Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Tuesday

(61 Posts)
12Michael Tue 06-Oct-20 06:13:10

Good Morning Everyone,
Its another dark start , signs of maybe a small frost with wetness on paving here in Brackley .
Housework priority this morning , prior to getting the bus and doing my usual Buckingham and Bicester , have a coffee and a bite to eat then small shop, before returning home to watch the Giro on TV .
Take Care ,
Mick

Gingster Tue 06-Oct-20 08:19:29

Welcome home Ashcombe . You’re a very brave traveller. Well done !

Lins1066 Tue 06-Oct-20 08:25:35

Good morning Mick and all from a wet S Welsh coast. Hospital appointment this morning.
Wishing all those with worries and pain some ease today.
Take care.

Marydoll Tue 06-Oct-20 08:30:21

Good morning all from a grey Glasgow with showers predicted. ?
I had another disturbed night and am exceedingly grumpy! Don't say you haven't been warned! ?

Yesterday was totally uneventful until dinnertime. My neighbour phoned across to ask what the fire was behind our house. What fire? ? I rushed hobbled upstairs to see what was happening.
The sky was full of black smoke and I could see orange flames against the dark sky, behind the trees. How on earth could I have missed that?
There was no sign of the fire service. It's really odd because the fire station is only at the end of our road.
Neighbour called the fire service and I called DH to help me close the windows. Been there, seen, it, done it before.
Did he come when I called, did he heck!
Anyway, the fire was out within the hour, but we still can't see the wood for trees, so don't know what was burning.

Later on watching TV, I heard a car outside, then I was sure I could hear someone in our drive. DH said I was imagining things. I went out to the porch, the outside light was on and I could see a masked man in the drive!! ? I got such a fright, thinking it was a prowler.The man started waving at me.
I've left you a parcel, hen! I didn't want to ring your bell and disturb you, as it is so late!! Who delivers parcels at 9.30 in the evening, leaves it on the step and walks away without alerting the recipient???
Where was DH? Oblivious as usual and lying relaxing on the couch.
I have renamed him, the The Scarlet Pimpernel!!!

Sending goos wishes to all who are unwell, especially your daughter, Sark.
Mapleleaf , I hope you get everything sorted quickly. Sorry if I have missed anyone. I am all out of sorts this morning.

Have a good day, everyone.

Marydoll Tue 06-Oct-20 08:32:11

Elizabeth, good to see you out and about! I wouldn't have recognised you!! You look lovely and bright. Take care and no more falls.

Auntieflo Tue 06-Oct-20 08:35:17

Good morning Mick, Annie and all. It is actually not raining here at the moment!
I will get up in a minute.
The trouble is, DH brings me a cup of tea, I switch on GN and lose myself for ages.

Lovely picture Elizabeth1 and good luck with your recovery.

Ginster we used to live in Rayleigh, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the Mount.

Nothing much doing today, except for volunteering this afternoon, and after weeks of reduced hours, we are 'working' longer today.

To Gillybob and all who are struggling or under the weather, best wishes.
Have a good day one and all.

Beauregard Tue 06-Oct-20 08:40:42

Elizabeth1 Lena Martell sang "One day at a time"

Urmstongran Tue 06-Oct-20 08:41:17

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s not windy either. A perfect day for our Ladies Who wine! ??

No text message nor one bell yet from our COVID warriors. Day 6 for them today. They say they feel as though they’ve made slight progress but still cannot go all day without an afternoon sleep. Understandable really.

Regards Covid I read yesterday that Manchester is a hot spot with 1 in only 200 having it. Sheffield & Leeds in a bad way too now. All university places hence the high figures.

I didn’t realise how awful the floods have been in France, just north of Nice. Such shocking footage on the news.

Are you sleeping any better GG13? I had a one-off bad night last night - goodness knows how you’ve been functioning.

Elizabeth you are so pretty and much YOUNGER than I thought. I hope your recovery goes from strength to strength.

Time to share this iPad. I miss having my own!

