Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(87 Posts)
12Michael Thu 08-Oct-20 06:14:35

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and its wet here in Brackley this morning .
My usual escape on the buses this morning going via Buckingham to Bicester then return direct .
A favourite cafe in Bicester for a coffee and a snack , small shop tending to look up gift cards for Xmas presents .
Take Care ,
Mick

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 20:19:14

Oh he’s 8y Scentia so a big difference. His 3y old sister won’t be going through the procedure. No way said her mummy.
?

Scentia Thu 08-Oct-20 20:04:35

Urms
I had to do my DGS test in the car and they said as he was so young to just do both nostrils. I did the test he cried and shouted until his mummy said yay, well done and he started clapping himself. It was all rather amusing. He is 17 months old, not sure how old yours is.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 19:40:17

Thank you Ashcombe and GG13. Apparently our grandson had his Covid test delivered this afternoon after being ordered on line (no one could leave the house for a drive through). Mummy took the swab.

Not easy, it has to be 15 seconds of swabbing - pulling out for a gag reflex then going in again. No touching of the sides of the mouth or the tongue. A courier collected the sample at 5pm. A very organised service in my opinion. Result tomorrow. Be very surprised if he doesn’t have it.

Ashcombe Thu 08-Oct-20 19:02:55

What a relief for you all, Urmstongran! So pleased to hear your positive update.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-20 15:58:58

That’s a relief Urmstongran I will raise a glass to you at wine o’clock (6pm in our house) ????‍♀️

JGran Thu 08-Oct-20 15:25:51

Good morning all from a cloudy 22 C here in Southern California. I hope that this Covid 19 will soon be under control so that I can get to the other side of the pond and explore my roots in the UK. Ugh! So tired of this lock down. Have a wonderful and safe day everyone.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 15:05:27

Too well LauraNorder I’ll have to be careful.
I always drink more when I’m happy...
?????????
‘Steady girl’!

LauraNorder Thu 08-Oct-20 15:02:43

I’m so glad for you all Urm a great relief I’m sure. Hope the cava is going down well

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 15:02:05

Oh thank you cornergran you have been so kind and supportive to me through this anxiety.
Here’s a few of my own this afternoon ????

cornergran Thu 08-Oct-20 15:00:25

What a relief urmston. No cava here but a huge smile to help you celebrate the better news.

Urmstongran Thu 08-Oct-20 14:21:24

LauraNorder

Just popping back to see if you've had a call yet Urm, hope the little warrior is feeling better today.

Oh yes - thank you for asking.

Grandson came on the phone a couple of hours ago. He sounded SO much better. I told him he sounded ‘bright eyed and bushy tailed’ and he laughed ‘you make me sound like a squirrel grandma’.

I’m so much more relaxed now. Daughter says Day 8 for them and she feels they’ve turned a corner. Great news to hear.

I totally agree that a mum is only ever as happy as her unhappiest child.

We’re sat in the lovely gardens, under a palm tree and I’ve just been handed a glass of cava to celebrate. I’m so much happier this afternoon.

? Salud!

CherryCezzy Thu 08-Oct-20 13:06:07

Not weekend! Weeble ?

CherryCezzy Thu 08-Oct-20 13:05:13

gillgran glad to be of service ?. You can't keep a good weekend down ?

Sending by best wishes to you for tomorrow Annsixty. You've waited far too long for this .... half marathon before long ? ?

Kalu Thu 08-Oct-20 12:25:13

Fingers firmly crossed Annsixty ?goodness knows you have waited in such pain long enough for this op. ????

gillgran Thu 08-Oct-20 12:18:21

A warm "Hello", (too late for "Good Morning), to you all from a very wet Cambs.,

CherryCezzy, (&*Grandmafrench*), Thank you, you made me smile. I think a lot of us feel like the "Weebles" during this tough time. As long as we keep coming up again, we'll be OK..!!

Sorry you've sad news of your friend dragonfly

EllanVannin, I think "Rufus" got the golf-term right, but we all know that, in health/feelings "under par" means not so good, as you said. hope you pick up & feel more cheerful soon.

Very best wishes Annsixty for your op., we are all wishing you well.

Marydoll, thank you for keeping us in touch with our absent friends, give them, (& yourself), our regards.

Take Care Folks flowers

EllanVannin Thu 08-Oct-20 12:16:05

Aw Rufus, you're so accommodating towards a moaning old bat grin though you might be sorry you suggested we " talk " !
You'll now be in the land of nod with your clock going forward, so hope you have a good night.

The weather doesn't know what to do at the moment but I guess rain isn't far on the horizon, though it's not cold as I've got the patio door open.

Looking at the 747 news again reminds me of happy times and even happier when I can say that I was invited into the cockpit in flight ( 1982 ) going over the Middle East towards India, taking in all the controls and listening to voices from other aircraft. What a memory. It wouldn't happen now !
It was a Singapore 747 with a delightful crew.

The pilot/officer at the time used to be a fighter pilot, he was from Singapore and on his way home for a break.

I haven't looked at the Aussie Daily Mail yet so don't know what your weather's like or how the virus is doing. You'll have probably seen our news about the dreaded lurgy spreading like wildfire. They don't want to go in lockdown over the water in Liverpool because of the hit it will have on the economy so I'm not sure what they propose doing.

