Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(88 Posts)
12Michael Sun 20-Sep-20 06:19:08

Good Morning Everyone,
Its twilight but its dry with some wind and an autumnal chill in the air.
Met up with my sister and brother last night at a new local hotel here in Brackley , as the hotel with the town being close to Silverstone Circuit you had support teams staying in it .
Plus yesterday , in Buckingham Flea Market I managed to buy an old map of Ireland original price 1/- paid £2 for it for my brother in law .
Today , final stage of Tour De France based in Paris , and see how the sprints unfold .
Take Care ,
Mick

Grammaretto Sun 20-Sep-20 08:37:14

Good morning all from a chilly Scottish Borders but again it was sweltering (by Scottish standards) yesterday so it may warm up.
We saw our littlest ones briefly yesterday when they visited. They were staying with the other DGP so it's hard to know how much contact to have. Not being able to hug DD is hard. One of their extended family is being tested for covid19 and is quite poorly.

I won the family zoom quiz last night. I had to keep re-counting because that never happens. It was set by MrG so perhaps we know the same things.

Your quilt is simply beautiful MellowYellow The 4 yr old will love it.
I am sure your jelly is tasty Marydoll I want some on my porridge now!
Have you thought about tie-dye next time?

Pantglas2 Sun 20-Sep-20 08:41:17

Oh no Cornergran and Lins - don’t go....I’m quarantined at the moment so my posts are pretty tame but I hope I’m not boring folks! We’re already missing so many .....?

I love reading about where people are geographically- I have a huge map in my head with drawing pins all over the place and can pinpoint who’s having good weather or bad!

Also some of the tips I read are useful - Miss Marydoll splashing jam on her white blouse ? and Urmstongrans books for instance.

Please pop in occasionally and let us know what you’re up to, even if it is ‘ not much at the moment’!

Marydoll Sun 20-Sep-20 08:41:56

Could I please ask all those who are thinking of leaving, Don't!!!!☹️
We are are all friends here and everyone has something to contribute, quiet life or not!
Compared to life before shielding, my life is positively silent, but this thread is gentle, kind, supportive and non judgemental and I miss the regulars, when they are missing.☹️

mokryna Sun 20-Sep-20 08:44:08

Good morning Mick et al , the sun is shining after a few drops of rain last night, only 27c today. This will be better for the Tour de France riders who will be passing through later today. I don’t follow the ins and outs of this sport but I do hope the young 21 year old rider, I have heard mention on the news, wins. No, I will not be in the line of spectators, I did that many years ago when the children were small. Have stood for hours only to see them, if I didn’t blink or some child wanting the toilet. They cycle at such a speed and so close.
I shall be meeting up with a friend in the woods to have a long chat, as we also do not have people in our homes but before that mask on for a market shop. Have a nice day and take care everyone.

Gingster Sun 20-Sep-20 08:44:34

Good morning all from a lovely start to the day here In Essex . We will be off to our cottage by the sea tomorrow bu I think the weather will be turning next week. Oh well. It will be a nice change of scene.

Yesterday we had a busy day with family arriving In groups of four (making 6 with us). DGD saying au revoir as she’s off to uni today. She was quite tearful by the end ! Bless her. I hope she’ll be ok ?.

Mellowyellow that throw is beautiful. So pretty! Did you go by a pattern or just make it up as you went along.? You’ve inspired me to do something similar. A few years ago I crocheted all the GC (8 of them) a small blanket each. 6 pretty ones for the girls and west ham united ones for the twin boys. I notice , when I visit, they still have them on their beds ♥️. GD is even taking hers to uni. ?.

I’d like to make bramble jelly Marydoll but haven’t got a jam maker, . I remember my DM straining it through her stockings hung up in the leanto. ?.

Yes it is a sellers market at the moment (house) . Now s the time ! Houses are flying off the market. Our neighbours for sale board went up just before we went away . When we came back 5 weeks later, they had gone and others have moved in. Unheard of. We keep thinking if moving to our cottage by the sea permanently, but we have family and friends here and that holds us back.

Hope all your Sundays are bright, cheerful and healthy. ?

