Gransnet forums

Chat

Feel like an old fogey.

(57 Posts)
felice Tue 13-Oct-20 10:46:31

I am a member of a Ladies group here which has over 2000 members.
Over the last few months I and others have had to point out to people the rules regarding Covid here.
One young woman wanted to go to the coast for the day and invited 3 others to join her, myself and another Woman pointed out that that is impossible and quite foolhardy.
Yesterday a Woman posted that she wanted to go Trick or Treating with her 8 year old son, she had flour and water bombs ready and does anyone want to join her!!!
I told her it is not tradition here, and at the moment definately a big no no.
Also that throwing stuff at people in a Country which has had serious terrorist attacks could get her arrested.
She says if she get a small fine for causing disruption that is not a problem to her. What a great example to her Son.
Others have also pointed out that she cannot go round ringing peoples doors just now, anyway the Belgians are not into that.
Schools are having class parties, and possibly families too.
Now I feel like the Grinch 'old Lady spoiling the Childrens fun'.
This lady has been here 1 year me 25.
Am I wrong in saying anything or should I just have let her get arrested??????

felice Wed 14-Oct-20 11:22:31

Thanks folks, I went to a co-working meet up in a local Hotel this morning with some of the Ladies, it was great and very safe. I am learning how to do online conferences etc and they have been a great help.
Alexa it is a private FB group.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 14-Oct-20 11:04:59

You 'certainly don't need to feel like the Grinch.

You have tried to make this woman understand that the American way of celebrating Halloween is unknown in Belgium, as it is in all other European countries.

You have also pointed out that the restrictions regarding Covid19 actually prevent her going out in this manner.

She has chosen not to listen, so I hope someone does report her to the authorities for harrassing them and endangering their health!

Beanie654321 Wed 14-Oct-20 10:59:37

I am absolutely fed up of people flouting the rules. I worked for 40 years as qualified nurse and I get daily messages from present friends that are still working as they are TERRIFIED to go into work to nurse patients with the virus. They are physically and mentally in the pits at the moment and then you get idiots that think they no better who end up expecting these hard working and courageous people to care for them. They are not asking for much just ease dont go out unless it is necessary and stupid ideas like this are not necessary. Im unable to return due to health problems, but am made to feel guilty for not. I have also lost family and friends to this virus and im sure at this rate I will loose more. This woman is disrespectful to others and self centred. Im sorry for rant, but I really don't want to loose any one else and I miss my grandchildren so much.

jaylucy Wed 14-Oct-20 10:51:53

If the lady with the Hallowe'en has only been in the country for a year, she may be in blissful ignorance that it isn't celebrated where you are.
I must say, I am surprised if it isn't as in neighbouring Netherlands it is quite a big thing and in fact my friend's daughter has made a business out of it !
In the UK, the general move is towards going on a pumpkin walk , with either sweets left outside the house for help yourself or the parents with the children giving them sweets when they spot a pumpkin!
Flour bombs etc are frowned upon and seen as an assault!
Suggest that you just make sure that you stick to the rules and let others get on with it ! After all, you can't always fix stupid!

Kamiso Wed 14-Oct-20 10:43:56

In the 80s two local boys decided to go trick or treating. Our living room was on the first floor and OH called down that there was no one in. They said “OK” and walked off.

Our neighbour, who fell out with anyone and everyone, shouted abuse at them and they threw raw eggs at her car. It caused a really sticky mess and was a nightmare to clean. The local beat bobby had words with them and it didn’t happen again.

CleoPanda Wed 14-Oct-20 10:42:08

@craftcat - surely you aren’t suggesting those activities for this year? I felt I’d strayed into an alternate universe where Covid-19 hadn’t materialised!

mokryna Wed 14-Oct-20 10:40:20

The reason Belgium’s numbers are high is because of the way they include everyone who died in a nursing home without testing.

sandelf Wed 14-Oct-20 10:39:06

felice I am in UK and there's been chat on our town FB groups. The feeling is that this year IF you decide to take your children on a Halloween walk, it should be just a 'Spot the Pumpkin' - and you (parent) award some little thing for each one. People just will not be answering the door for unexpected callers. I think that's a good compromise. - Or what 'my old mum' did - make toffee apples and do a bit of apple bobbing.

