Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Thu 24-Sep-20 06:14:19

Good Morning Everyone,
its dark, dull and wet here in Brackley this morning.
This will not put me off going to Bicester via Buckingham, and then returning direct.
Up to March I had returned via Buckingham , but the service back also picks up secondary school children ,and as its a small bus I fear the worst .
I had some good news yesterday as to flu jab, my surgery are visiting the luxation early next week to give residents from that surgery the jab.
Mick

Nannytopsy Thu 24-Sep-20 07:53:50

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s been very wet in Suffolk and its still raining this morning. As always, I needed just one more day to finish my new flower bed, then the rain would have settled the plants in. That reminds me - there are two bags of soil conditioner (aka manure!) in the car boot. Must move those! ?
A very enthusiastic heating engineer arrived yesterday, who raced up and down the stairs, disappeared into the under stair cupboard and fixed our problem. Something was wired wrongly and the system can’t have worked properly since the house was built 9 years ago. He wasn’t very complimentary about electricians who work on heating systems!
Since I can’t work in the garden I shall aim to finish the ironing today. The cat also gets to meet his new vet, for his annual service and vaccinations.
I hope the day is kind to everyone. Take care!

GrannySomerset Thu 24-Sep-20 08:04:05

Disturbed night so am a bit lacklustre this morning but have my U3A book group on Zoom at 10.30 am so will need to get organised soon. We are discussing Michelle Obama’s biography so hope that will be stimulating. I can see that reading will continue to be an important part of my life over the winter as social activity continues to be very limited.

DS and lovely partner are playing a flying visit at the weekend “while we still can” so must clear clutter from spare room and make up beds. So nice to have something to look forward to.

Taichinan Thu 24-Sep-20 08:04:22

A very quick good morning to you all from the Angus coast, where it's grey but bright, and cold. Dashing off in a minute to get ready for this morning's four tai chi classes. I did four sets with two classes last night. They are really going to have to start relying on their own memories rather than mine so that I can watch. By the time I got home I was exhausted! Slept like a log though!! Art Group ladies coming in this afternoon so we can decide what we're going to do in future as after today we are no longer able to meet in each other's (mine!) houses Have a pleasant day everyone - do just one thing that makes you really happy. Off I go to tai chi! ???

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:07:17

Good morning Mick and everyone, lovely sunny day here in Oxfordshire, but breezy and quite nippy. Last day of Men on the Roof, they’ve done a good job and the roof looks much tidier with fewer holes, they will be pleased to finish I think now the weather has changed.
Hopefully our electricity will stay on today, only 5 hours of power yesterday as we are all on Generators and the fuses keep blowing! Once the new poles are up we should get back to normal.
Men have just arrived so better put the kettle on.
Have a good day everyone and stay warm and stay safe.

Susan56 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:12:19

Good morning from Shropshire.Its rained overnight but the sun is shining now.

Had a nice day yesterday ruined late afternoon by a two hour telephone call with my mum.Trying to explain in the nicest possible way that the same Covid rules apply to her as to everyone else.Felt so upset and drained by the end of it.She was ranting as though I have made the rules up to spoil her fun.No support from my brothers who didn’t answer their phones as they will have known I was calling for help with mum?

Today I finally have my eye screening.It has been cancelled at our local health centre eight times.I said I would travel if they were able to get me an appointment elsewhere so we are going to a centre 45 miles away.Its a nice drive,we can go the country route and avoid the main road.Will take a flask and snack and find somewhere pleasant to stop on the way home.

Scentia,so sorry about your job.Your little DGS will cheer you up?

Thinking of gilly and hoping we hear from you soon?

Sending good wishes to all with illness,anxieties,worries or troubles?

Kalu Thu 24-Sep-20 08:18:02

Good morning all from a sunny bit nip in the air here in Glasgow. Rain overnight saves me watering the garden. Every cloud and all that.

DD2 took delivery of a new dishwasher yesterday. She had disconnected the old one and with the help of GD1 they managed to get it outdoors. Her new machine arrived and the friendly chaps kindly left it in her kitchen and she set to work installing it. GDs we both very impressed as was DH. When we FaceTimed after school I was pleased to hear the sense of achievement in her voice as DH went over a check list with her? She is her Mother’s Daughter. ?

A few more tulip bulbs to plant and a bit more power washing are my plans for today plus a white wash to hang out.

Sorry to hear the worrying news of your brother Beauregard
What a shame your position has been lost Scentia. Your skills must surely be needed elsewhere. ?

Wishing everyone a pleasant day and a better one if you are struggling through difficult times.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:25:51

Good morning Mick and all

Grey and damp here in S E Essex, I can see a chink of blue and the sun is peeping through.

A pottering day today.

