Gransnet forums

Chat

Kitchen Table Lingo - The English Project and other phrases?

(100 Posts)
MadeInYorkshire Tue 06-Oct-20 11:07:44

Thinking about the thread about the loo/lavatory/khazi/bog/toilet got me remembering The English Project and the book 'Kitchen Table Lingo' from 2008.

Does it sometimes seem like your family speaks its own language? Families up and down the UK have their own special vocabularies. Discover tinsellitis sufferers in Tunbridge Wells, elephant users in Edinburgh and chobblers in Cardiff. Whether it's a slip of the tongue that becomes a permanent part of the family vernacular or a word invented when all others fail, "Kitchen Table Lingo" is part of what makes our language so rich and creative. This collection of hundreds of words from English speakers around the world - complete with space and an invitation to add your own - is a wonderfully entertaining celebration of the spoken word and the people who take pleasure in it. After all, what other language has fifty-seven words for the TV remote control?

www.englishproject.org/activities/kitchen-table-lingo

I did actually get a word in there, so am now a published author! Lol ....

But it also got me thinking about a phrase that my family always used, which was "it's a bit black over Bill's Mothers" - now as a child this did confuse me as my Dad was called Bill and his Mother, my Gran lived in Filey, so it must have rained a lot in Filey I assumed?

Anyone else get confused by some of the phrases people said?

MadeInYorkshire Sat 10-Oct-20 12:53:29

Oh yes we had snickets, and mardy bums, and coggies, anyone knw what a coggy was?

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 13:12:01

When I'm in the mood, we still have a 'ginnel' rather than a passageway or alley between our house and the next.

I grow up saying 'gip' not 'gag' (the wretching reflex in the throat) - I didn't even know the word 'gag' existed in that context until I left the area as a young adult.

We also 'sided' our toys etc. away and I didn't know that wasn't standard language either until I moved south. I still use it quite often even now, as does OH.

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-20 13:49:15

I wonder if any other Scots remember that cats were often referred to as 'cheetie'? When the owner called them it wasn't 'Puss,puss' but 'ch, ch, ch). My nephew and his wife used to have 'Big Cheetie and Wee Cheetie'.

Tweedle24 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:19:03

My West Country relatives referred to spring onions as ‘chibbles’ and I still find myself using that word.

A family favourite is ‘samlon’ for salmon. My younger sister drew a fish when she was small and labelled it ‘A Samlon’. She knew there was an ‘l’ in there somewhere. Since then it has always been called samlon in the family. Gets some funny looks when overheard by non-family members.

Tweedle24 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:37:23

GranmaKT My MIL used to say ,”Tiffy on a rock cake”. I had
never heard that before I met her. She was Stockport born and bred.

My father used to tell us to look behind the clock in Annie’s room when something was lost — very confusing as I had two Aunts Annie. He was brought up in Portsmouth.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:44:57

Of course if your clothing has a bit of fluff on it, then north of the border we'd describe it as a bit of oose!

Parsley3 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:54:34

GwenI hadn’t heard the word oose for ages. It takes me back to my upbringing in Glasgow. To rinse out a cup was to ‘sine’ it and to ‘redd ‘ the table was to clear it. Great words.

Callistemon Sat 10-Oct-20 15:00:45

I grew up saying 'gip'

"It's giving me gip" meant something a bit painful, eg a sore knee, tooth etc.
Said with a soft 'g'

MamaCaz Sat 10-Oct-20 15:10:20

The 'gip' that I use(d), meaning the same as 'gag', is said with a hard G. It's still in use - I heard it on Emmerdale only a few days ago ?

We do use the expression that you mentioned above too, Callistemon

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-20 16:01:02

I thought it was peculiar to my mum, but now I know that when she said that something was 'oosie', she hadn't just invented it!

Squiffy Sat 10-Oct-20 16:49:32

My SiL introduced me to the word twittern, which I love. It’s originally from Sussex and means an alleyway that goes between houses.

JuliaM Sat 10-Oct-20 18:52:26

‘Puzzle Gardens‘ were the labyrinth of narrow back alleyways that joined up several small cottages and terraced houses where there was no other access, and nothing to do with any kind of Garden at all!
‘Gone for a Burton‘ was a common phrase for sitting on the outside Toilet, reading the paper, and often smoking at the same time, often for quite some considerable time!
One theory was that the phrase originated from around the Burton Brewery’s, where drinking beer that was ‘off’ often resulted in needing the toilet for a good clear out of ones system of the offending ale, which could take quite some time!

MadeInYorkshire Sun 11-Oct-20 09:56:31

Ahh JuliaM my Dad used that one (Gone for a Burton) on occasion so that's very interesting as to its' origins, thank you! Although, he always used it in the context of it was something that was broken or finished?

henetha Sun 11-Oct-20 10:08:58

My grandmother always said it was getting 'dimpsey' as twilight approached. And all girls were referred to as 'maids'.
Proper Devonshire...

Spangler Sun 11-Oct-20 10:24:27

My father often used the term: "Tripehound," to describe someone who was objectionable, I later learned that it was also a journalist whose copy was often more fiction than fact.

I actually heard the character, Fred Thursday, use it during one of the Endeavour programs.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 11-Oct-20 11:34:29

Oh yes tripehound he used that too but it generally meant a mongrel of no fixed breed in our house?

Alexa Sun 11-Oct-20 11:38:08

I thought everyone said ch ch ch to cats.
I still have to remove oose from under my bed.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 11:55:43

Merlotgran- im from yorkshire- and ive never heard of that expression meaning youre proud of the baby- rather that you are exactly that- being fussy over it and fussing too much! I think maybe she told you that just to make you less miffed! (Miffed, another good yorkshire word!) And yes calistemon& others " the foot of our stairs" is one i remember well from my childhood plus a few others on here that my grandma & my mam said that i often find myself repeating now!i now live lancashire and they say tea is a 'brew' but in yorkshire its a 'cuppa' or 'mashing the tea' for making it.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:05:45

A coggie depends where you are/from- a small drinking cup or bowl in scotland- or from liverpool a lump on the head, like an egg.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:07:22

Alexa. My mam used to say ch ch ch to call cats too.i grew up thinking everyone does.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:13:40

And gone for a burton was indeed meaning it was broken or no good.hence we'd say 'thats gone for a burton' for an idea that hadnt worked out also, or a cake that had ruined or a plan that hadnt worked out for examples.(which now i come to see could be derived from 'gone to s**t!' From explanation about the burtons brewery!)?

MamaCaz Sun 11-Oct-20 12:36:19

OH uses the word 'croggie' meaning to give someone a ride on the crossbar of a bike, which apparently he and his pals did frequently as children.
He also calls sparrows 'spuggies'.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 12:44:57

We always called alleys (between houses) ginnels- but when i moved to lancashire& neighbours spoke of gullys id no idea what they meant.equally in the chip shops (fish shop i call it) they had no idea what a teacake was- as they call them barms or barmcakes.And their version of a 'fishcake' isnt same as yorkshires.its bloody annoying?Some words they claim are 'Lanky' words are taken from our yorky words though ive noticed.(probably through folk who have moved here, like me?)

MadeInYorkshire Sun 11-Oct-20 14:10:34

MamaCaz

OH uses the word 'croggie' meaning to give someone a ride on the crossbar of a bike, which apparently he and his pals did frequently as children.
He also calls sparrows 'spuggies'.

Yes that is what 'coggie' was meant in Yorkshire! Not heard of the other ones Nannan2?