Gransnet forums

Chat

What I would ban? and what would you ban?

(123 Posts)
infoman Thu 24-Sep-20 05:31:29

Plastic baloons filled with helium.
Oriental lanterns made of lead,with the candle inside.
Fireworks sold on an indivdual basis.

Heard that Sainsburys will not be selling firworks this year,
a scheme they started back in 2019.
Just wondering if the other large chains will follow suit.

welbeck Thu 24-Sep-20 21:02:11

FannyCornforth

And how on earth are they so widely available???
They are explosives for God's sake!

for retail sale, the vendors have to apply to the local authority for a icence under the Expolsives Act 1875, and there are strict regulations relating to storage, signage, as well as all the age restricted issues.
inspectors are sent out every year to check for compliance. this area of enforcement was always given a very high priority by Trading Standards.

NfkDumpling Thu 24-Sep-20 21:10:58

Helium balloons, Chinese lanterns and those frisby type rings with hollow centres which seals play with and get stuck around their necks.

Cyclists wearing Lycra who travel in groups at under 20 mph along country B roads for mile after mile after mile after mile ignoring the traffic behind which can't get past.

Then there's stuff which is already banned but just needs policing so I'd have more traffic police to sort out tail-gaters, speeders who carve up other drivers and litter droppers.

And that b****y tampon advert telling girls to get it up there.

LadyJus Thu 24-Sep-20 21:56:35

I would ban;
cyclists using pathways, especially when they're cycling next to a cycle track...
Spitting.
Motorway drivers who don't use the correct lane or who hog the middle lane.
Using mobile phones while driving.
Drivers who ignore no right turn signs - or any road signs for that matter..
Wearing nightwear to the shops.
Rudeness towards working staff.
Cold calling.
Litter bugs.
My blood pressure is rising just writing this list!!

phoenix Thu 24-Sep-20 22:03:56

Those filters on selfies/WhatsApp etc that eradicate every line and blemish that make girls think that is how they should look in real life.

Chewbacca Thu 24-Sep-20 22:31:26

Nope! I'm with Bathsheba & M0nica on this one. Too many incursions on free will and liberty as it is and most of the items listed here so far are already illegal or prohibited anyway. And as for "hating" specific individual people or a whole country of people, I just don't get that at all.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Sep-20 22:38:42

Slug eyebrows and scragged back hair to the point where there is traction alopecia.

So many beautiful young women being spoiled by these dreadful fashions.

dorcas1950 Thu 24-Sep-20 23:00:46

Cyclists cycling on the road next to a specially constructed cycle lane!

glammagran Thu 24-Sep-20 23:45:04

Fireworks!!!!!!! I was airlifted to hospital due to a horse riding accident due to this

Txquiltz Fri 25-Sep-20 03:14:40

Intolerance. Our world is experiencing a force like none we have known in our lifetimes. Couldn't each of us commit to being kinder (even if we may differ in opinion)? Scorching others with judgemental treatment is beneath us.

Grannynannywanny Fri 25-Sep-20 07:57:43

Young men who walk around with their jeans sitting perilously low on their hips showing off the top 3 inches of their designer boxer shorts.
After standing in a queue behind one for 10 mins the other day I began to feel the urge to step forward and pull up his trousers like I would for my toddler grandson.

Luckygirl Fri 25-Sep-20 11:40:49

Going on to a website and not being able to get in without either accepting cookies/ads etc unless you spend ages making your selection of what you will or will not accept.

It is so tedious. I tend to close sites that do this and go elsewhere.

NfkDumpling Fri 25-Sep-20 22:01:18

Grannynannywanny

Young men who walk around with their jeans sitting perilously low on their hips showing off the top 3 inches of their designer boxer shorts.
After standing in a queue behind one for 10 mins the other day I began to feel the urge to step forward and pull up his trousers like I would for my toddler grandson.

I'm afraid I have the opposite urge Grannynanny, I want to hook my finger in the waistband and give a sharp downward tug to help gravity.

Grannynannywanny Fri 25-Sep-20 22:53:13

?

Blinko Sat 26-Sep-20 09:02:32

Another wants to ban all things American - so that'll be American movies films, cola, McDonalds, KFC, Kellogs cornflakes (among many other breakfast cereals), Oreos, Google, Facebook, Disney, iPhones and iPads, e-readers. Not to mention George Clooney and Brad Pitt.

I did say 'most' things American. The first several items in your list rather make my case, I think. Being a child in the fifties, I think we were all force fed a diet of American films, to the extent that other movie making countries were sidelined.

As for cola, McDonalds and KFC, these are precisely the sort of rubbishy food I wish we had never set eyes on, along with 'supersized' meals, and the glorification of excess.

Oh and base ball caps, except when in a baseball park. And you can keep Brad Pitt too...

Bathsheba Sat 26-Sep-20 09:12:03

Oops, I stand corrected Blinko, apologies. I didn't check, but misremembered that you'd said 'all things American'.

For the record I can happily live without McDonalds, cola and KFC, but I do enjoy many US films and series, although they do produce a lot of trash as well (as do the UK). I'd be sorry to give up my iPhone, iPad and Kindle e-reader, however!

Alexa Sat 26-Sep-20 09:32:12

Plastic grass. Fireworks

BelindaB Sat 26-Sep-20 10:55:51

Fannycornforth - I had the same problem and solved it by buying my girl a Thundercoat. Yes, they are expensive but not as much as sedatives and there are no side effects.

Our Big Girl would have her TC on, I would turn up the tv and I built her a nest beside the coach were I sit. She sailed through the last 2-3 bonfire nights with nary a fret or fear.

Seriously - they work.

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Sep-20 11:11:25

Thank you Belinda. I've been considering a thunder coat for some time.
I will try one.
Especially as we are heading into firework season, which lasts from October to late January around here...

FlotheCrow Sat 26-Sep-20 11:41:57

Yes, I agree. You should be able to set cookies once and for all, so that they apply to every site you visit and on every occasion you visit that site. I find it infuriating that I have to check cookies every single time.

Sunny82z Sat 26-Sep-20 20:54:04

Cyclists and caravans.

NfkDumpling Sun 27-Sep-20 16:21:51

Changing the clocks. I'd much prefer to be on BST all the time.

Blinko Tue 29-Sep-20 12:22:52

Pax, Bathsheba smile