Thinking of all our absent friends.
gillybob ??
Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 08:27:11

Good morning all, another Autumn morning here in Glasgow. Yesterday was beautiful.

I'm so sorry to hear about your job Scentia and Beauregard, I hope your brother improves soon.

As I seem to have had such a busy week, I'm catching up on everything today. A bit of cleaning and some alterations. Nothing ever fits me in the arms!☹️

DH and I went bramble picking yesterday, it was the loveliest of Autumn days and I found it so therapeutic, apart from the fall into the bushes!?
I lost my balance, fell into the bushes and ended up minus a shoe, with one leg in the air, the remaining foot shoeless on soggy ground and the only thing stopping me landing on my backside was my walking stick.
DH was oblivious as always, until he he heard, ^Oh, oh, oh, aaaaaaaargh, help!!! ?, as I teetered above the bushes.
Most of the brambles were gone, sorry Pants, but I did manage to make another 4llbs of bramble jelly.
The first photo is of DH. I sent him into the bushes, he has more padding than me!?
The second photo is of the bush, I fell into!? It was rather prickly.
For all the disasters, it was a great tonic!

I came back to a letter inviting me to attend a flu jab in my local football stadium. The NHS are doing a mass immunisation in huge venues!

Also I managed to get my hair cut in an empty salon. It was great to get out and have a gossip with the two hairdressers, who were very supportive when DD's wedding was cancelled.
I have been going there since I started working in the school next door thirty years ago! It's like going out for coffee with friends! ?
I decided to go shorter than usual, as I suspect more shielding is a possibility.☹️ However, I didn't mean that short!?

As always, thinking of our dear, missing friends and those of us battling ill health and family problems. ?

Kalu Thu 24-Sep-20 08:31:39

Happy 7th birthday to your GS Sar A new helmet will be a very welcome present. ??
What an upsetting day for you Susan compounded by lack of communication or help from your useless brothers leaving you to carry the load?. Hope you have a better day knowing you are doing your best for your Mum at such a sad time in your lives. ?

Gingster Thu 24-Sep-20 08:33:04

Good morning all from a very wet Suffolk coast. DH and I were sitting in the garden yesterday looking out to sea which was bright and sunny. We looked behind us and he sky was black and heading our way. Just got indoors before the heavens opened. Even had rumbles of thunder and a flash of lightning.

Had a lovely walk and picked a few remaining blackberries which I will put in a crumble. DH isn’t keen because of the pips but autumn wouldn’t be the same with the flavour of blackberries. You’re right Pantglas there were hardly any left.

I spent the afternoon peeling, chopping and simmering. Made 6 jars of chutney and some tomato passata. There’s are rather a lot seeds as the toms were small, . Oh well I’ve done my best. Might make lemon curd today. ?.

We had planned to go up the coast to get the little ferry boat over to Felixstowe for the best fish and chips but the weather might put paid to that. My cousin lives in Felixstowe and we had hoped to meet up. Haven’t seen her for probably 20 years. We speak often in the phone, though.

Sorry Scentia to hear you have given in your notice. We could hear how much you loved it. What a shame!

Grandmattie enjoy your day with your son.

Beuaregard I hope your DB is ok and recovers well.

Best wishes to all. ??

Pittcity Thu 24-Sep-20 08:38:11

Good morning from sunny, at the moment, Colchester. Raining on and off and feeling chilly compared to recent weeks.
Shopping and rearranging rearrangements today.... Covid life is soooo complicated.

Pantglas you are very young as everyone 50 and over is getting a free flu jab this year. 65 plus now and others later in the year. Is it not the same in Wales?

Much love to all.

Grandmabatty Thu 24-Sep-20 08:43:52

Good morning All. Beautiful blue skies in Polmont and a nip in the air. Goodness, I'm impressed with all the industry planned for today and that happened yesterday! I had my first haircut for eight months yesterday. My hairdresser is a lovely man and very funny so it was a tonic. The assistant who washed my hair is his younger son, who I taught. It's a weird sensation to have a scalp massage by a boy you taught! He was very chatty though and it was nice to hear his news. I picked up clothes from M&S yesterday which fit, so no returns. Today will be very quiet. Pottering in the house and garden then cross stitch this afternoon. I'm sorry you've had to give up your job Scentia as you seemed to get a lot out of it. Have a good day all.

travelsafar Thu 24-Sep-20 08:45:33

Promising myself a walk tis morning before i do anything else. Just seen some blue patches of sky amid the grey ones so hoping i will be able to get out before it rains again. wondering if i need my winter coat n as it felt chilly when i went out to feed the birds a bit earlier. I also want to get the rest of the pansies and wallflowers in the garden.I did 3/4's yesterday after a supermarket shop then it started to rain on me, so just a small area to finish the job off.
I intend to carry on with some knitting later this afternoon.
Have a good day everyone.

