Gransnet forums

Chat

Sore arm after flu jab

(142 Posts)
Doodledog Fri 09-Oct-20 23:08:31

I had a flu jab yesterday, and my arm is really painful. I couldn’t sleep last night, as every time I so much as touched it with the duvet it hurt. Today it is achey and tender, and I get occasional stabbing pains in the injection site.

Is this normal? The nurse did say that it might be a bit sore for a couple of hours, but this is more like 36 hours later and it is painful, rather than sore.

Nannan2 Sun 11-Oct-20 13:10:57

DiggingDoris- if youve a good nurse or pharmacist or dr to do it they tell you it makes it worse to rub it and yes causes it to bruise! And like my pharmacist, explained the extra reason for why mine personally may affect me like that due to warfarin im on.

Saggi Sun 11-Oct-20 13:49:09

Yes....a sore arm is the norm... goes away in 2/3 days usually. Well worth it though.

Flakesdayout Sun 11-Oct-20 14:24:48

Ive had one in the past with no problem just a sore arm for a day or so and now I am on immunosuppressants can't have it this year or last year. I was quite miffed. My son had a very sore arm with his and a sore throat for a couple of days. I think everyone seems to react differently. Hope you feel better soon Doodledog.

LynneH Sun 11-Oct-20 14:56:07

It’s not unusual. Try taking a painkiller, which should help reduce inflammation, and therefore the pain

ania123 Sun 11-Oct-20 15:15:27

Short term pain for long term gain.

Ellet Sun 11-Oct-20 15:17:40

It is normal for any injection site to be a bit tender for a few days but if you relax the arm before the needle goes in it is often less painful.
My husband has had flu four times, the first when only in his 20’s. It is horrendous. In bed for over a week, too weak to eat, he said that even his eyeballs ached. It took a good month for him to recover fully. A few days of mild discomfort far outweighs the effects of full blown flu.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 11-Oct-20 16:18:46

My arm hurt for nearly a week and did at first make sleeping a bit uncomfortable, yet Mr Barmey sailed through his with no side effects. I think we are all different.

Madmother21 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:56:08

Thank you SR69

Paperbackwriter Sun 11-Oct-20 17:38:43

BlueBelle

I Ve never have any reaction at all in 7 years
I had mine last Saturday and never even felt the needle go in
I didn’t have any reactions to the shingles or pneumonia jabs either when I had them a few years back

You can’t get flu from the injection as it s not a live vaccine I wonder what component it is that some people are so sensitive to ? That’s the interesting question that no one ever seems to ask

I was the same - not the slightest reaction to the shot. I put it down the our pharmacist being hugely skilled. I always used to get cross with people who say they feel like they've got flu after as I know it's not a live vaccine. BUT.. this year my husband got a massive fever about 18 hours after his flu vaccination. He had a slightly different version of it from mine. I wonder if it was a bit of an overload? The fever only lasted about 8 hours - long enough for me to wonder if he'd got Covid, though he'd been careful and the pharmacist had come to our house to do the shot as OH had just had a knee replacement op - and then vanished and he was fine again.

Doodledog Sun 11-Oct-20 17:42:41

The nurse who did mine warned me that there could be side effects, so they are well known.

She also asked if I had an allergy to either eggs or latex, so maybe a component of one of those is the culprit.

Washerwoman Sun 11-Oct-20 18:10:50

This is interesting because this year two weeks on from my flu jab I ended up calling 111 as kept getting intermittent shoulder and left arm pain.Quite severe at times.Then the other day as well as arm pain felt the lower part of my face was numb and tingling.I ended up at A&E on the advice of my GP and a scan and ECG were done to rule out a heart problem or ischaemic event.I am pretty fit for my age and very low risk for both.Fortunately both were normal and I was sent home with aspirin as a precaution.It has only just occurred to me it could be related to the flu jab ,and I wonder if it's been nerve pain ?It does seem to be settling.Still glad I had the jab,but each year my arm feels a bit sore but thus has been something else.

