Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(64 Posts)
12Michael Fri 25-Sep-20 06:13:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark again with the days drawing in , looks dry outside here in Brackley .
Nice easy day today , go early to supermarket , plus starting wear more suitable clothing with the season change , I will watch the world champs men's time trial from Imola , on the BBC red button as its uninterrupted coverage.
Take Care ,
Mick

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 25-Sep-20 09:26:39

Morning all from a fairly bright but chilly South Notts. I nearly put the heating on last night but toughed it out instead with an extra layer. Bed changing also and may visit my sister who's only a few streets away. Not much else planned.

I have a pink fabric biker jacket which is a bit flimsy so bright spark here decided to line it with some old silky type fabric. It's not going too badly but not as well as I'd hoped. Well, upwards and onwards as they say. I love your patchwork cushion Sar53 it's very pretty. Many of we quilters started off with hexagons.

Hope today is kind to everyone, especially those with illness or worries.

GrannyOwl5 Fri 25-Sep-20 09:36:50

Good morning everyone from North Yorkshire on day six of our holiday. We had a very pleasant day yesterday looking round Ripon and the gardens at Newby Hall. The weather was kind to us and the only downside was being held to ransom by a slice of chocolate cake which refused to let me go until I had eaten it. As DH said, my diet’s going well!
Today we are having a walk along the river and exploring Ripley which is near to us before coming back to pack the car ready for an early start home tomorrow.
Hope you all have as good a day as you can. One day at a time!

Auntieflo Fri 25-Sep-20 10:00:31

Morning Mick, Annie and all. It must have been chilly earlier this morning, as the heating has kicked in. Lovely.
Marydoll, you must get a kneeler/seat, they are so handy. The only thing to remember is not to think, "oh, I can just reach that bit without moving the kneeler". I did that and sidled off, kept going, then ended up too far away from it! I had to crawl to the washing line post to haul myself upright. Good job is was in the back garden, as it was not an elegant sight.
Also, your beef cobbler needs a recipe post! ?
Expecting a phone call later on, so must stay in until then, and after, a mooch round a garden centre sounds good. Weather permitting.
Meanwhile, the fridge needs defrosting. I keep meaning to look for a new one, but this one is just the right size for the space. IYSWIM.
SAR, your cushion is very pretty. Well done.
I need to find something to occupy my hands, now that my knitting is finished.
Sending lots of best wishes to Gillybob.
Have a good day one and all.

Kalu Fri 25-Sep-20 10:01:23

Good morning all from a sunny Glasgow but my goodness what a drop in temperature. I stepped out into the garden earlier and immediately returned indoors looking for warmer clothing. Brr.

Oh I miss trips to Byres Road Stilllearning. Curlers was a favourite haunt in my younger days and later, always a rummage in Nancy Smillie’s. My winter nesting is just about done indoors and I am now planning outdoors for winter visits from DD1 and the girls. A fire pit is top of my list at the moment.

A woozy start for me this morning as I knew it was payback time for my gung ho attitude working in the garden and a stronger dose of painkillers were needed last night. ?

Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend Bellasnana?

Have a good day if possible all, especially our missing friends.

Grandmafrench Fri 25-Sep-20 10:04:00

Good Morning everyone. Brilliant blue skies, blue velvet sea and glorious sunshine. Lots of wind though, so wooden pegs to anchor my sheets on the line - can’t trust the plastic ones today?.

Lovely to hear all the Morning Club conversation. They’re not really posts, to me, because of so many interesting comments about the ‘doings’ of others and the interaction. A joy to read.

Weather seems to be shouting “Autumn” ? across the Channel. Even if chilly, now, hope the plans and trips are still on for those who can. It is good to plan for some cosy, home nesting though. So much prep. has been carried out in the garden, it’s possibly high time to dig out the leccy blankets and warmer duvets.

We get our rugs out of storage - only tiles in the heat - but not yet. Logs are ordered for the wood burner and all the shutters are cleaned. This year we shall empty the pool after ?and re-tile the bottom. Not a job to dread because of warm sunshine but DH will definitely use a kneeler seat. I am scandalised MissMarydoll that you are not a kneeler owner - they make rummaging around at ground level so much easier! ?

So sad to hear of your loss, Bella.
Keep soldiering on, GM’ers. We’ll get a handle on this new life, you’ll see. Until then, take care, be patient, get well wishes if needed and have the best of Fridays.

Big hugs from

EllanVannin Fri 25-Sep-20 10:16:40

Good Morning All x
Bright, sunny and breezy this morning which is always a pleasant change after a couple of dull rainy ones.

Slept off the effects of the " difficult " 'flu jab and glad to say that the sore-arm as nurse had promised didn't fortunately come to much. Here's hoping it does its job !

Nothing planned today. I just take each day as it comes which suits me. D might pop in if she has a spare half hour as when I rang her yesterday she was waiting to have blinds fitted around all the windows---blimey, it's a big place. Then the builder was going to ring her so I cleared the phone for her.

I did manage to note that she's driving up to Durham tomorrow to see Ruby-Lou----with 3 siblings on board.grin Good luck with that when they get bored ! Because of the rules in place, a friend I know who lives 5mins. from the place can't meet up with them yet. She would have been company for D and also shown them around places to visit .

Marydoll's beef cobbler sounds wonderful. A few years ago Asda used to have both beef and chicken cobblers and they were really good, then suddenly they came to a halt never to be seen again. They'd appeared to have been a good seller too. Isn't this what generally happens to some products ?