Hope Tuesday is kind to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Stilllearning Tue 06-Oct-20 08:43:22

Morning from sunny (not) S Lanarkshire. Your description of Plymouth took me back Beauregard. DD3 and her husband, both in navy, !ived there for several years and when she went into hospital to have her first child I booked a B&B and jumped on a train (10 hour journey from Glasgow). I remember walking all round the harbour area for hours waiting for my son in law to phone and wondering if I’d done the right thing. Fortunately she was thrilled and it was such a joy to get to hold my first grandson.
Enjoy your break and good wishes to everyone.

dragonfly46 Tue 06-Oct-20 08:46:23

Yes NannyJan I had to ask! A scrum master is someone who manages a team and removes the obstacles which may be in their way to get a job done! It came in handy for our Zoom 'Call my Bluff' the other night!

Elizabeth you are looking wonderful.

Oh kitty leaky ceilings are indeed a real pain. I do hope you get it sorted out before the winter.

Greyduster Tue 06-Oct-20 08:46:33

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. As Mapleleaf has said, the sun is trying its darndest in South Yorkshire this morning, but it’s cold. Hope you get your electrics sorted soon, Maple. We may wrap up and go for a walk later, but I have a couple of phone calls to make first. Have a good safe day, whatever it holds for you.

Urmstongran Tue 06-Oct-20 08:58:44

Daughter just sent a text:
“So you think we’re being great during COVID mum, well Trump would think we’re weak. I should be back at work fist pumping everyone by now!”
Made me laugh.
?

Anniebach Tue 06-Oct-20 09:00:02

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Taichinan Tue 06-Oct-20 09:02:43

Good morning all, and a beautiful one it is on the Angus coast. The sun is shining! What a difference to the past three days I shall catch up with jobs around the house with a skip in my step. I got all the phoning done about the class cancellations yesterday. At least I know that if I have picked up the virus I won't be passing it round to another 30 or so people plus tbeir contacts. And if I have picked it up, then forget about masks, hand sanitising, social distancing and well-ventillated halls!! I've done my best!

I hope your tai chi class goes well, Grandmattie, and your regular leader feels able to return soon. And I love your flower baskets Jax - I love a bit of winter colour and they will certainly cheer you through. Actually your pic has prompted me to go out and inspect the pots I planted up with DGD when she was here a couple of weeks ago, and they are really blooming after the torrential rain and howling gales of the past few days. It was also surprisingly mild out there.

What on earth does a scrum master do Dragonfly? Does she crack the whip in rugby scrums? Or master the tasting of scrummy cakes? Do tell.

Did anyone else watch last night's programme about Prince William and conservation? I thought it was delightful to watch, although very scaring to think about. Anyway, he and Kate came across so well - lovely young family.

Have the best day you can everyone, with smiles in place. ???

Bellasnana Tue 06-Oct-20 09:11:21

Good morning all from Malta where the sun is shining and there is a cool breeze wafting through the French window.
We had quite a storm during the night, it woke me up so I shut the door to keep the noise out and went back to sleep. It has cleared the air, thankfully.

Lovely photo Elizabeth, it has been a long haul for you yet you still keep smiling and with your positive attitude things can only get better. By the way, I shall have ‘One day at a time’ on my brain all day now!grin

I’ve done my aerobics, had my porridge, done a bit of dusting. Think I will walk up to the village when I’m showered as I shall be stuck to the sofa once the tennis begins.

Hope you all have as good a day as possible, with thoughts for all who are under the weather for whatever reason.☀️

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:23:12

Morning all from an overcast South Notts where we had some heavy showers yesterday. It looks like today will be much of the same.

I'll tackle the small mountain of ironing when I feel like it. Oh, to be able to twitch my nose like Samantha from the old TV show 'Bewitched' - wouldn't that be fun?

Best wishes to all especially those who are under the weather for whatever reason.

Susan56 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:35:21

Good morning from Staffordshire.We left home at 5.45 to drive over here to look after our DGS.I have had two large cups of coffee so am ready to face the day with a two year old!

We usually go for a walk to the local shops and then to the park but will see how the weather is later.

Lovely photo Elizabeth?

Hope your daughters appointment goes well Sark?

Thinking of gilly and all with health and family worries.

