Gransnet forums

Chat

Hip/knee injection today! Reassure me!

(46 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 22-Sep-20 13:35:18

Hello
As above. I was diagnosed with OA in March prior to lockdown.
GP thinks that there is more to it, but I haven't been able to have any further tests etc for obvious reasons.
However, I'm having an injection/s this afternoon at the GP's.
What should I expect wise ladies?
Thank you!

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Sep-20 13:36:19

Oh, and wise gents!

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sep-20 13:39:23

Bit late to the post I m sorry to say but GOOD LUCK I bet it will be fine they probably just want to take a bit of fluid off to test or maybe a injection for the pain/ mobility etc

FannyCornforth Tue 22-Sep-20 15:02:38

Thank you BlueBelle
You weren't late at all!

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sep-20 18:29:46

How did it go fanny

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:12:47

Hi BlueBelle, thank you for asking.
It was fine. It was a steroid injection in my knee.
I was a nervous wreck (not unusual for me). Not because of the procedure but because I'm very much a hermit.
The doctor was lovely and I hardly felt a thing.
Not feeling any effects yet other than a very hot, red face!

BlueBelle Wed 23-Sep-20 08:20:31

Ahh Fanny forget it I m a nervous wreck when it comes to dentists I am jelly
I m so glad it all went well and you are in one piece
Do you prefer life as a hermit ? I mean is it your choice ?

Spice101 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:25:31

I'll be interested to know how the injection works FannyCornfforth.

I looked at having injections a few years ago but the surgeon said they were not always effective and would need to be repeated. I did nothing for a while but had my hip replaced last year and my knee done 3 months ago. The lack of ain is wonderful.

Hope the injection works for you.

Spice101 Wed 23-Sep-20 08:25:49

Lack of pain that should be!

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:26:40

I was agoraphobic in my 20s following the death of my mother.
I'm a teacher now, but I've been off sick with my blooming leg for the vast majority of this year.
Mr C is in the shielding group so there has been much scope to go out. I can't even walk the dog!
I know that I'll get better, but it's going to take a long time to get my mental health on track.
In a very strange way it's been a bit of a blessing in disguise as I'd find it very difficult to be in school in the present climate.
We've had quite a few cases at my school and if I bought it home to MrC, Lord knows what would happen.
In

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:29:38

Thank you Spice, I'll keep you updated.
I'm glad that you are feeling better.
My main issue is with my hip, but the doctor isn't qualified to do hip injections.
She reckons I'll have to have a hip and knee replacement.sad

Bellanonna Wed 23-Sep-20 08:37:17

Fanny I found the cortisone injections helpful. I had to have them repeated, in both knees, but thankfully the pain improved greatly. I hope you find the same relief.

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 08:41:39

Fanny I get the red face too! I hope you are resting that knee. I get regular steroid injections on various parts of my anatomy, including my rear end! The advice is always to rest the joint for 24 hrs to allow it to settle.

After yesterday's outing, I realise now that I cannot put off any longer, asking to be referred to the hip surgeon.
I was in agony yesterday and also today, but nothing to the extent of annsixty, ? whose operation is way overdue! sad
MY RA consultant wanted to do it a year ago and I put him off, as I was overwhelmed by hospital appointments and procedures.
Shielding has been a blessing in disguise, as it has cut down on those visits.

I hope you get some relief.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:58:06

Thank you Mary, I will.
Funnily enough, the GP didn't mention resting it, but my NDN told me to yesterday.
Not that I'm very mobile at the best of times!

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:58:51

Mary, hope you have a better day today.

MellowYellow Wed 23-Sep-20 09:03:52

I had a knee replacement four years ago, amazing operation, but like annsixty am way overdue for hip replacements, both of them. Never been offered injections though, interestingly.

Davidhs Wed 23-Sep-20 10:13:35

I’ve had 4 on my knee the doctor was accurate and the pain was minor so don’t worry about it. The last one did not work well so reverted to Nurofen Plus which I take just once a day on the days I need it.
That seems to work for now and hopefully until I get to the top of the replacement list.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 11:20:42

My knee does seem a bit better, but that may be wishful thinking.
The main pain is now in my ankle and shin, the GP says it's because I'm not walking 'properly'.
I'm taking tramadol, naproxen and even occasionally morphine.
It works for the pain but not the mobility.
The doctors have all said that the level of wear and tear is what you might see in some one thirty years my senior.
They've even asked me if I was an athlete when I was younger.
Nothing could be further from the truth!
It's all a bit of s mystery.

annsixty Wed 23-Sep-20 12:13:45

As I have been mentioned I have brilliant news.
Just this morning the Consultant’s secretary rang and offered me a date for 9th October, two weeks on Friday.
I am so happy and relieved, now being a glass half full and wondering what can go wrong!!

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Sep-20 12:23:13

ann that really is the best news ever. Have u=you had your flu jab and is your house ready for your return post surgery if that makes sense. Chairs and bed have to be at a certain height. I do not know if the same happens in your neck of the woods but at our age post major surgery I had a lady visit am and pm for free for 6 weeks to do what I needed post a knee replacement. Empty commode, help put socks on me to give you an idea.

You will be a new woman.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 12:25:32

Brilliant news Ann, how long have you been waiting for?

annsixty Wed 23-Sep-20 12:58:49

I saw the consultant on Dec 7th Fanny and should have had op on March27th just as restrictions came into place.
It was cancelled just 4 days before.
I am having it done at a BMI hospital under the NHS.
I could not even get a consultation at the NHS hospital at that time.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 13:09:02

My GP referred me to Rheumatology at the beginning of March.
They have lost my referral.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 13:10:03

Gosh, that is bad luck Ann.

Bellanonna Wed 23-Sep-20 19:11:17

Great news ann.