Gransnet forums

Chat

Trampolining

(36 Posts)
EthelTheTank Fri 25-Sep-20 18:05:52

Can a gran trampoline? I haven't been on one in a while but the grandchildren have one and it looks so fun. Might do my knees in or wet myself or have another injury. What do you think about trampolining?

Witzend Sat 26-Sep-20 11:47:07

My former objection was to the one next door, where their own children and others were on it so much, and one of the younger girls would scream - I mean that very high pitched screaming - almost non stop. We have small gardens so there was no getting away from it if you were outside.
It made me feel positively murderous. ?. I was so relieved when they finally moved.

Gdcs have one but it’s at the bottom of quite a long garden and they’re not allowed to scream!

MrsRochester Sat 26-Sep-20 11:54:57

merlotgran

I hate BBQs
grin

merlotgran Sat 26-Sep-20 13:56:50

MrsRochester

merlotgran

I hate BBQs
grin

So does DH but I'll go anywhere for a meal that I haven't had to cook. grin

MrsRochester Sun 27-Sep-20 11:04:25

Fair point ? merlotgran

Franbern Sun 27-Sep-20 13:01:07

One of the more dangerous items many people have in their homes and gardens is a trampoline. It is tragic how many children get hurt using these, some with life-changing injuries. Any A&E Consultant detests them.

Trampoline is a wonderful sport, but needs to be undertaken in appropriate conditions with trained and qualified British Gymnastic Trampoline Coaches controlling it. And this is for ALL age groups.

One of the more dangerous aspects of garden trampolines is that more than one person is allowed on it at the time - this is an invite for an accident, and could be very serious one indeed.

If people must have one of these things in their garden - then they must observe strict rules AT ALL TIMES/.

Not placed near or under a tree or overlying wall.
Good, often checked netting surrounding it
NEVER more than one person on at any time
NO child on it without adult supervision.
NEVER ATTEMPTS at such things as somersaults.

Better still do not have one, and put for the children to join a properly registered and safe club and learn how to do it properly.

Franbern Sun 27-Sep-20 13:03:27

Just a comment about so-called trampoline parks - one of my former colleagues, a very high ranking trampoline coach, told me a few years ago when these were starting, that he has earned more money out of those having to attend court so often as an 'Expert Witness' than he had for previous five years teaching top level trampoline champions.
However, he also pointed out how sad it was to see so many young people so severely damaged at these places.

PamelaJ1 Sun 27-Sep-20 13:05:42

The remains of ours yesterday.
The wind lifted it over a 10ft hedge.
This was after retrieving it and started the dismantling.

felice Sun 27-Sep-20 13:31:16

An Xboyfriend is a Consultant Radiologist and hates trampolines with a vengeance.
He said they got at times 5 serious injuries caused by them a week, the worst when they were used when wet.
We have space for one but decided no.

Blossoming Sun 27-Sep-20 15:25:19

I can injure myself without the help of a trampoline, so it’s a no from me.

Bellasnana Sun 27-Sep-20 15:42:48

Well, speaking from experience, I would steer well clear of it!
A few years ago I was having great fun bouncing with DGD on her trampoline when I suddenly felt something amiss. Without going into TMI, I had displaced some internal organs. The doctor told me our muscles holding everything in place are weaker as we age. Sadly, my trampolining days are over and I would urge extreme caution to anyone thinking of giving it a go.