Nannytopsy Thu 24-Sep-20 08:46:52

Update - our bit of Suffolk now has blue skies! I will plant my border after all. Much more fun than ironing ?

GrannyOwl5 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:48:05

Good morning everyone from North Yorkshire on day five of our holiday. I did see the sun briefly when I peered out the window first thing, but it has now disappeared. Rained all day yesterday, but we did manage a trip out to Ilkley so the day wasn’t wasted.
Miss-read your post Marydoll as the NHS doing a mass immunisation in huge veins grin!
Plan on going to Ripon today. There’s quite a bit to see and do; hopefully if the weather cooperates we shall have a walk along the canal and around the cathedral.
Hope everyone has a good Thursday. One day at a time.

Mapleleaf Thu 24-Sep-20 08:52:46

Good morning from a very damp, grey and chilly South Yorkshire. I haven't read all the posts yet, and will go back to them in a bit, but wanted to post before my Pilates session.

I had a busy afternoon yesterday chopping up loads of tomatoes to make another batch of chutney. I now have six jars stored in the fridge and still have some tomatoes to pick (mostly green ones) so will probably collect those at the weekend and make a final, smaller batch. I really enjoyed all the chopping and prep, listening to another audio cd of The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel. It's unabridged so there are 30 discs and I've just listened to the 4th, so a bit of a way to go yet! It's very good, and the hour or so the disc runs soon passes.

I hope you all have the best day you can, and send ?to all who are unable to post at the moment, those feeling unwell and those feeling sad or worried.

Take care everyone.

MawB2 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:58:37

The advantages of logging on late- a lovely sunny Autumn morning!
Good morning to you all - I like the term God’s Morningers!
Disturbed night - I had been watching the Sandi Toksvig programme about adult reading and it must have stirred up memories of 44 years ago when I was an Adult Literacy volunteer teacher in London. My pupil was a very sweet but intense bus driver who only managed to do his job by memorising the entire bus routes - much harder IMO than reading the road signs. When asked how he had passed the driving test etc for London Transport, he shamefacedly admitted he had got a friend to stand in for him. Around that time I had DD2 and had to give up - I do hope he made it, he had had several unsuccessful attempts before me. Anyway - strange dreams last night.
Thinking of those who are ill, worried or down for any reason and wishing you some ☀️☀️today.

Anniebach Thu 24-Sep-20 09:00:24

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

brook2704 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:07:48

Ooops marydoll I do hope you’ve recovered from your fall in the bushes ... it did make me laugh a little and then I felt bad - sorry!
Sounds like you’re having a lovely holiday grannyowl we spent a lovely holiday in that area a few years ago, lots to see and do.
Hope all goes well with your eye appt Susan56
Happy 7th Birthday to your DGS sar - my eldest grandson is going to be 7 in a couple of weeks too, they grow up so fast

gma Thu 24-Sep-20 09:13:39

Got up at 8.00am to wet and dull morning! Made coffee and had shower and now the sky is blue and sun shining! Aghhhh that’s better! Going to do some work in garden now the ground is softer. Bulbs to plant and expired annuals to remove! Up and at it!!

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 09:18:12

Brook, don't worry, I was laughing too! DH was horrified!!

Gelisajams Thu 24-Sep-20 09:29:21

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay. Feeling story for myself as I have had a bad reaction to my flu jab. Didn’t move out of the chair yesterday and today I won’t be doing much as I still feel drained and achy. I’ve had the jab for years as I’m asthmatic but have never anything untoward other than a bit of a sore arm. Apologies for laughing Marydoll. But the vision of you in the bramble bushes was hilarious! Do take care in future. Thinking of all with difficulties, and glad EV didn’t leave us. Now we just need Gilly and others back. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:30:47

Morning all from a sunny South Notts, where we had rain earlier. I may get out and do a little digging in the front border if it stays dry. I have two narrow strips on each side of the car parking space which I changed from grass to flower beds a few years back. It has lavender, box, 'snow in summer' and a few low growing shade lovers as it faces north. Much nicer to look at than plain grass.

Then not much else is planned. Hope today is kind to everyone, especially those with worries or illness.

Greyduster Thu 24-Sep-20 09:31:31

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Another late one for me. I woke up a 4.45 and could get off again for ages. Strange dreams. Maple has our SY weather spot on. Going to be a wet one. Some shopping today, and I’m going to buy some bulbs to replant my pots. DH has a flare up of his eye condition so I will be duty driver when we go out☹️. Have the best day you can folks and stay safe.

Susan56 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:36:37

Thank you Kalu.x