Lovely cushion Sar. I just adore home-made , be it throws, bedspreads or cushions. Some clever and patient ladies here.
I remember in the 50's an aunt used to make " rag-rugs " in all sorts of colours and materials. Also paper flowers made with crepe paper. The roses were beautiful and looked almost real.

Thinking of Bellasnanna on the sad loss of her friend, always a difficult time flowers I did wonder not having seen her for a while.

Thoughts also to those who are struggling, our Gillybob is no exception and we can only hope that things can improve.
Stay safe and well everyone when out and about xx

CherryCezzy Fri 25-Sep-20 10:18:38

Good morning everyone from the Gower where the weather is as indecisive as I am.

I've not been feeling my best all week, no seizures ☺️ just feeling worn out but don't know why.

I have finally managed to finish sorting our bedroom out though! ☺️. Our spare/guest room to do now, though not likely to have visitors any time soon as our area is threatened with lockdown ?. At least my daily group quiz keeps me sane ?.

Sar your cushion is lovely, very good for a first patchwork project ☺️

I missed out about yesterday Susan but I know your siblings don't really help out with your mum, so it at lands on you. You are wearing yourself with it all, look after yourself.

Bellasnana, it's doubly hard to lose a friend in the time we are living in. My friend died early on in the lockdown. Take care ?

I hope everyone has a good Friday, take care and stay safe all ❤️

HAZBEEN Fri 25-Sep-20 10:18:38

Good morning all from a quite bright (for now) Surrey.
Well I have just taken the last of my tablets for this week. I have to take 1 every day Monday to Friday then nothing Saturday and Sunday. Its my first blood test at the Day unit on Monday so we will see if they are beginning to have an effect.
Waiting for a courier today with some medication for the poorly fish! I dont know if anyone will remember but my OH rescued 5 baby goldfish 2 years ago. Well we only have one left alive but my is he a whopper! He has outgrown 2 tanks! We call him Sid as in Viscious because he attacked the others! He has developed a sore bit on his head and the vet recommended antibiotics in the water. He has cost us a fortune since we got him but OH loves him! The cat is not so keen!
Thinking of everyone with problems at the moment. Stay safe everyone.

Georgesgran Fri 25-Sep-20 11:03:11

Good morning from Durham. Bright and breezy here. Both DH and I have had poor nights - his peripheral neuropathy is getting worse. He takes Pregabalin but we can’t keep raising the dose? Any ideas anyone? I’ve had ‘tummy’ trouble - something I’ve eaten perhaps?

Nothing was planned today by DD2 has phoned to see her abscess is no better, so I’m probably going to do a 50mile round trip to collect another ‘script, get it filled and drop it off at her office.

Hope everyone has the best day today. X

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 25-Sep-20 11:04:31

Good Morning all from Harrogate (while the sun shines). Yesterday a hospital appointment decided my foot was doing well, so no need to wear the surgical boot. Yay! Yesterday I also joined in with an art club via zoom, first time with zoom. Had a visit from granddaughter straight from school. She's getting used to school not just being one day. Today I have a dental appointment to replace a filling which came out shortly after my last visit in February!!
Hope everyone is in good spirits

Feelingmyage55 Fri 25-Sep-20 11:07:41

Good morning from a very chilly north of Scotland. I have cut the grass, maybe the last cut of the season. Washing is done and tidied up. If I post early I tend to spend too much time reading and browsing.
sar lovely cushion. Are you going to move onto a table runner? beechnut. I still use coins to weight curtains - a 2 pence instead of the old penny.
Byers Road was a great haunt when I was a student in Glasgow. The whole of life can be experienced there. One of the best things was if a took a taxi (they were very cheap) it was like having a private audience with Billy Connolly. Glasgow humour is second to none, oh and the noise at the panto. Happy days. So glad to have these memories in the bank.
Keep on keeping on everyone ?

Taichinan Fri 25-Sep-20 11:54:22

Good morning all. The weather in the Angus coast is throwing everything except snow at us this morning, including a strong wind out of Siberia! I have decided that when "busy doing nothing" becomes an Olympic sport I shall go for Gold! How I admire all you GN's and your productivity - and yet I still sit on. I'm just not a self-motivator I suppose. I love your patchwork cushion Sar. It's very pretty and I would certainly give that houseroom.

Yesterday was the last meeting of our "art group" for the foreseeable future as in Scotland we can no longer have people visit in our homes, and we can't meet up in a cafe as we would be more than two households. We've been meeting here for 21 years apart from the three months of total lockdown. I'm lucky that I have the tai chi classes, permitted (so far anyway) if carried out under Covid-secure guidelines. It's lovely to see each other that way, even if there's little time for loads of chit-chat. (We manage, mind you!)

Marydoll I hope you get your kneeler today - that sounds perfect for you. You are an inspiration to us all, with what you achieve in spite of so many problems. If only you lived nearer, I'd invite you to come and give my unmotivated self a kick in the proverbial!!

Bellasnana I am so sad for you that your friend has passed away. You must have been such a comfort to her towards the end, and now is the hard time for you. Thinking of you ?. And thinking too of all the others who are struggling just now. Make today the best day you can. ???

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 12:00:24

Taichinan, not so much an inspiration, but a bolshie and determined old biddy!
That's what broke my health in the first place and forced me to give up my career. sad
I was convinced I was invincible! wink