Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembering Lily of the Valley

(37 Posts)
Bigred18 Tue 06-Oct-20 03:30:55

I remember these and the beautiful perfume from my days living in England. My local florist here in Sydney recently had some for sale - $14.99 for one flower! I'd have loved to buy but not at that price, but I did have a long sniff.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Oct-20 11:20:35

Probably my favourite flower because of its perfume with freesia coming a close second.
Thinking of during the summertime when some people were taken ill after eating asparagus, it dawned on me that the plant/veg is connected to the lily of the valley---or vice-versa so a probable contamination of the seeds.

Many lovely plants/flowers and parts of fruit and veg are poisonous which is a bit scary if you think too deeply about it, whether it's the leaves or stones of a fruit.

Oopsminty Tue 06-Oct-20 16:12:29

One of my lovely Mum's favourite flowers

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 06-Oct-20 16:23:43

One of my favourite scents. I had it in my bridal bouquet together with rosebuds and pinks.

Witzend Wed 07-Oct-20 14:09:36

M&S do a v nice Lily of the Valley cologne.

Ellianne Wed 07-Oct-20 14:16:58

I thought I'd look for a nice lily of the valley candle. Would you pay £50?

downtoearth Thu 08-Oct-20 13:35:03

Lily of the valley sounds like a visitor to the Argy...

Sorry for lowering the tone grin

Ellianne Thu 08-Oct-20 13:43:23

Gwynonwen
Sounds pretty in Welsh downtoearth. I might have to adopt it for a new name!

Alishka Thu 08-Oct-20 13:48:57

"Mugget of Boys" - Glorious!grin

BlueBelle Thu 08-Oct-20 13:59:57

It’s not just the flower maydonoz all parts of the plant are poisonous flower leaf stalk and bulb and not just to dogs it’s very poisonous to humans if ingested

Lucyann Not just dogs
--Lily of the valley can be fatal if ingested, especially to children. The method of action is through cardiac glycosides, which create an effect much like exposure to that of Digitalis, found in foxglove. The plant is classified as a “1” on the poison scale, which means it has major toxicity that can lead to
death--

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-20 14:57:52

I tried to establish it in an area of my last garden but it didn’t thrive and eventually died out altogether. When we lived in Belgium, there was a large area of woodland behind our house and it was full of lily of the valley. The scent as you walked though was heavenly.

silverlining48 Thu 08-Oct-20 15:23:17

On a rare recent trip to a shop I noticed lots of lily of The Valley in soap, talc, bath stuff. It looked so old fashioned but took me back. It did smell nice.