other outings. The bags are light and extremely comfortable. I can’t imagine using any other bag now, at least until (if) life becomes more dressy again. I gave a Small Baglet to a friend and it’s used daily for carrying her child’s epipen when they go out. It’s a little plain, perfectly sized, black bag so is used happily by the dad too when he takes the little one out.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Sep-21 23:24:10

Lucca, I never use them these days - just put stuff in my pockets instead.

Granmarderby10 Wed 22-Sep-21 00:35:27

You’ve got pockets! ? Love ? pockets - there should be more of them.

Can’t stand “jingly jangly” bags with loads of metal attached, too noisy.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Sep-21 08:36:27

Big question- do you wear or carry a bag?
It seems to me you would wear a crossbody or backpack and carry a handbag or clutch, but I never know what to say when referring to them “in general”

Humbertbear Wed 22-Sep-21 10:17:32

I always use a backpack. Much better for my back. I have them in different sizes. I have switched to ones that are burglar proof in that the main compartment cannot be opened while the bag is on your back.

Granny23 Wed 22-Sep-21 10:34:08

Since I acquired my Seasalt raincoat with 2 big secure, closeable pockets, I have scarcely ever carried or worn a handbag. The pockets are big enough to contain car & house Keys, wallet, mobile phone, hanky, folded supermarket plastic bag and antihistamine pills.

If men can go through life without every needing a hand bag, then surely women can too?