4allweknow Wed 14-Oct-20 10:26:27

Craftycat With your Scottish roots roots will know that what is done nowadays for Halloween is considered to be almost begging. Sweets were never given to children, it was money. Trick or treating, never heard of, it was Guising. Children did dress up but had to do a little "turn" eg recite a poem, sign a song, play an instrument, little magic trick. They had to earn their reward. This is one tradition Scots seem reluctant to maintain or resurrect. Too easy for kids to just stick out their hand for a sweet. Again, the flour bombs are an American habit.

Jillybird Wed 14-Oct-20 10:23:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Craftycat Wed 14-Oct-20 10:10:20

I love Halloween!!
Maybe suggest to this woman that she does as our road does- the children all dress up & so do their parents & they call door to door for sweeties.
It is only a cul de sac so doesn't take long & then they have a small party in the turning circle & if it is dry we all go & join them for a glass of wine while the children share out their spoils.
It is a really fun evening.
Coming from a Scottish family (although have only ever lived in South East) Halloween is a big thing for us.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 14-Oct-20 09:52:48

I hate Halloween anyway and if somebody came to my door with flour and water bombs they'd get the sharp end of my tongue!
Thankfully in my town you don't knock doors at all unless they have a pumpkin on display. With Covid rampaging the whole silly thing should be outlawed with heavy fines on those who break the rules.
Let me guess where this woman comes from?

Yellowmellow Wed 14-Oct-20 09:49:36

Horrible woman to want to cause people distress. Not a good example to her son. I'd be steering well clear if her full stop

Riggie Wed 14-Oct-20 09:47:15

I didn't know that throwing flour and water bombs was a tradition anywhere!! I'd just let her carry on and get herself arrested!!

GreenGran78 Wed 14-Oct-20 09:43:16

If teenagers went ‘trick or treating’ with flour and water bombs I could understand (but not condone) it. The idea of a grown woman taking her children on such a mission is incredible.

Phloembundle Wed 14-Oct-20 09:41:22

It's utterly selfish people like her who are making life miserable for the rest of us. You could dob her in anonymously.

Houndi Wed 14-Oct-20 09:30:55

Tell her to go to Barnard Castle

Alexa Tue 13-Oct-20 18:54:20

Felice, it is certainly an idea that interests me. The Ladies' group, compared with special interest groups, is more how people spontaneously meet each other. I hope your Ladies' group survives despite the covid restrictions. Would you let us know if the ladies use emails, or telephone, or even letters instead?

EllanVannin Tue 13-Oct-20 18:16:34

Lock yourself indoors away from them for the next fortnight.

Fennel Tue 13-Oct-20 17:39:14

Felice interesting that you live in Belgium. I have a friend here (UK) whose daughter lives in Belgium. Sadly widowed (not from covid) a few years ago with 3 young children.
Belgium doesn't seem to have a good record for controlling the virus so I agree with you . I would be shocked too.

felice Tue 13-Oct-20 11:42:10

Unfortunately you don't know who they are until the daft ideas appear, one woman in the middle of the lockdown wanted to start meet ups in each others homes, the hostess cooking a dinner from her own country. Then the guests would host the same the following weeks, she got very annoyed when the moderators pointed out that it was impossible.
It is a good group as we have a lot of people here alone, they don't want to sit in pubs but want to make new friends outside work.
I have made some good friends and had nice days out with DGS with other children, but not just now.

Alexa Tue 13-Oct-20 11:14:03

Felice I take it this "Ladies group" has no rules against idiots joining .

felice Tue 13-Oct-20 11:07:21

Our lockdown is strict just now, so probably not a good idea anyway.
Stay at home, why do some people think they are above the law. Rhetorical question.

felice Tue 13-Oct-20 11:04:35

I do not intend to report her or anything like that, I just wish people would check the cultures of Countries they move to and not assume everyone wants to do the same as they do.
The 1st of November is a public holiday here when families go to place flowers on the graves of relatives, also all the shops are closed too. Well they are on Sundays anyway.
Looking at the recent posts There seems to be a lot of agreement with me, we shall see.

henetha Tue 13-Oct-20 11:03:20

It''s people who ignore the rules who are helping to spread this beastly virus. So I think you did right.