Gransnet forums

Chat

Second lockdown

(133 Posts)
Katyj Thu 01-Oct-20 07:28:58

It feels a whole lot worse this time around. Suppose it could be because the first time it was all new to us, the sun was shining, and learning to use FaceTime was a novelty ? . This time it’s just upsetting, boring and depressing, been there got the t shirt.
Everybody Seems to be talking about Christmas, ordering food, how do they know if their going to be together ? Is it just me being negative. Should I assume we’re going to be able to see the grandchildren soon.
If your in Liverpool and can see your family today ,see them. We only had 6 hours notice, if we’d have know we’d have had a last visit.
The reason it’s spreading so much up here is ,not many people are abiding by the rules.I work with five grandmas similar age to me, not one of them have stopped seeing their families only one picks up from school So in a support childcare bubble, it’s very hard listening to them day in day out.
At least at the moment ,thank goodness we are all well fingers crossed. Sorry for the moan ?

Toadinthehole Thu 01-Oct-20 10:13:20

Down here in the Southeast, the virus is quite low. I think it’s because people generally are unsociable, nothing to do with breaking rules! Northern people are so much more friendly. However, that’s all bound to change now we’re overrun with students again. My personal opinion is, tens of thousands of them have been travelling all over the place. What could possibly go wrong!?

kwest Thu 01-Oct-20 10:14:41

Frightened witless by the possibility of catching it or passing it on. I intend to make sure all our shopping needs are organised for the next few months and then I WILL LOCKDOWN. The government don't seem to know anymore than the rest of us so apart from essential things like flu shot and personal grooming(unless rules change), I will not be seeing family or friends until after Christmas. These are personal choices rather than necessities . Previous generations coped with wars etc. We can find the courage to get through this even if it is inconvenient.

hicaz46 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:16:03

It would have been naive to assume that Covid wouldn’t increase with the onset of colder weather. It has been forecast all along. Although where I live, in East Midlands, we are not having lockdown measures imposed I cannot visit my DD and GC in Greater Manchester because of local restrictions or my DS and GC in Brighton as they are a family of 5 and there are 2 of us. I haven’t seen the Brighton family since last December as we were due to visit when lockdown started. I am resigned to the fact it might be another 6 months before we can get some sense of normality back in our lives.

Houndi Thu 01-Oct-20 10:16:53

We come under Birmingham and have a local lockdown. You can't meet family friends in the house or garden but you can meet them at coffee shops and Pubs as longer than no more than 6.Grandparents cannot meet grandchildren expect if looking after them.The whole rules are completely madness

Jillybird Thu 01-Oct-20 10:21:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VRH1 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:22:43

I sincerely hope there is not another nationwide lockdown, whereby they threaten you with the police and ANPR cameras etc. I live in Norfolk and my recently bereaved Dad lives in Worcestershire. We were ‘banned’ from going to see him. We phoned every day and asked if he was alright and he said he was ‘fine’. He is 86. When we finally got there he was stick thin and his clothes were hanging off him. He hadn’t been eating and the cupboards were nearly empty. He had been forgotten by his GP for food parcels. He’s got severe COPD and bronchiectasis, and heart disease. He was told to ‘shield’ by this government. He was frightened, but being one of the old guard he wouldn’t let you know that. This time we are prepared. Age UK have been helpful.

As an aside, I have a friend living in Thailand. They have a population similar to us. They’ve had 3,000+ infections and 56 deaths. They completely closed the borders. No one allowed in without a Thai passport and work permit and all had to self isolate at a government institution for 14 days. Very strict measures. By comparison, this country are following the ‘herd immunity’ strategy. Funny how the latest outbreaks follow Sunaks ‘eat out to help out’. I predicted this. It’s a no brainer.

Spec1alk Thu 01-Oct-20 10:22:48

Flintshire goes into local lockdown at 6pm today and yet the NHS covid app states we are only medium risk in this county. I’m confused!

Motherduck Thu 01-Oct-20 10:25:23

My 27 year old daughter has Covid.. she has terminal cancer also. Hence she caught Covid as she had low immunity. Her Oncologist told her that she could have caught it off anyone, anyone at all regardless of whether they display symptoms,
They can appear perfectly healthy and yet they can also be a carrier.
She has spent a total of 9 intermittent days at home since early July,
And having had her baby delivered early so she could start treatment,
Followed by a hip replacement (bone cancer) she only started chemo 3 weeks ago, and it really is all she has. She’s now had to stop the chemo due to the Covid.
Everyone has a different take of how Covid affects them personally and they’re valid, of course they are.
But I do feel that university students and the Christmas dilemma pales into insignificance. I’d give my life to take her place and to be able to have one last Christmas with her first.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:26:36

Well Harrogate seems to have more cases than previously, so It will be just a matter of time before we are affected again. I have enjoyed seeing my grandchildren, so I am luckier than those who haven't managed to see their grandchildren. I shall just have to grin and bear it when it comes, 'cause I can't afford not to.

Teddy123 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:28:09

I'm at a loss to understand anyone's shock and surprise to learn that Covid-19 numbers are on the rise.

It's a VIRUS! Viruses don't disappear! We are vaccinated..... the same as many of us do for influenza.
However, 'flu and pneumonia fatalities are never eradicated.

There are many efforts being made in all countries to complete trials on a new Covid vaccine so perhaps by next Spring.