BusterTank Sun 11-Oct-20 18:11:50

They say if it swells and hurt , then it's working .

Tweedle24 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:24:18

Well said, ania123.

Real flu, as opposed to a heavy cold, is horrendous. It used to be said that, if there is a £20 note outside in the garden, if you can go and pick it up, you don’t have flu. (I expect, due to inflation, it should be a £50 or £100 note these days). I would rather have most of the side effects mentioned than a dose I’d flu.

GrammarGrandma Sun 11-Oct-20 21:13:36

I am really puzzled by "pneumonia" in the arm!

lincolnimp Sun 11-Oct-20 21:41:41

I had both flu and pneumonia jabs 4 werks ago, absolutely no after effects at all, despite the nurse telling me I might have soreness ftom the pneumonia one

Doodledog Sun 11-Oct-20 21:57:51

I don't think anyone is denying that flu is horrible, or suggesting that any after-effects of the jab are reason enough not to get it, are they?

sazz1 Sun 11-Oct-20 23:39:17

Had flu jab for years now never had a problem with it except 2nd year and last year.
Last year I had a temperature 24hrs after and felt ill. Went to bed and got up next day absolutely fine. Persuaded my DD to have it and definitely didn't tell her it had made me ill or she wouldn't have had it done. Exactly 24 hours after she rang me saying she felt really ill, temperature etc. She went to bed and woke up next day absolutely fine. Can't just be coincidence can it.
This year my sister ended up in hospital with breathing problems which she thinks was the flu jab. She has multiple health problems anyway. Tested negative for Covid and ok now.
But I'm worried and don't think I will have it done.

Hetty58 Mon 12-Oct-20 02:06:32

sazz1, I've never had the 'flu jab as I have severe allergies and bad reactions to almost everything. I've only ever had 'flu twice.

It seems to me that, this year, being ultra careful to avoid any contact with people, my chances of catching 'flu should be very much diminished anyway.

My nurse friend predicts a very low number of flu-related deaths (as so many of the weak and vulnerable have been taken by Coronavirus).

Rose30 Mon 12-Oct-20 09:55:35

Just read on the NHS website that the vaccine for the over 65s contains an extra ingredient to make the body's immune system react more strongly. Presumably we all get the same dose - 9 stone or 19 stone and that's why some of us are still feeling it days after the event?

Carmo1 Mon 12-Oct-20 11:33:37

I had flu jab in one arm and pneumonia jab in the other was expecting the worst but luckily no after effect whatsoever

Fennel Mon 12-Oct-20 11:35:02

Like Noreen on the previous page, I've never had a flu injection but I'm booked to have it this year. I've had flu a few times, very badly in 1957 and 1995. Now aged 84.
After reading all this I'm beginning to think of cancelling the appt.
What I would like to know from those who have always had the injection, did it prevent you from getting 'flu?

Mamie Mon 12-Oct-20 12:19:00

I have had the flu injection for over fifteen years, never had 'flu and only the most minor of reactions a couple of times. I don't rub my arm but make sure that I exercise it regularly with arm circles etc, for a couple of days.
My view is that it is important to have it not only for my own health, but also to help prevent the spread amongst others.

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:53:27

We had the flu jab for over 65s on Saturday morning, absolutely no after effects at all, for either of us.

Fennel Mon 12-Oct-20 16:56:35

Thanks to both of you.
Mamie - as you know we lived in France , like you, for many years. When we were there, way out in the country, we never had flu, or even a cold all 17 years. On returning here we've had a few symptoms the last 2 winters.
Seems like Covid, we need to avoid social mixing.
After talking to a few friends here I've decided to go ahead with the injection. Fingers crossed.

Mamie Mon 12-Oct-20 18:48:38

I have never stopped teaching Fennel. Always plenty of germs. ? (Though this year I am on Zoom).