Gransnet forums

Chat

Helpful tips

(82 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 13-Oct-20 09:37:18

What small, relatively minor change have you made recently which has made your life smoother?

For me it is taking a picture of post office receipts as I am always losing them. I do a lot of internet shopping and if I need to chase up a return they always want proof of posting. I write what the item was on it of course.

Anyone else?

Saggi Tue 13-Oct-20 12:08:28

Threw ironing board away ( on the advice of daughter)... and ready meals!! Too many books to read for such nonesense anymore!!

BlueSky Tue 13-Oct-20 12:13:17

Definitely grocery shopping delivery and general internet shopping. No more running around stores looking for items, everything you need delivered promptly!

sandelf Tue 13-Oct-20 12:15:05

During the 'first' lockdown - realised I had never liked wearing earrings. Stopped. Saves me a couple of minutes every morning and evening. Never have to sit with ill people in a cafe any more. Not been ill since 'it' started. - maybe people will realise carrying on as normal when you are ill is stupid not heroic.

Maoiliosa Tue 13-Oct-20 12:17:30

Online supermarket shopping. I go to the supermarket once a month...to have a look at new products, temptations etc...and then order online the other 3 weeks. Brilliant!

Maoiliosa Tue 13-Oct-20 12:19:09

Oh also...... I stopped using deodorant during lockdown. It took a few weeks to ‘adjust’, but it’s wonderful removing another chemical from my body !

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:22:28

I took a photo of my hearing aids so that when I have to pull the 'pipe' out of the earpiece to clean it I can reassemble them without too much aggro. It can be difficult to tell exactly which bit fits where as using the 'mirror image' by comparing them was confusing. I do them one at a time and still slightly dread it but not as much.

When I go out I put my house key in my LEFT pocket as I have LEFT the house and the car key in my RIGHT pocket as I have the RIGHT to drive. If they go in a bag I use the same system with the front of the bag facing me.

ss1024 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:24:21

Not doing my hair every morning and not having my hair colored every 3 weeks. I just let it grow out and found that I have developed a nice wave and natural hair is quite soft and shiny.

Ohmother Tue 13-Oct-20 12:26:20

I bought a Mud Daddy for bathing the dogs. No need to wait for a really stinky dog now to pay out; I just wait for a sunny day. ?

Grandmabeach Tue 13-Oct-20 12:28:20

Lilyflower

My Dyson cordless has radically improved my life by giving me more time. It used to take an hour with the old, heavy corded Dyson to vacuum my house.

I saved up John Lewis vouchers given for birthdays and Christmas to spend half a grand on the cordless. It now takes twenty minutes without messing about with cords and plugs, lugging a big heavy beast around furniture and moving things to vacuum behind them.

Or...

I do downstairs and the DH does upstairs with the old Dyson.

That way it takes me ten minutes. Win!

I was about to say the same. I loved my old corded Dyson but had to admit it was beginning to feel heavy. DH hated it and managed to break it (swears it was not deliberate) so bought me the Dyson cordless. So much quicker when I don't have to mess about with plugs and leads.

Ingrid45 Tue 13-Oct-20 12:46:12

I had frozen onions substituted for real ones. no more chopping and weeping for me!

handbaghoarder Tue 13-Oct-20 12:53:31

Online shopping and Supermarket deliveries. Anything and everything to do with my iphone. Just love it and all its fab functions. Love vac-bags so i can store out of season clothes, quilts etc in a fraction of the space. And after a lifetime of rummaging around in drawers for matching bedding i now put each complete set into one of the matching pillowcases before i put it away. Eureka ! Talk about the blindingly obvious!! But its made life so much easier. And tidier. Ooh. And now Ive recently retired I dont wear make up or perfume every day. Never thought that day would ever come. Even go to the local shop now without putting mascara and lippy on. Scary sight but so liberating smile.

