Gransnet forums

Chat

The most beautiful song I have ever come accross

(127 Posts)
sandye Thu 01-Oct-20 14:05:44

I have recently heard a piece of music that has bought tears to my eyes. It was at a funeral for my friends husband so was an emotional day, but this piece of music has really struck a cord. I hope you get a chance to listen to Donna Taggart a song called Jealous of the angels. I love all music but this one strikes at the heart. sorry cant post the link I'm not that clever.

GreenGran78 Fri 02-Oct-20 20:14:14

Bluecat your post reminded me that the hymn “Do not be afraid” is one that is often chosen to be sung by my choir at funerals. I’m not sure whether the families notice that one verse is “When the fires are burning all around you, you will never be consumed by the flames.”
The previous mention of Christina Rossetti reminded my of her lovely poem, “Remember me when I am gone away,” which has been beautifully set to music. It was sung at my husband’s funeral Mass, but we exited the crematorium to the strains of “The Hippopotamus Song.” Richie loved a bit of silliness!

Grannynannywanny Fri 02-Oct-20 20:22:22

At the funeral of an elderly aunt her family had Spirit in the Sky blaring out from the speakers in the crematorium as the congregation stood up to leave. It raised a few chuckles and it was a rousing send off. It was still playing as everyone filed past the family to pay their respects on the way out. It really lifted the mood for everyone.
youtu.be/AZQxH_8raCI

Justwidowed Fri 02-Oct-20 20:51:16

For my husband's funeral I chose the theme tune from Last of the Summer Wine,as it was his favourite programme and I'd always threatened to play it as his funeral ,for the final song "Glory Glory Man United ".He was an avid supporter and it certainly raised a smile.

Lizzyflip Fri 02-Oct-20 21:02:17

If heaven had a phone. David Alexander. I had it played at my husbands funeral and I want it at mine when I go.

Grannee Fri 02-Oct-20 21:22:26

Schumee - that Abba song is so moving ....

paddyanne Fri 02-Oct-20 21:25:29

Granny23 I am so sorry for your loss,I'll light a candle tonight for you and your family and hope that tomorrow goes as well as these things can.Take care

Floradora9 Fri 02-Oct-20 21:40:22

I am really surprised so few people are not choosing classical music . I would have Nimrod by Elgar and some Mahler .
We went to a funeral last year where the chap's step sons choose " My Way " for him and it was so not the kind of thing he would have wanted.

Grannynannywanny Fri 02-Oct-20 21:43:20

Granny23 I’m so sorry. I skimmed briefly over this thread earlier and missed your post.
Your choice of music is just lovely.
Sincere condolences ?

debsf1 Fri 02-Oct-20 21:46:33

We had Dancing in the sky by Dani and Lizzie played at my husbands funeral along with Stray Cats, Rolling Stones and plenty of Elvis. His service was held in our back garden so there was no time constraint for Chapel time. We even took him on a cruise on a Hot rod Pickup followed by friends and family in an assortment of classic cars including his classic American car driven by his brother. Friends and family still comment on what an amazing send off he had. I now work at a Crematorium and have noticed that more people are opting for upbeat music rather than hymns.

misty34 Fri 02-Oct-20 23:24:15

I was considering Should I stay or Should I go for mine! Partner wants They are coming to take me Away HaHa [does anyone remember this one]

Chestnut Fri 02-Oct-20 23:49:47

For the funeral, can't decide between:

Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Sandy Denny
In My life - The Beatles
Going Back - Dusty Springfield
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash

They all have such great words and are so appropriate.

MaggieMay69 Sat 03-Oct-20 01:58:14

I'm having 'Its my party and I'll die if I want to'...the grandkids can sing it...
Plus they all have to turn up dressed as something beginning with T, so then, they can have a T party!
I'm going out with a slight bang....lol

FarawayGran Sat 03-Oct-20 02:13:34

I have been thinking of this on and off since I had Chemo. My choice tends towards the classical

Arvo Part - Spiegel im spiegel (Mirror in the mirror)

Farewell to Stromness by Peter Maxwell Davies

And something cheery, because I don't want them all crying but I don't know what. I'm reading this post for inspiration.

Madgran77 Sat 03-Oct-20 05:48:31

sandye I have never heard Donna Taggart or that song before. It is really beautiful and thankyou for posting about it.

Grannyguitar Sat 03-Oct-20 08:35:35

NotTooOld = Hey you get offa my cloud?

Alishka Sat 03-Oct-20 10:24:32

The most beautiful rendition of a beautiful song for me is Jeff Buckley singing Dido's Lament by Purcell. If you don't know it, google Dido's Lament by Jeff Buckley with comments by Philip Sheppard - it's on YouTube.
It stopped me in my tracks when I first heard it and continues to do so.

debsf1 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:09:26

There is a definite move from somber songs and music at funerals to more upbeat and fun songs. A lot of the families now want to make the funeral more personal to them and their loved ones by making it a celebration of the deceased’s life. ‘My way’ by Frank Sinatra, ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ Monty Python, ‘Wind beneath my wings’ Bette Midler and Somewhere over the rainbow by Eva Cassidy are now regularly played in many of the funerals held at the crematorium where I work. Those requesting classical music or hymns are now few and far between.

Annaram1 Sat 03-Oct-20 11:22:15

I don't think this is necessarily a thread for songs or music to be played at funerals. I chose Danny Boy but it is a sad song if you listen to all the words. Some wonderful choices here though.
I would like Elvis' version of "Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, remember all the things that you have made..." A recorded version of it was played at the crematorium when my husband died. When I told the priest that I had Elvis to sing he nearly had a fit.

Clevedon Sat 03-Oct-20 12:46:33

Beautiful

sassenach512 Sat 03-Oct-20 21:58:34

It's going to be The Shadows' 'Wonderful Land' for DH and I can't decide between John Denver's 'Take me home country roads' or Eva Cassidy's 'Over the rainbow' for me, mind you, Percy Faith's 'Theme from a summer place' is a nice one to wend my way home to aswell

faye17 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:47:28

Herbie 9 - I adore both of those

Auntieflo Sun 04-Oct-20 11:52:19

I am very fond of 'Slipping through my Fingers' , by ABBA, and yesterday, when our granddaughter was married, I got quite emotional.

faye17 Sun 04-Oct-20 12:05:02

Sincere condolences Granny23
Thinking of you flowers

Oopsminty Sun 04-Oct-20 12:09:16

Auntieflo

I am very fond of 'Slipping through my Fingers' , by ABBA, and yesterday, when our granddaughter was married, I got quite emotional.

That really tugs at the heart strings

I remember watching Mama Mia with my gorgeous daughter and it dawned on me she was on her way to live her life

Which is great!

But so sad as well.

tricia12 Sun 04-Oct-20 15:07:19

karl jenkins the armed man with choir