Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you stay here? ITV - The Savoy

(66 Posts)
tidyskatemum Thu 15-Oct-20 21:36:17

I've been watching the ITV programme about the Savoy Hotel and I've been gobsmacked by how it appears to be totally lacking in class. Staff I'd think twice about employing at MacDonalds, including the concierge sitting at his desk and chewing gum, horrendous ill-fitting uniforms, general tackiness and guests who seem to have an awful lot more money than taste. If I had over £500 to spend for a night in a hotel I'm sure I'd be going elsewhere.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 22-Oct-20 14:41:02

I love afternoon tea and my daughter often buys it for my birthday or Christmas. Last Christmas she took me to the Athenaeum opposite Green Park and it was perfect. She has also taken me to the British Museum and the Hilton Hotel near the Tower of London. In the past I have taken my children to Marylebone 118, the Hempel Hotel and Bentley’s, which is round the back of Knightsbridge. This was a few years ago during the last recession!

Witzend Sat 17-Oct-20 15:21:48

Many years ago I used to go to a major annual lunchtime do at the Savoy. One of my memories is of buying a glass of white wine at the pre lunch bar for a fiver - a lot for a glass of wine then - and taking it back for a replacement because it was truly undrinkable.
One year a group of us went on to the American Bar, instead of the usual good old Coal Hole next door, but the AB prices were astronomical enough to send us back to the Coal Hole after just one round!

travelsafar Sat 17-Oct-20 09:04:53

I loved it. Anything showing people is facinating to me. I really loved the Head Butler, he made me chuckle. He knew his job and took pride in it too and was brilliant with younger members of staff.

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 08:32:42

I think I must have watched a different programme. I saw an entertaining and quite touching behind the scenes look at how the staff take care of their guests and each other. Some of said guests were a little “interesting”, but were looked after with courtesy and consideration. The chap training the butler asked why his trainee had no confidence not to put him down but so that he could reassure him that he was underrating himself and that he was supporting him.

The last episode was sad, with only a third of the staff returning for the restricted re-opening. I wish them all well.

Ellianne Sat 17-Oct-20 08:28:22

harrigran

Although the rooms were sumptious I thought the staff were a little lacking.
I have stayed in exclusive hotels in the south of France and they are far superior to the Savoy, much nicer atmosphere.

Ooo tell us where harrigan, the south of France is so romantic.
I do think the French are excellent at hospitality. Everyone including the reception staff, waiters, room maids takes a pride in their work. I remember watching the young students come out of hotel school in Dinard every day and they all looked immaculate in their crisp black jackets and pristine white blouses (just to study). My friend's daughter trained to be a sommelier and her knowledge is amazing. All this is reflected in the service you get in French hotels, but I do agree with * Jane10* that London hotels has that extra je ne sais quoi in terms of atmosphere. Maybe it's to do with our royal heritage, or maybe because historically so many actors lived in the capital, or maybe we are more flamboyant anyway?

Jane10 Sat 17-Oct-20 08:14:33

But they don't have the atmosphere, the heritage etc. That's what interests me.
We are seeing the staff being encouraged to relax and play up for the cameras like the vulgar guests. I'm sure they don't usually behave like that when working.

harrigran Fri 16-Oct-20 23:10:26

Although the rooms were sumptious I thought the staff were a little lacking.
I have stayed in exclusive hotels in the south of France and they are far superior to the Savoy, much nicer atmosphere.

Charleygirl5 Fri 16-Oct-20 22:55:49

I have no problem deciding- I doubt if I could afford a pot of coffee there so I doubt if I will be going there any time soon.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 22:27:24

I'm guessing the people with real money and class decline to be filmed by the cameras.

Jane10 Fri 16-Oct-20 22:12:11

No they aren't. It's only the TV programmes that focus on that aspect. Discreet comfort are what it's all about although there are if course vulgar flashy people there as can be found anywhere.

Alexa Fri 16-Oct-20 20:51:26

I had thought posh hotels were comfortable but I see they are about conspicuous consumption.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Oct-20 20:37:25

They obviously haven't stayed at the Anassa in Polis/ Cyprus.
5 star luxury it is.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 20:09:48

Here

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 20:00:03

You read my mind Granarchist.
Ask for a table near the fireplace in winter, it's cosy and has a lovely atmosphere.

Granarchist Fri 16-Oct-20 19:50:30

go to The Goring. Real class.

Ellianne Fri 16-Oct-20 19:46:02

Do you think afternoon teas outside in the parks will cotton on in 2021?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Oct-20 19:45:25

Hi folks I am definitely in wherever you decide ??

Jane10 Fri 16-Oct-20 19:41:47

Great idea. I can't see me coming down to London though. Maybe the Scottish Grans could do a posh afternoon tea up here one day. I think they've already had one. I remember hearing about it. Sounded lovely.

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:32:40

St Ermin’s Hotel is a four star hotel in central London and is offering a full afternoon tea with half a bottle of house champagne for £34 until the end of November. Unfortunately that offer will go, but others will appear in other hotels.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 19:32:30

Oh, put me down for that as well. I’m not particular. smile

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 19:30:45

Premier Inn for us then Welbeck tea and a scone in The Beefeater. grin

welbeck Fri 16-Oct-20 19:21:35

what about a budget version, for us below-stairs types ?
no objection to fancy venues, but moolah is wanting.

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:20:08

That’s three then. Excellent.

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Oct-20 19:10:30

Yes please! smile

maddyone Fri 16-Oct-20 19:00:47

Yes let’s, it would be lovely.