Gransnet forums

Chat

Extravagant purchase

(95 Posts)
Roses Sun 27-Sep-20 10:31:20

Do you have something that you buy even though it expensive but you can justify it for whatever the reason
Mine is silk pillowcases which I started buying years ago when the menopause kicked in
They are so cool I couldn't go back to cotton ones now

What's yours?

B9exchange Sun 27-Sep-20 17:33:44

Holidays to us are not an extravagance because they are what we have saved for all the years we were working. I have friends who did the same and the husband died soon after retirement, so we feel if we have a window before we get too decrepit, now is the time to go. The only thing that keeps me going is the planning of our next holiday, just booked the flights for next June, now to find the accommodation!

Luckylegs Sun 27-Sep-20 17:37:38

Our dog has quite a lot of problems and the vet keeps asking every time we go if she’s insured. No, she isn’t, never have insured any dog. She was 4 when we got her and been bred from four times and not kept very well. An MRI scan would cost £2000 (why?) so we’re deciding what to do. The point is that we know what’s wrong with her and she’s on medication so I can’t see the point of finding out definitely what it is as she wouldn’t be able to stand an operation. My point is that my husband refuses to spend £3000 on a tooth implant which he needs desperately but he is seriously thinking of paying for this MRI! Which is extravagant and unnecessary - you decide!

CocoPops Sun 27-Sep-20 18:07:09

When the rainy season strikes here ( West coast N.America) it rains heavily and often.
I have just replaced my 8 year old waterproof with a 3 -in- 1 coat similar to my old one. (It has a warm quilted zip -in lining which can be worn on it's own) . On the one hand I know a good waterproof is essential when out with my dog but on the other hand I feel it was an extravagance!

BlueSky Sun 27-Sep-20 18:15:45

Roses DH often says that, children will have no qualms on spending the inheritance parents carefully saved for them! grin
B9 well done on booking your next holiday! I used to love the whole planning, booking and finally enjoying our holidays, this year I just can’t even bring myself to look! But it’s just me as DH would off be on the next plane! grin

Floradora9 Sun 27-Sep-20 19:44:19

This situation has made me stop and ask myself why I still try to save instead of enjoying my money. I have just replaced my large deep freeze and get a new washing machine next week . Who knows what will be next .

NotTooOld Sun 27-Sep-20 19:59:31

watermeadow - you should definitely fork out the £200. I am a radio fan, too, and fully understand how you feel. Tell yourself you are worth it - because you are! flowers

Hellogirl1 Sun 27-Sep-20 21:01:07

I`m trying to convince myself to buy a new oven. This one is only 3 years old, and works just fine, but there are things I don`t like about it. Should I persist with it, or spend umpteen pounds on a new one?

Mapleleaf Sun 27-Sep-20 23:08:01

Watermeadow if you can afford it, buy it. It sounds to me as if it will be money well spent because you will get a lot of use and pleasure from it. You will not regret it, I’m sure.

Teacheranne Sun 27-Sep-20 23:24:49

Right, persuade me to buy a new iPhone. I currently have a very old iPhone 5 with a scratched screen. It used to be my daughters so I did not pay for it, it's SIM only with a 30 day contract for just £10 a month. My daughter ( phone guru) says the iPhone 7 will not be supported by Apple after next year so I need to go to a newer model.

On SIM only I will have to pay several hundred pounds and, even though I did not want a long contract, I've been looking at Tesco mobile (I have mobility problems but can get to Tesco easily) as they have some deals for 36 month contracts and I can use some vouchers.

I just don't know which model to get! I want a bigger screen, at least 6in size but that's all really.

Two,of you have bought iPhones recently, what did you buy?

Sparkling Sun 29-Nov-20 09:04:15

Holidays and cashmere, Maw I love yours, have wanted silk pillowcases for some time but couldn’t do it as the silk worms are boiled alive so I went for satin,

Sparkling Sun 29-Nov-20 09:06:05

I would go with Tesco. I didn’t know Apple were not supporting the iPhone 7 ?