But surely you all know this.
From some posts I find it frustrating that there is so much dismay. Be sensible and you'll be fine.

Gma29 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:30:19

I find it depressing because it didn’t work last time, in that it only reduced the numbers and spread temporarily. Almost as soon as people started mixing more normally it started up again. The damage lockdown wreaked in other ways to jobs, business, education and the health of those with non-covid illness, was and is dreadful.

I don’t know what the answer is, without destroying everything else in society, and I suspect nor do the experts.

Gizzy48 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:30:34

Lexigranny, surely if you were shielding before, you're still shielding? My husband received the letter about vulnerability and shielding, first time round, because he's on immunosuppressants. He's still on them, so surely he must still be shielding. Has something changed in your case, like coming off medication? In fact most of us over-70s are vulnerable because of age, and THAT'S not going to change.

Rosalyn69 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:31:47

I’m in Swansea. Most of Wales is in this new lockdown. We just have to get on with it I’m afraid. I did go for a pedicure this week - just me and the beauty therapist in the salon gloved and masked. Husband and I went for a meal last night - all precautions in place.
We have to learn to live with the situation as best we can.
Christmas will be Christmas. I’ll decorate the tree and the house and buy presents.

Ashcombe Thu 01-Oct-20 10:33:14

Motherduck
Your post brought tears to my eyes. My heart goes out to you. The inconveniences of a potential lockdown pale into insignificance next to your situation. So very sorry to hear of your sad circumstances. flowers

Katyj Thu 01-Oct-20 10:33:18

Motherduck. I’m so very sorry to hear about your daughter you must be heartbroken. I totally agree about the university students some of them acting totally irresponsibly. The very best of love and luck to your family. flowers

Alioop Thu 01-Oct-20 10:35:15

I'm finding this one more daunting. Summer we had lovely weather, gardens, etc. The hour walk we were allowed I really enjoyed. Cold and long dark days ahead with just my dog for company isn't looking good, I know it's going to be very lonely.

CaroleAnne Thu 01-Oct-20 10:38:09

Dear Jane10. What a sensible approach you are taking. There is nothing much else we can do except just go with the flow and make the best of it.
I am almost shielding at present as I am having my pacemaker generator changed in about 6 weeks time and choose to protect myself. I am only going out with DH for exercise.
Cats are certainly good company.flowers
My best wishes to all who are finding it difficult at the moment. It hopefully will not be for ever.

cupcake1 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:38:29

Motherduck So very sorry it must be heartbreaking for you. This certainly will stop me from moaning about ‘my lot’ and appreciate what we have not what we have not. Virtual love hugs and flowers to you and your family xx

CaroleAnne Thu 01-Oct-20 10:39:49

thanksFor Motherduck.

Peace67 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:44:24

Its tricky isnt it . as a little confusing. Christnas i have just completed my gift buying for the grand children and family & friends etc. Purely for cost effectice reasons mixed in with if we are in lock down, at least the presents will already be with those its intended for and if i cant be present , so be it.
We are lucky this way as generally people listen and we have been middle with it all the way through. I wash hands more and avoid crowds and avoid mixing household's too much as in never more than 6 of us together. I do wash clothes if been very public when i come in. My husvand similar though not quite so as me.
I find the rules confusing as they keep changing but pretty much stick to what i do. I used to have the grandchildren regular overnight and do not now as they go to school and mix a lot and i just think if we stick to it and pull together itll be back to a normal sooner x

win Thu 01-Oct-20 10:44:43

12Michael mentions about sports. I am totally confused as to why sports centre can keep operating when the rules clearly states that it is limited to the rule of 6, yet they have masses of over 18s indoors in both the gyms, swimming pool and exercise classes. Yet as far as I read it is only under 18s and disabled people who are exempt. Also private sports groups like Pilates and so on are operating in classes of 15 thinking they are covered by the Support Group rule, but I understand this is not so?. Can anyone clarify all this as even the EDDC here in Devon do not understand the rules!!! Which support groups can meet in groups of 15? and what sport can carry on as normal, apart from the professional sport who of course can because they are all in a bubble.?

Mapleleaf Thu 01-Oct-20 10:48:15

It's very hard, I know, but we've got to try to remain as positive as possible. Things will get better, it's just that the tunnel seems rather long and dark at the moment, especially with these set backs. We have to hold onto the fact that things were much grimmer back in March. Whatever the weather, if at all possible (not possible for everyone, I know), we need to wrap up warm and venture outside, even if only to the end of the garden/ street. Every season has its beauty and it might help to hold onto that fact and look out for the things that bring pleasure.i
Motherduck I am so sorry to read of your daughter. What a terrible situation for all of you. It does put things into perspective and I send you my very best wishes. Your plight makes worries about Christmas & visits seem insignificant by comparison.

LauraNorder Thu 01-Oct-20 10:50:08

Motherduck my heart goes out to you and your daughter, how awful for you. Certainly puts things in perspective for me, I have much to be thankful for and if we have to isolate, spend Christmas alone or whatever then we must to keep those who are most vulnerable safe.

Peace67 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:51:35

Motherduck i just scrolled up. I am so sorry to read your situation.
My daughter had breast cancer, chemo and radio and masectomy. Then i got breast cancer. Then my father died and mum already passed so that was enough for me. There by the grace of God we are cancer free.
I will be praying for you and your daughter x

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:54:44

My heart goes out to you Motherduck??xxx