Borrheid55 Tue 06-Oct-20 09:45:15

Morning all! It’s a bit brighter here in Kent. Woken this morning by DH “talking” to the garage re his poorly car. I say talking but as he’s deaf he doesn’t hear his own voice so compensates. As his car is known as ‘Anne1’, you’ll appreciate who is his first love. I think I am Anne12 now!
Elizabeth1 Lena Martell sang ‘One day at a time’. Often sung in a very drunken manner at many a New Year party in Scotland. Didn’t Billy Connolly comment on it, singing in the manner of a cabaret chanteuse?
Marydoll life is anything but dull with you! Too much excitement isn’t good for you! Hope you get some rest today. Time for a cuppa! Have a good day all!

Grandmabatty Tue 06-Oct-20 09:54:24

Popping back to say Elizabeth that's a lovely photo. Lena Martell sang One Day at a Time as others have said. We appeared in the audience of one of her shows televised by bbc in the 70s. I looked like a cut down Nana moskouri.

Nortsat Tue 06-Oct-20 10:19:28

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a fairly bright east London.

I plan to list more items on EBay today, particularly things I haven’t worn for years. I am letting the money build up and will treat myself to something frivolous, when I have a reasonable amount.

Lovely photograph Elizabeth.
Ilovebeigecardigans whenever I am doing housework, I long to be Samantha from ‘Bewitched’.

Easy supper for us tonight ... I have some cold roast pork.
Thinking of the absent posters and sending all good wishes to Gilly. Have a good day all and ?for those facing challenges. ?

Kalu Tue 06-Oct-20 10:22:09

Good morning everyone from a slightly bright Glasgow but we are promised rain by lunchtime.

Those cyclamen baskets are lovely Jax. I have just filled three baskets with fuscia coloured cyclamen which are now hanging from a tree to brighten up the garden. I did some bulb planting yesterday and realised last night I forgot to soak the anemone bulbs for three hours before planting! First job today, root out 20 bulbs and soak them. ?

Might be time to watch a Billy Connolly DVD Borrheid I remember watching the party singing part of his act. ?. Non stop laughter when we saw him perform in Glasgow in the 80s.

Have a pleasant day all with kind thoughts to all with worries and illness.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 06-Oct-20 10:25:48

Good morning. Sun shining on Glasgow and the Campsie Fells.

Jaxjacky Tue 06-Oct-20 10:29:49

Just a quick note, a local family nursery supplied the cyclamen and the pansies/violas! My green fingers are, ?vegetables only. But, appreciate the comments, thank you.

EllanVannin Tue 06-Oct-20 10:29:55

Good Morning All x.
Turning a bit brighter now but it's so damp everywhere making it feel colder than it actually is.
I do intend to go to Asda today and double up on a few things, most of all I want some dried peas in readiness for winter pea soup--yummy.

Just received D's Aussie card which had been posted on the 22/9 ! Apparently a parcel is expected which had been sent snail mail air mail before that date. The card postage cost $3.20 cents for the privilege of being a week late. Don't know whose fault it is but I'd be more inclined to blame this end !

I can't get for going this morning trying to do half a dozen things at once---which is me all over. At least the cats are settled after their breakfasts which is always a good thing when deciding to go out or they try and follow me grin feel like the pied piper at times.

I hope your DD gets some answers today Sark as continual headaches leave you feeling washed out.

A lovely pic. Elizabeth, and don't you look well ? Well done.

Marydoll reminds me of how my own mum and dad used to be. Dad was a real Mr Magoo but a good man and brother and I used to laugh many a time at their antics, as dad never listened half the time. Anyway I hope things improve with you as the day goes on. Aches and pains aren't nice.

Hoping everyone's well and staying as safe as you all can be.
Take care, special thoughts to Gilly. xx

maydonoz Tue 06-Oct-20 10:41:01

Good morning all, it's a cloudy but dry morning here in Welwyn, Herts but rain is expected in the afternoon.
All chores finished indoors so thought I'd write a quick post. Lentil soup is cooked on the hob waiting to be blended before dinner.
Wishing everyone a pleasant day whatever it brings.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:57:37

Good Morning all from Harrogate (haven't decided what the weather will be like but I suspect horrible later), At least I feel brighter today! Shall probably be making soup very soon, definitely soup weather, I shall also have to find out if I can put another order with Morrisons without cancelling the one expected on Thursday (which happened last time I tried). Marydoll I think your DH has the same problem as mine, and indeed many others - selective deafness!
Hope all are feeling good and better than yesterday