Grammaretto Sun 20-Sep-20 08:45:15

Please don't leave Lins1066 . If there were only those who felt they had something to say, where would we be!? grin

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Sep-20 08:46:46

Good morning All from a wet and gloomy Polmont. Mellow your throw is a beautiful work of art and I'm sure your dgd will treasure it. Marydoll my mum always made bramble jelly and we were used to the gentle drip of the juice seeping through the muslin. Once my db upset the jelly pan and in best Taggart, it looked like there was a murder! To the ladies who feel they don't contribute, you really do. I love reading the snapshots of your lives. It reminds me that we are all here, doing our best to keep going and it is warming. So please don't stop posting. Thank you all for the lovely messages yesterday on my birthday. I don't usually do much but it turned out a busier day than I expected! I had a series of unexpected visitors bearing gifts throughout the day culminating in ds and his partner and her daughter arriving an hour early for dinner to blether and drink fizzy stuff. I don't see him often so it is always a pleasure. Chinese takeaway at dd's later with more fizz and then home. So an excellent birthday all told. Today is a doing nothing kind of day. I had the foresight to organise a tesco delivery so I don't have to go out for food. Apart from that, I'm going to read a bit, potter a bit, sew a bit and probably nap a bit! I hope you all have a good Sunday.

GrannySomerset Sun 20-Sep-20 08:49:17

I think the littleness of our present lives is hard for most of us, but I so enjoy sharing other lives than my own, however uneventful they are.

We made it to Bath yesterday after our flu jabs but were wiped out for the rest of the day. Our capacity to do things seems much diminished. This morning we have a short service in one of the six churches in our group of parishes - masks, no singing, no coffee after - but not much else. Have a good day if you can.

Anniebach Sun 20-Sep-20 08:53:07

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Nortsat Sun 20-Sep-20 08:53:15

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a currently sunny east London.

Quiet day today (I seldom have any other kind) as I was rather unwell during the week. Am much improved now, but glad to just take things easy. I am waiting for a Neurologist consultation and clinic appt.

We had ‘film night’ last night and watched ‘Amazing Grace’ about William Willberforce and his struggles to get the British Parliament to ban the Slave Trade. It was a very good film, we recommend it.

Roast pork for us today, too Sar.
Mellow what a beautiful throw ... it’s so clever and the colours are lovely. Yes, do please show us the fairy, when she’s ready.
Thinking of Dragonfly, Bluesapphire and of course gilly.
Have a lovely day, all and ? to those facing challenges.

Marydoll Sun 20-Sep-20 08:53:24

Ginster, you don't need a jam maker, a huge pan will do.
I still have my massive jelly pan, but bought the jam maker years ago when my RA started affecting my hands. It has been worth it's weight in gold! It's foolproof. It doesn't make huge amounts, but that suits me, now that there are only the two of us. My children don't eat jam, too unhealthy!?
I suppose it's the equivalent of buying an automatic car, when you find driving painful!
I used to be a purist, no machines for me, always beating by hand etc. Oh how I have changed, it's gadgets all the way for me now!?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 20-Sep-20 08:53:51

Morning all from South Notts. Pale skies here so it's hard to tell what the weather will be like, it's cooler than of late but still comfortable.

I expect to do my weekly shop later and that's about it really. Then it'll be feet up with the newspaper. I lead a very quiet life and often feel that I have very little to contribute here, but still, most of us aren't going to set the world alight are we? It doesn't follow that our contributions have no value.

Your throw is lovely MellowYellow I bet you're really pleased with it. One positive thing about lockdown is that it has enabled us to get on with creative projects.

Hope today is kind and special thoughts to those who are struggling.

JenniferEccles Sun 20-Sep-20 08:55:05

What a lovely kind encouraging post Marydoll (8.41am) !

I am not a regular on here but I do read most days and occasionally put in my two penn’orth.

It really does feel like a lovely supportive online group of friends, some of whom have met at get-togethers at times I believe.

Susan56 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:00:16

Good morning from Shropshire.Another cooler start but yesterday turned into a scorcher so we’ll see.

We had a lovely day celebrating mum’s birthday yesterday.Thank you for the birthday wishes for her.DD2 had a throw made for her with pictures of the family printed on it including one from mum and dads wedding day.

Mellow, the throw is stunning, your granddaughter will love it?

No plans today.We live a quiet life here too, only mixing with our DD’s and their little families and my mum.Please keeping posting Lins.As others have said we are all friends here and we miss when regulars stop,posting.In these new solitary times,I really look forward to reading the good morning thread each morning.

I hope you are still reading the thread gilly and know how much we all care about you and miss you?

Thinking of all our missing good morningers and all with illness and struggles?

