Gransnet forums

Chat

Kitchen Table Lingo - The English Project and other phrases?

(100 Posts)
MadeInYorkshire Tue 06-Oct-20 11:07:44

Thinking about the thread about the loo/lavatory/khazi/bog/toilet got me remembering The English Project and the book 'Kitchen Table Lingo' from 2008.

Does it sometimes seem like your family speaks its own language? Families up and down the UK have their own special vocabularies. Discover tinsellitis sufferers in Tunbridge Wells, elephant users in Edinburgh and chobblers in Cardiff. Whether it's a slip of the tongue that becomes a permanent part of the family vernacular or a word invented when all others fail, "Kitchen Table Lingo" is part of what makes our language so rich and creative. This collection of hundreds of words from English speakers around the world - complete with space and an invitation to add your own - is a wonderfully entertaining celebration of the spoken word and the people who take pleasure in it. After all, what other language has fifty-seven words for the TV remote control?

www.englishproject.org/activities/kitchen-table-lingo

I did actually get a word in there, so am now a published author! Lol ....

But it also got me thinking about a phrase that my family always used, which was "it's a bit black over Bill's Mothers" - now as a child this did confuse me as my Dad was called Bill and his Mother, my Gran lived in Filey, so it must have rained a lot in Filey I assumed?

Anyone else get confused by some of the phrases people said?

tidyskatemum Tue 06-Oct-20 16:23:33

Whenever I ask my elderly aunt in Yorkshire how her DH is I always get the answer”e’es proper maungy” (and not jaunty as autocorrect keeps trying to write!)

Grandmafrench Tue 06-Oct-20 16:53:10

Kitty I had a lovely sheep called Mardi - not just because she was born on a Tuesday but because she had a lovely grumpy expression when she was born.

"It's a bit Bostock & Wombwells (Wombles) in here" described a very untidy room. B&W was a very old travelling Circus company in the UK.

More artful than a cartload of monkeys was used in our house. My elderly Great Aunt always spoke of the beautiful Muriels on the walls of her church and in winter her bad chest was explained away as her suffering badly with her Bronickals. Words we have continued to use wrongly with great amusement.

When my Granddad was late home, he was always told to 'throw his hat in'. The linen press in our family home was the big oak cupboard where the sheets and pillowcases were kept.

My elderly Mum was never just cold, but "shrammed" and would complain that her children's tangled curls were like "a besom in a fit". Anything like the t.v. remote, computer mouse, hole punch, or item the name of which we can't be bothered to recall, is still referred to as a "Joinker" - after a massive hole punch which was used in my Grandfather's office.

My Mum's response to endless questions regarding "have you seen my......?" was "It's probably up in Annie's room behind the clock". No bedroom ever contained an Annie or her clock!

PinkCakes Tue 06-Oct-20 17:11:02

Here in Nottingham, when talking to children, we used to call
horses "bobbos", sweets "duddoos", and if something was dangerous for a child to touch, we'd say "babbahs" (bab-ahhs)

Lexisgranny Tue 06-Oct-20 17:51:51

In Wales moidered is used rather than moithered/mitheringI and is often used in context “I’m really moidered today”. ie muddled, not getting things right, as well as “Stop moidering”

midgey Tue 06-Oct-20 18:13:28

The cat has been flirting with a toy, had to flirt the dust down the stairs. Never heard before but lately in Staffordshire.

grannysyb Tue 06-Oct-20 18:40:27

My Granny's cleaner used to say "I'm like the elephant, all behind!"

MadeInYorkshire Tue 06-Oct-20 19:36:19

Ha, ha! That prompted some good answers!

PinkCakes we say 'bobos' now for going to bed, and also a bed was known as a 'scratcher' in our house, When the dog used to dig in his bed he was 'getting scratched up' ....

Another one (which I think possibly my Dad made up?) was 'snurging' That would be what the dog did when he was wet or had been fed, when he ran his nose up and down bottom of the sofa or on the carpet - anyone come across that one before?

The word I actually got in the book was

Boking Noun - the retching sound that cats and dogs make when being sick (Boke is the resultant vomit) Coined by Bill * and used for 2 generations of his family.

paddyanne Tue 06-Oct-20 21:20:40

Boak is used a lot in Scotland ...he gies me the boak ,if you dont fancy someone or ,it was that bad I had the dry boak .

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 22:11:42

You aren't from West Yorkshire by any chance, are you? grin
No, my mother was Midlands.
She never said 'Ooh, give over' - that was Mary's mother (from Yorkshire!), MamaCaz
We dunna say that in the Midlands. It wunna be polite.

Lexisgranny Tue 06-Oct-20 23:11:13

You munna say dunno it inner polite
You shouldna say shunna it dunna sound rite

(and that was a real battle with predictive text,)

I heard that in Shropshire MamaCaz, not too far up the road!

Lexisgranny Tue 06-Oct-20 23:12:45

Sorry just realised that should have been addressed to Callistemon

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 23:18:50

I know what you mean, duck, despite autocorrect!

ExD Wed 07-Oct-20 07:37:11

Here comes the cow's tail, meaning someone's late (cow's tail is always behind)>

and a family one - my MIL had a hysterical money (hysterectomy ) and she had a lavertry bush (laveteria garden plant), as well as someone still had all her facilities (faculties) about her.

ExD Wed 07-Oct-20 07:40:25

lavatory bush (sorry - spelling).

PECS Wed 07-Oct-20 07:46:52

We used to take our kids to Hampt Courton.

MamaCaz Wed 07-Oct-20 07:53:04

There's none reet (right) but thee 'n me, 'n I'm none too sure about thee!

MamaCaz Wed 07-Oct-20 07:58:11

In our family, if one of the dgc breaks wind, it's usually known as a bang-botty.
This has come via my dil's family, because one of her sisters once said it when little, and it stuck grin

Glorybee Wed 07-Oct-20 08:47:51

In Manchester it was -
Mard/ nesh for being soft
Mithering (long i!) for persistent pestering
Bandy legs ‘Wouldn’t stop a pig in an alley’

Glorybee Wed 07-Oct-20 08:56:48

A family one is the cat box drawer. When we were first married we used to put odd bits n bobs in a box with pictures of cats on it which was too pretty to throw out, so things were ‘in the cat box’. As it got too full and tatty, it was thrown out and the contents were transferred to a drawer which then became known as the cat box drawer, as have all its ‘descendants’.

Spangler Wed 07-Oct-20 09:06:31

Cockney rhyming slang is a language all of it's own. Some friends, down here in the "Sarf" had been watching football on the TV. Harry Rednap, who was at the time, the manager of one of the teams, accused the referee of: "dodgy minces."

He meant, mince pies, eyes. He's insinuating that the ref must have been blind.

marpau Wed 07-Oct-20 09:28:09

*Glorybe we were out for a drive yesterday and saw a man with bandy legs walking along the path and both said at the same time "he wouldn't make a pig farmer"

Auntieflo Wed 07-Oct-20 10:02:32

When pestering mum about what we were going to have for dinner, her answer was " air pie and wind pudding".

Or, when someone broke wind, it was a Foof

GrandmaKT Wed 07-Oct-20 10:55:42

MamaCaz

There's none reet (right) but thee 'n me, 'n I'm none too sure about thee!

In East Yorkshire they have a saying
"You can allus (always) tell a Wessie (man from West Yorks), but you cauna tell im much"

MamaCaz Wed 07-Oct-20 11:32:37

GrandmaKT

grin grin grin

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 11:35:50

If someone had something wrong with an eye, my nan would say they had "One eye and a whilk" (whelk)