Jane43 Tue 13-Oct-20 13:03:56

Letting my hair return to its natural colour after having it tinted for 30 years thus reducing my time spent in the hairdresser to about 30 minutes every four weeks. My Bissell Crosswave floor cleaner which vacuums, cleans and dries the tiled floor in our kitchen and hall and the laminate floor in our dining room. I am also a fan of ziplock plastic bags, they have them in larger Aldi stores and also of frozen onions.

Newatthis Tue 13-Oct-20 13:16:09

Not eating red meats- happy, happy tummy and no constipation!

narrowboatnan Tue 13-Oct-20 13:19:34

Buying ‘coal’ for our multi fuel burner in 10kg bags. DH and I both struggled with the usual 25kg bags. Also finding a coal merchant who delivers so we no longer have to ruin the car springs fetching them.

ChrisK Tue 13-Oct-20 13:22:41

Purchasing a g tech cordless vacuum, and employing a lovely lady called Shirley to help with my cleaning has transformed my life as I have chronic back problems and advanced painful osteoarthritis, great help and can now fet on with my life!

ChrisK Tue 13-Oct-20 13:23:11

Meant to say get

Sallywally1 Tue 13-Oct-20 13:25:00

Sorry, me again. Ready chopped onions!

Warmthlover Tue 13-Oct-20 13:31:07

My partner created a shopping list on my Notes on my phone. I asked him to order it so it reflected my journey around the supermarket I usually use. I mark the items I need before I go and remove the tick as I find them. By the end of my much faster trip around the shelves, I can do a quick check of the list to see there aren't any remaining ticks. And I haven't bought anything on impulse! (Well, hardly anything....)

Daisymae Tue 13-Oct-20 13:42:03

Keeping a list of online orders and crossing them off as they arrive. Saves a lot of time searching.wink

BelindaB Tue 13-Oct-20 13:51:47

You are going to think I am crazy....I have a spreadsheet of all my books because although I borrow several a week from the library, I also buy books. I had so many of the "oh that looks good!" only to find that I'd already got it that I started the spreadsheet in desperation.

I also keep the books I love as I read them more than once. What was the dining room became a library several years ago as the books threatened to take over the house!

My currant favourite gizmo is a tray that goes in the microwave but does not become hot, so that I can get reheated food out without burning myself. Heaven!

Sheilasue Tue 13-Oct-20 14:07:38

Grocery on line shopping and clothes shopping on line.
Trouble is I have grocery shopped on line for a few years but now it’s harder to get a slot because everyone is doing it because of covid 19.

Purpledaffodil Tue 13-Oct-20 14:11:27

Again using the Notes app on my iPhone, I made a list of reminders for this Christmas last Christmas. So For example I remember to avoid poinsettias and make bread sauce to freeze a la Mary Berry . I make a similar list for next summer’s garden planting in advance! ?

Jane43 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:17:30

BelindaB

You are going to think I am crazy....I have a spreadsheet of all my books because although I borrow several a week from the library, I also buy books. I had so many of the "oh that looks good!" only to find that I'd already got it that I started the spreadsheet in desperation.

I also keep the books I love as I read them more than once. What was the dining room became a library several years ago as the books threatened to take over the house!

My currant favourite gizmo is a tray that goes in the microwave but does not become hot, so that I can get reheated food out without burning myself. Heaven!

No you’re not crazy BelindaB. My DH also has a spreadsheet of the books he’s read and he also gives them a mini review and rating out of 10. He decided to do this a while ago when he found he was buying books he’d already read.

Jane43 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:19:12

yogagran

For those of you who keep notes of what books you have read have a look at an app called Goodreads. You can enter books you have read with a star rating system, sort by author or date read and, if you use a Kindle, it will also enter books you have bought through Amazon automatically

Thank you I will tell my DH about this app.

Jill0753 Tue 13-Oct-20 14:25:44

I have a spreadsheet of books read too. I’ve been using it for years so it is very long now but it is so useful. I also use a To Read app to keep track of books that I would like to read. I was a librarian.....