Gransnet forums

Chat

The lengths dh will go to! (Not a moan)

(21 Posts)
DanniRae Sat 17-Oct-20 15:08:01

What a touching story Aldom - made me feel a bit emotional (but have to say that that is not difficult).......!!

Aldom Sun 11-Oct-20 20:16:18

I forgot to say.... The parents brought their little boy and his much loved toy dog to see me and to say thank you.

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-20 19:36:33

How lovely, Aldom!

Jane10 Sun 11-Oct-20 18:49:46

Lovely to hear about that rescued toy!

Nortsat Sun 11-Oct-20 18:28:58

What nice stories and a lovely thread ... I enjoyed reading these Witzend.
Nice to hear positive things about partners/family members. ?

Aldom Sun 11-Oct-20 17:16:55

Near my home there is a brook. A few years ago I was walking along the bank when I saw a child's toy dog floating by. I had to lie flat and using a stick was able to rescue the toy. After washing and drying the dog I put it in the window of the Charity shop where I volunteered, with a note of my telephone number. Many weeks passed until one Sunday evening I had a phone call from a very emotional dad. His little boy had cried every night for his toy dog, which had fallen into the brook from the bridge as they played Poo Sticks. Dad was overjoyed when I handed over the toy.

AGAA4 Sun 11-Oct-20 16:52:36

When my daughter was about 4 she set her heart on a Paddington Bear for Christmas. All the shops had sold out and I was wondering how to tell her there would be no Paddington. I mentioned it to my dad who lived in a different city and he spent many lunchtimes searching the shops there.
Unsuccessful he started trying little corner shops and eventually found just one Paddington in a tiny sweet shop.
Result - one happy little girl.

BBbevan Sun 11-Oct-20 16:39:09

Just the sort of Grandad everyone wants. Well done

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-20 15:29:01

I’ve just remembered something similar that happened when I was no more than 9 or 10. At the time I had a small aquarium with a couple of goldfish and one of those bewhiskered sucker fish that eat the algae off the sides of the tank.

When we went on holiday one year, some older neighbours looked after my fish. Unbeknown to me until many years later, the sucker fish died and these truly lovely neighbours had trawled every pet shop for miles, to find a similar fish.
I never noticed the difference.

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-20 14:51:21

Aah, how lovely, Jane!

Jane10 Sun 11-Oct-20 11:43:05

My DS's absolute favourite toy from a vast array was a tiny little otter that he got in a Kinder Egg. He was devoted to it and devasted when it was lost. We all searched high and low for it and he was very very sad about it.
However, my SiL, his Dad, found one on Ebay and sent for it. It had to come from Italy and cost a bit for this little scrap of plastic. DGS was overjoyed to 'find' it in a place we'd looked 100 times! He never suspected it wasn't the original otter. Phew. Happiness restored.

Squiffy Sun 11-Oct-20 11:19:56

Lovely story. I wonder if your Gdcs will cotton on when older!

ElaineI Sun 11-Oct-20 09:42:03

That is so sweet. Nice that he looked on eBay. I don't think my DH would know how to do that.

DanniRae Sun 11-Oct-20 09:37:33

Such a lovely story - cheered me up. Thank you!

Jaxjacky Sun 11-Oct-20 09:24:53

Very thoughtful..

OceanMama Sun 11-Oct-20 09:23:52

That's really sweet :-) What a lovely grandfather.

Marydoll Sun 11-Oct-20 08:54:48

What a sweet story! I could see my DH doing something like that. Grandchildren bring out the best in us. ?

dragonfly46 Sun 11-Oct-20 08:51:58

Brilliant!

kittylester Sun 11-Oct-20 08:50:00

How lovely.

That's what granddads do, isn't it!!

jusnoneed Sun 11-Oct-20 08:48:10

What a lovely Grandad.
That's determination for you.

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-20 08:42:08

Some years ago a friend gave us a furry singing ‘dancing’ toy dog, thinking Gdcs might like it. He’d originally bought it for his own dogs but one of them had just wanted to kill it. ?

Roll on a very few years and our little Gds has adored that dog ever since he was tiny - he makes a beeline for it every time he’s here.
On his last but one visit, the dog was no longer working - just making weird noises. Dh replaced batteries and tried to fix it, unsurprisingly, no joy.

We trawled amazon etc. for a new replacement, no joy - nothing at all the same. Unbeknown to me, dh then trawled eBay and lo, he found an identical 2nd hand dog, it was just the collar and the song that were different. (Rather cleaner, too!)

So we told Gds (here yesterday) that since Grandpa couldn’t fix him, he’d gone to the toy hospital (Gdcs know that a teddy of mine had to go to the teddy hospital after our dog chewed half his face off when she was a pup) where they didn’t have the same song to put in him any more, but they’d cleaned him up and put a nice new collar on.
Gds was very happy, but TBH I don’t think he’d even noticed the minor differences!