Gransnet forums

Chat

Trampolining

(35 Posts)
EthelTheTank Fri 25-Sep-20 18:05:52

Can a gran trampoline? I haven't been on one in a while but the grandchildren have one and it looks so fun. Might do my knees in or wet myself or have another injury. What do you think about trampolining?

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 18:28:01

One of my teaching colleagues decided to have a go and tore the ligaments in her leg. She was off work for weeks and she was young and fit!

Do so at your peril! wink

BlueSky Fri 25-Sep-20 18:37:48

I wouldn’t. If kids hurt themselves they bounce back not so much us grannies...shock

MaryTheBookeeper Fri 25-Sep-20 18:41:55

I'd have a go, it's great for training your pelvic floor! grin

GrandmaMoira Fri 25-Sep-20 18:48:08

It's really bad for your pelvic floor. A study was done of young, fit, single physios before and after trampolining regularly and they had worsening of their pelvic floor due to trampolining.
Older women who have had children are putting themselves at risk.

Marydoll Fri 25-Sep-20 18:52:57

...and a chance of serious injury. I'm not a spoil sport, I just think the chance of broken bones is high.

I've lost count of the number of children I saw in school with trampolining injuries.

Chewbacca Fri 25-Sep-20 18:55:38

Cautionary tale: my colleague, her OH and some friends had had a few winewinewine one evening and decided to have a go on their trampoline. As colleague landed on the tarpaulin bit, her (heavy, male) friend accidently jumped on the inside of her knee. Being slightlynthe worse for wear, due to the winewinewine, she didnt realise the damage done until the next day. Knee was severely damaged. Several operations done to try to repair the damage and she STILL suffers immense pain several years later.

Witzend Fri 25-Sep-20 19:03:32

I did once try it, after urging from very small Gdcs, maybe 3 and 4 then.
I lasted about 30 seconds.
If that.

Starblaze Fri 25-Sep-20 19:03:59

I've tried it, wasnt too much with my bad hips surprisingly but it did feel like my uterus would fall out.

Give it a go, just make sure on your own at your own pace and don't let adrenaline mask any niggles

Nannylovesshopping Fri 25-Sep-20 19:08:41

You will need at least three tena ladies ?

returnofflyinghandbag Fri 25-Sep-20 19:21:09

Bounce on all fours and get the kids to do the same, it's quite fun. I get my young relatives to do it too, they think it's fun and I don't break my hip. X

Callistemon Fri 25-Sep-20 19:25:33

The last time I trampolined was with DGS years ago.

I landed on my back, he was laughing but carried on bouncing (he was about 6 at the time) and I just couldn't get up again until he relented and helped me.
He's much more considerate now but no more trampolining for me.
The DGD are just brilliant, back flips, gym moves etc so I couldn't possibly compete.

GrannySomerset Fri 25-Sep-20 19:30:14

No, don’t give it a go! A former neighbour, consultant in charge of A&E at a children’s hospital, forbade his children from having one, having seen so many injuries. His daughter rode and his son played rugby, both quite dangerous sports!

grannyrebel7 Fri 25-Sep-20 19:30:52

I've had a go on my GC's trampoline. Can't say I enjoyed it but survived! GC have had a few injuries though. A strange one involved my GS biting his tongue quite badly!

Callistemon Fri 25-Sep-20 19:32:49

Having been dragged by a horse and knowing someone who broke his neck at rugby, I think he's being over-cautious!

The only reason there are more injuries from trampolining is that far more children have a trampoline than ride horses.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sep-20 20:36:41

Before Covid regularly went to trampoline centres with GC, some GC have trampolines in garden, like all activities there is an of risk .

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Sep-20 20:38:28

Callistemon

Having been dragged by a horse and knowing someone who broke his neck at rugby, I think he's being over-cautious!

The only reason there are more injuries from trampolining is that far more children have a trampoline than ride horses.

We are a horsey family and more injuries on trampolines than on horse back (or falls)

seacliff Fri 25-Sep-20 20:41:18

I had a go about 20 years ago, with my sister . Great fun, but w didn't stay upright for long. Much hilarity. Not sure if the bouncing or extreme laughter caused a little accident. blush

merlotgran Fri 25-Sep-20 21:33:36

I hate the flipping things. They're not only dangerous but awful eyesores in gardens and we once spent an afternoon trying to enjoy a barbecue in a friend's garden while the overgrown 'children' next door bounced up and down for hours - constant annoying creaky noise and leering over the fence at the top of each bounce.

I wanted to shove a sausage in their cake holes.

Chewbacca Fri 25-Sep-20 21:35:50

I wanted to shove a sausage in their cake holes.

said with such feeling merlotgran! gringrin

NotTooOld Fri 25-Sep-20 22:01:52

What about those trampolines you sometimes see in parks or at the seaside, the ones that are at floor level? May be less dangerous as they only take one person at a time, I think. Trampolining looks so easy and such fun that I'd like to try it. Probably won't, though. Too risk averse!

EthelTheTank Sat 26-Sep-20 10:54:31

Sounds more dangerous than I'd realised! They have one of the in the floor ones which I think is better because I wouldn't have to climb up two steps to get there. I'd love to give it a go. And I won't forget my tena ladies ?

Sarnia Sat 26-Sep-20 10:56:44

A bit of gentle bouncing up and down shouldn't hurt. I should forget the double back flips and somersaults for a while though.

Rainwashed Sat 26-Sep-20 11:04:48

They have a trampoline centre near where I live. Have been tempted to go but thought perhaps I am too old.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 26-Sep-20 11:28:39

I've trampolined as a gran but not since I was in my mid 50s. No problems as I did follow all the rules of being on one. It's amazing how much energy you need.

My daughter did trampolining from age of 9 through to her early 30s and competed in competitions and later taught it. I've watched and spotted during years of lessons. My GD also went to a club for tuition and eventually they had one in the garden.

My enjoyment was just bouncing. No acrobatics.

Evidence about pelvic injury is to do with rebounding exercises done on mini trampolines and those set in the floor.

EthelTheTank Sounds like you've never done it before. Read all the dos and don'ts about using one then make up your mind. If you are prepared to follow the rules then have a gentle bounce by yourself.

Chewbacca's cautionary tale shows that no more than one should ever be on a trampoline unless they are experienced. It scares the life out of me when I see 2 or more children on their garden trampolines. No wonder accidents happen.