Puzzler61 Sun 29-Nov-20 09:21:37

Hellogirl snap. My oven is 10 years old but still working. It has a grill which is unmanageable - it either isn’t on or it’s full on. The shelves in the oven are dangerous as they slip off the side rails very easily. But a replacement (double oven, gas, to fit in the housing unit) is £700 plus.
The thrifty part of me says wait until it goes bang.
The extravagant side of me says bite the bullet and buy a new one.
My extravagant buy was a black 3/4 length double breasted reefer jacket. (Some say pea jacket). It’s proper ‘quality’ and was £100. It makes me feel smart when I wear it.

petra Sun 29-Nov-20 09:31:43

I love Jack Vettriano prints. I've just ordered another 2. I will have to take down some other pictures to accommodate them but it's worth it ?

Witzend Sun 29-Nov-20 09:35:51

I very rarely make extravagant purchases, but by far my best (worst) was - don’t laugh! - a prehistoric tortoise cast in bronze, which we saw 2 years running outside a little metal-worker’s shop in France. I don’t mind admitting that I fell in love with him but the price tag the first time we saw him did give us a shock.

He’s about 40 cm long and incredibly detailed and realistic, I can’t begin to imagine the work that went into him. He’s called Spike O’Saurus (spiky shell) and lives all year in the garden.
At the time I told dh that he was my Christmas and birthday presents for the next 10 years!

Missfoodlove Sun 29-Nov-20 09:36:37

My biggest extravagance was a Lacanche range.
It is has given me so much joy.
It’s an absolute workhorse, beautifully made and looks great too.

annodomini Sun 29-Nov-20 09:45:23

My Stressless reclining chair. I miss it if I'm away from home and during these periods of lockdown, I've more or less lived in it!

MiniMoon Sun 29-Nov-20 10:06:13

I don't spend much money on myself. I buy what I need when I need it.
My extravagance has been buying a Black Forest cuckoo clock.
Years ago DH bought one. It was his favourite thing, but I dropped it and broke it while rehanging it after decorating.
I have always felt guilty and thought it was time to replace it.
I am waiting for it to be delivered, hopefully intact!

Urmstongran Sun 29-Nov-20 10:12:23

Burford Brown eggs. Once eaten no others will do. ?

Alygran Sun 29-Nov-20 10:33:16

My electric garage doors were an extravagance but a great buy.
Two visits to Australia, flying business class with DH just after we retired. Fabulous memories to hold onto when the going gets tough.
For those with cooker issues, just do it if you have the money. Replacing unsafe ovens and grills is not an extravagance.

Franbern Sun 29-Nov-20 10:44:06

If you can afford to buy whatever you want and not go into debt, or go without something important -then go for it.

I can remember my best friend paying out for tooth implants and saying to me that if her husband had still been alive he would have been horrified at the cost. I pointed out to her, that if it made her happy then he would have been happy.

New oven to replace an unsage one is NOT an extravagence - it is an important purchase. Many, many years ago, when things were extremely touch I can remember my oven door would not stay shut tight - something wrong with the hinges which were not replaceable. I used to have to keep it shut to cook things by placing a long piece f wood under the handle and then across jammed into the skirting board opposite. How none of us had serious accident I do not know.

At the time there was no way we could find the money to replace it, and I was cooking for a large family of eight of us.
The first windfall that came our way went on replacing that oven.

Anniesixty I agree with you about first class train travel. Also, found the first class lounges at main stations are so much more comfortable and welcoming than the usual ones, as well as providing refreshments.

Boz Sun 29-Nov-20 10:49:03

Apparently, silk pillowcases iron out your face wrinkles and keep you hair clean for longer. Go for it.

Beauregard Sun 29-Nov-20 10:52:29

Air conditioning units in our bedroom and lounge. Not used often but an absolute godsend in hot weather. Worth every penny.

travelnan Sun 29-Nov-20 10:53:13

Puzzler 61 Please replace your oven now. You could have a nasty accident. A new oven is not an extravagance but a necessity. Do not hesitate. Have a look at AOL you might be surprised at their prices.

Puzzler61 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:50:16

I will travelnan.
We probably should have done it in the Black Friday sale. Perhaps some offers are still on. I’ll look at AOL online as you suggest.

Rosalyn69 Sun 29-Nov-20 12:09:03

Tom Ford perfume.