Anyway, I shouldn't grouse about my life as I'm luckier than most in this age bracket in that I'm still capable of many things and also mobile so I'll tell myself to shut up.

Stay safe and well you never know, you might get to give Freda an airing before the summer's out. x

annsixty Thu 08-Oct-20 11:55:19

Good morning all.
Thank you all for your good wishes, I will be packing my case shortly and praying that I don’t get a call today which means my COVID test was ok.
As I have hardly been out since March and only to the hospital twice in the last two weeks it would be so ironic if it were positive.
I expect to be a new woman ( the old one is pretty worn out) by this time next month and will match you all walk for walk and house job for house job.

Annapops Thu 08-Oct-20 11:52:59

Good morning from Durham, where after a rather wet night the sun is shining.

After a run later I will join an online dance class for a little more exercise and fun. Thursday's have normally been our NT or EH days out but not today. We're holding out for a trip to Melrose next week. A cottage has been booked for a while now and we intend to go on a couple of long walks. However, after hearing in the news about possible further restrictions in the NE, we may not be allowed to travel. Feel rather ? but at the same time the virus is spreading like wildfire up here and something else needs to be done to help bring it under control.

Take care everyone, I know there are quite a number of people suffering so much at the moment. I too am missing those regular posters. I do hope their troubles are resolved soon.

GrannyOwl5 Thu 08-Oct-20 11:41:22

Good morning everyone from a dull, breezy but mild north Kent.
Nothing much planned today; I have an "empty" as DH is playing golf, so will start another watercolour project. Will also have a rummage through my wardrobe as we are going out to meet friends tomorrow for a pub lunch and will have to find something suitable to wear rather than the usual casual clothes. Feeling a bit apprehensive as it is the first time since March that we are going out for a meal, but the pub has all the appropriate precautions in place, so should be fine.
Scentia congratulations on the news from your DD; we have had similar experiences in the family and well remember the sorrow and joy.
Best wishes to Annsixty for tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe

Kalu Thu 08-Oct-20 11:39:12

Good morning all from a now sunny Glasgow. I am in at the coo’s tail due to a disturbed night and weird dreams, one of which I was on the black stallion in a current advert, galloping through woods and being pelted with various objects. Goodness knows why I deserved such treatment!

A lovely surprise garden visit yesterday from DD1 and GD2 who was off school yesterday enjoying a day with Mummy and suggested, let’s go to Granny’s. We managed an hour together before a rain shower ended the visit.

Two weeks of a tighter lockdown is not a lot to ask from NS and I hope people follow our very clear guidelines and think of others. ?

I am delighted to hear your op is imminent now Annsixty and I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery back to a pain free life. ?

Enjoy your day everyone and as always, kindest thoughts for our friends who are suffering with worries or illness.

Rufus2 Thu 08-Oct-20 11:38:22

Also anyone else who's a bit below par
Ellan I don't play golf, but I understand playing below par is good, so there's something to cheer about! grin
If it helps, you are welcome to "talk" to me about anything, even Merseyside weather; can't be worse than Melbourne's right now, but not at 3.00am, please!
Goosd HealtOoRoo

LauraNorder Thu 08-Oct-20 11:37:24

Just popping back to see if you've had a call yet Urm, hope the little warrior is feeling better today.

CherryCezzy Thu 08-Oct-20 11:34:02

Good morning everyone. It's a pleasant day here in the Gower.

I'm having my hair cut this afternoon and it can't come soon enough as I'm starting to look like a shaggy dog again ?

Thanks Susan I'm feeling much better ?. Conserve some energy to enjoy being with your gorgeous grandchildren ?

I didn't return yesterday to say I remember weebles Grandmafrench but I do remember them very well as my niece1 loved them. Do you know the song with these lyrics "I get knocked down, I get up again, you are never gonna keep me down". That's me ?

I read about that burst pipe Nortsat and wondered if you'd been affected. I'm glad it's sorted now.

My niece2 miscarried Scentia but went on to have a very robust little boy. Lovely news for your DD and SilL, I'm sure she will have a healthy bouncing baby ?

Sending you my warmest condolences dragonfly ?

Best of wishes to those of you, or your loved ones, having hospital appointments today.

Take care if you are out and about today. Find a laugh or a smile along the way ❤️

Mapleleaf Thu 08-Oct-20 11:30:51

A late good morning to you all.

I've been up and about since 8 but this is my Pilates day, so by the time I've got ready for that then got showered again afterwards, time marches on. (Luckily I can still use the shower, but it's the pump which operates the pressure that's faulty which is why it has to be replaced). So, I've only skimmed through the posts, but sorry to read of your sad news, Dragonfly, ?.

Scentia that is good news for your DD and SiL. I hope all goes well.

I didn't realise Annsixty was having an op tomorrow so hope all goes well for that, too.

Thinking of all our regular posters who haven't been able to post in recent months/weeks and I hope they are feeling a little stronger today. ?

Stilllearning Thu 08-Oct-20 11:14:35

Another late good morning from a lovely bright S Lanarkshire, I seem to be perpetually hurrying these days but just want to say how nice to hear your news Scentia, I was in your DD’s situation once and remember both the grief and the joy, best wishes to you both. Condolences to you dragonfly on the loss of your friend, so very hard.