Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you remember how you travelled to the continent pre 73?

(57 Posts)
mokryna Tue 29-Sep-20 16:30:47

I had to order from the bank foreign money and the amount was limited. It wasn’t much. There were no bank cards or cash machines.

vegansrock Wed 30-Sep-20 19:07:40

I went on a German exchange in 1964, we went by train, ferry and coach. the crossing was very stormy and I have memories of people being sick overboard. Part of the visit was going to West Berlin which was then in the days of The Wall. Had to cross the border with very young border guards making eyes at us teenagers in miniskirts. Still have vivid memories of the impression that made. Have visited Berlin since. A great city.

mokryna Wed 30-Sep-20 19:12:49

When in Greece we could walk inside the monuments whereas nowadays they are fenced off.

NfkDumpling Wed 30-Sep-20 19:31:06

I didn't leave Britain until 1983. We couldn't afford it.

Mamardoit Wed 30-Sep-20 19:31:32

*Surely not in the 70’s!

Back in the 50’s there was a limit but I have no recollection of stating any amount when I went to France and Germany to au pair or to Switzerland to study in the 60’s*

There was certainly a limit to the amount anyone could take out in sterling(£50?). and amounts were written in passports because I used to write it in as a cashier in a bank. Everyone took travellers cheques and currency. ATM machine were only just starting.

My grandparents were just factory workers and the went to Europe and North Africa at least twice a year from the late fifties to 1971/72. They started because grandad wanted to take grandma to the places he served in WW2. Their children were grown up and they weren't involved much with us GC. They saw it as making up for the years they were apart.

Mamardoit Wed 30-Sep-20 19:39:29

I went to Europe with the school and under 16s didn't need a passport. We all went on a group passport. That would have been 1972.

Even in the early 80s a full passport wasn't necessary to go to France. We did day trips with our DC from Folkstone.

Witzend Wed 30-Sep-20 19:40:05

We were taken to the border but not the wall, on our German exchange trip. It was a bit scary fairly close up, seeing the soldiers with rifles in their ‘goon boxes’, ready to shoot anyone trying to escape.