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 20-Sep-20 09:01:20

Good morning from a getting sunnier N Hants. I’m guilty of reading and enjoying the day to day news of posters, without joining in. I especially like the banter between loving couples. Jealous, me, of course not!
Like others I lead a very quiet life, so it helps to know others are the same, so keep posting please x

mary51 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:01:37

Good morning all from a bright and breezy Cardiff. I usually just read this thread, but just had to compliment MellowYellow on her throw. May I ask are those knitted cable squares mixed with fabric and applique?

Another quiet day in here out in garden most of the day.

Nortsat Sun 20-Sep-20 09:03:40

Grandmabatty, thank you for your kind words, to those of us who don’t always have much to say/share.
Illness/disability/lockdown has rendered my previously very busy life, to something far, far smaller ... thus I do wonder whether my posts are rather banal ...

Your kind encouragement is appreciated ?

Stilllearning Sun 20-Sep-20 09:03:50

Morning from a cloudy S Lanarkshire, I am hoping for some sun as I’m going to meet up in a park for a picnic lunch with DD and my two youngest grandchildren that I used to look after, which I am sorely missing.
I had a really nice time yesterday with another Dd and lovely 10 year old granddaughter. After me dithering about going inside to eat we found we could sit outside and could relax! I am so grateful for these times together, between the weather and oncoming restrictions they may be the last for a while.
Beautiful throw Mellowyellow, so many talented people on here.

grannysyb Sun 20-Sep-20 09:05:39

Lovely bright day here, off to allotment again, this time to check on DHs bees. He is worried that the verroa control he put in both hives will have killed the queens. Having smelt it when he unwrapped it I'm surprised that all the bees didn't die! However, if they have gone he will have to re-queen which will be quite costly. Off to see DD this afternoon.

Greyduster Sun 20-Sep-20 09:07:38

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a grey Much Sneezing in the Marsh aka South Yorkshire. There was a big scrap in the bird bath this morning between a lone robin and a bunch of sparrows who wanted him out. He wasn’t going to shift for anyone though! He’s a feisty little beggar! Nothing much planned for today except a short walk along the river to blow the cobwebs away. Steak for dinner, and a glass of Rioja maybe.
Mellow your throw is lovely. I am in awe of all you sewers out there. Have a good Sunday, folks.

Taichinan Sun 20-Sep-20 09:14:43

Good morning everyone. Sad to say the sun has deserted the Angus coast again! But how lovely the last three days were. Had a lovely day with DGD yesterday - we ended up going to a garden centre and then planting up a couple of planters for her to take home. We then got pizzas for tea from her fav. pizza place. There were a couple of facetimes with her mum and sister - this is the longest she has been away from them. She took her Dad's death four years ago particularly hard, but she's moving forward now. She's becoming a lovely young lady - he'd be so proud of her.

Mellow what a beautiful throw! Destined to become a family heirloom I'm sure - if it survives all the loving it will undoubtedly receive!

Your day in the Cairngorms sounds lovely Brook and perfect weather for it too.

Now off I go - I think I've just heard movement from DGD's room, so breakfast it will be. Have a lovely day all ???

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Sep-20 09:14:55

Nortsat ??

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Sep-20 09:19:02

I’m back, just to ask that no one leaves! I’m relatively new to GN, but I look forward to these good morning posts. Everyone’s lives are quieter now, but I still like to sit on the periphery of others lives, my days are certainly not exciting! This group cheers me and occasionally I feel I make a small contribution. ?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:19:40

Good morning Mick and all

Enjoy the procession in Paris of the TDF Mick.

MellowYellow'you are an extremely talented Gran, the throw is beautiful.

Marydoll I might have a look at jam makers later.

lins cornergran Nortsat and any other posters thinking they have nothing to contribute to Micks'thread, please stay you are very dear virtual friends who would be sorely missed.

We are having a quiet day here in sunny in S E Essex with roast beef for dinner around 6.30/7 ish.

Middle son popped in with the GSs yesterday he wanted to show us the plans for extending their house, they look spectacular cannot wait to see it all finished. Had a lovely hug from them as they left, not sure when we shall be allowed to do that again (not sure if we should have hugged, but?)

Thinking of our poorly and missing Goodmorningers, especially our dear Gillybob ???

Keep safe and well folks ?

Nanabanana1 Sun 20-Sep-20 09:23:34

Good morning everyone, cloudy today in Torbay but it may brighten up later, quiet day for me today after the grandchildren go home. As a lot have said I also have a very quiet life and don’t always post as think it is not interesting enough but everyone’s comments have been very encouraging so now you’ll be stuck with me ?
I do hope Dragonfly is ok, she was very kind and helpful with her advice when my daughter was going through her mastectomy. ? and kind thoughts to all today.