Gransnet forums

Chat

Who would you most liked to have seen but never did?

(148 Posts)
Dinahmo Tue 22-Sep-20 14:24:59

The singer I would most liked to have seen is Leonard Cohen. I wasn't really into his music until the recording of his 2008 concert in London was shown on BBC 2. It was late at night and I'd fallen asleep in front of the tv. I was woken by the most amazing sounds coming from the screen. I became a fan and have a dvd of that concert.

A few years ago he was live in Paris but the ticket prices started at 180 euros and I just couldn't afford 2 tickets plus hotel bills at that time.

I'd also like to see Tom Waits but he tours so rarely and tickets sell out immediately.

Lastly the Travelling Wilburys.

There's something about older musicians - they are so laid back and often produce great music.

Dinahmo Wed 23-Sep-20 13:23:13

EMMF1948

Nureyev, I used to live for the London Palladium programmes where he appeared, his Corsair still gives me goosebumps.

Do you mean the Ballet Russe programmes? They were quite late in his performing career. I saw one at the Palladium and one at the Coliseum. Someone in the audience at the latter was complaining that he couldn't leap anymore but I thought his characterisation was superb.

Did you see the film about his life, up to the time of his defection?

I'd love to have seen him when he first arrived in the UK.

Davida1968 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:51:48

My "wish I had seen" is for a play; "The Importance of being Earnest" starring Martin Jarvis & Nigel Havers. (In 1982 - not the version they did in 2014!)

Bluecat Wed 23-Sep-20 13:52:56

I wanted desperately to see Elvis. My sister and I decided that we would save up and go to see him in Vegas. Then our dad became ill with terminal cancer and we forgot about everything else. Afterwards, our lives had moved on.

I am glad that I saw Leonard Cohen, around 1970, and Simon and Garfunkel twice in the '60s. My daughter saw Paul Simon a couple of times in the States, just before he retired, and said he was brilliant. I would like to have seen Dylan in his heyday.

jmsburnham Wed 23-Sep-20 13:58:50

James Taylor and Carly Simon.

Lucca Wed 23-Sep-20 14:00:19

EMMF1948

Nureyev, I used to live for the London Palladium programmes where he appeared, his Corsair still gives me goosebumps.

When visiting the States in 1974/5 ? Nureyev was appearing at the New York Met. I couldn’t believe my luck that I was able to afford and get hold of a ticket. I saw him dance Le corsaire .... still remember the thrill of that,

Lucca Wed 23-Sep-20 14:03:16

Saw the Beatles n Newcastle possibly 1966?

Also saw Victoria Wood live in my current home town. She’s the only comedian who makes me weep laughing,

TrendyNannie6 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:05:18

The boss, U2 and Queen

3nanny6 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:12:15

If I lived thousands of years ago I would have liked to have seen Jesus on one of his walks as he seemed to walk and preach everywhere. It would have been amazing to see him.

kittylester Wed 23-Sep-20 14:14:09

Davida, I was in The Importance of Being Earnest at s hook if it helps.grin

We were going to see that at a fabulous outdoor venue this summer. It didn't happen, of course, and the company are in dire straits now.sad

kittylester Wed 23-Sep-20 14:15:00

School.

trustgone4sure Wed 23-Sep-20 14:27:46

Iv`e seen Justin Timberlake,Bruno Mars,Frankie Vallie,Mick Hucknall,The Osmonds a few times and they were all brilliant.
If i had to choose a favourite it would be a cross between JT and BM.
I would love to have seen The Supremes/Tom Jones/Andy Williams and Queen.

Kate1949 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:42:47

We saw Tony Bennett twice when he was in his 80s. He was fantastic and came across as a real gentleman.

SillyNanny321 Wed 23-Sep-20 14:47:31

Saw many bands years ago & would love to go back in time to see Quo one more time with the late & much missed Rick Parfitt. Saw Quo more times than I can count but could do with just one more time with Rick & Rossi!

Susieq62 Wed 23-Sep-20 15:14:35

Two regrets, Bowie and Queen , seen neither. Their music has grown on me as I have aged. So now I see Elbow whenever I can as I love their stuff!

bikergran Wed 23-Sep-20 15:29:04

Elvis ..

tickingbird Wed 23-Sep-20 15:46:44

Saw Marc Bolan several times. Met him and got a kiss on the cheek! Saw T.Rex at Wembley when the concert was filmed by Ringo Starr and turned into the film ‘Born to Boogie’. Saw the film and several shots of myself and best friend screaming!! Met Ringo too at the same concert.

Always wanted to see Prince and managed it a few years before he died. He was amazing. His musicianship was incredible.

Always wanted to see Elton when he was younger and Queen but never did.

crazyH Wed 23-Sep-20 15:49:11

Elvis

Kim19 Wed 23-Sep-20 15:50:45

Have seen, Johnny Mathis, Frankie Laine, Johnny Rae, Billy Connelly and Victoria Wood that I can remember. Could seriously manage Barbra Streisand and Celine Dione but don't fancy my chances. Who knows?

Dinahmo Wed 23-Sep-20 16:00:00

tickingbird

Saw Marc Bolan several times. Met him and got a kiss on the cheek! Saw T.Rex at Wembley when the concert was filmed by Ringo Starr and turned into the film ‘Born to Boogie’. Saw the film and several shots of myself and best friend screaming!! Met Ringo too at the same concert.

Always wanted to see Prince and managed it a few years before he died. He was amazing. His musicianship was incredible.

Always wanted to see Elton when he was younger and Queen but never did.

My OH and I were at that. He was a photographer and we had to stand immediately in front of the stage. It got very scarey because the audience (mainly the girls) were pushing at the barriers and the bouncers were having trouble keeping them in place. In that small space were the rails for the cinema camera and some crew and us. I had visions of being crushed between the barriers and the camera track.

Foxyferret Wed 23-Sep-20 16:40:25

Seen the Beatles but never got to see my favourite John Denver and now I never will. I content myself with his wonderful music, beautiful lyrics and you can hear every word.

Alioop Wed 23-Sep-20 16:42:39

Mine would have to be Prince as I was so lucky and got to see George Michael or it would of been him without a doubt. Adorned my walls as a teenager. Gorgeous inside and out.

Nana29 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:30:16

Elvis

Ngaio1 Wed 23-Sep-20 17:35:33

Arthur Ashe. Desert Orchid. Red Rum.

Aepgirl Wed 23-Sep-20 18:26:17

Definitely the Beatles - just couldn’t afford a ticket.

Tibbs Wed 23-Sep-20 18:52:30

Desmond Dekker. He wasn’t due to come on stage until 10.30 & I had to be home by 11.00, so I couldn’t stay. Still haven’t forgiven my parents!