Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Fri 16-Oct-20 06:13:08

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, the paths are wet , but also cold outside .
Today , small shop and then settle down and watch TV later .
Yesterdays trip out , Both Buckingham and Bicester were quiet in the amount of people out, the cafe where I have a coffee and snack in Bicester , the bakery shop it is at the rear of very few customers , maybe in general despite the alert levels people are treating it as a general lockdown.
Take Care ,
Mick

Grandmabatty Fri 16-Oct-20 08:14:11

Good morning All. I think it's dry out but I haven't looked yet. I love autumn and all its glories. Today I'm food shopping as I'm babysitting tomorrow when I normally do it. A bit of ironing too will complete my chores. I'm going to visit dd as she's getting a new front door installed. Marydoll I am so glad others felt the same about the kitchen being despoiled. I was contemplating coming off GN because there's been nastiness recently, mostly emanating from one place. However, I love this thread and hearing little snapshots of lives. I've always been nosy! Have a good day all.

Annapops Fri 16-Oct-20 08:15:00

Good morning once again from Melrose. Today we will be going back home and leaving our lovely cosy cottage behind. We'll visit the Abbey before heading south. It's been a very much needed short break so a big thank you to Nicola for leaving the border open for now.

Yesterday we took a river walk around Peebles. The trees were absolutely stunning. I do believe Autumn hits a little earlier up here as there is still quite a difference between colours at home.

Normally we would go out for an evening meal when on holiday but as restrictions would not allow Hello Fresh accompanied us. I must admit we have enjoyed working together following the recipes with only the occasional drama in the kitchen.

DD rang to say the whole of the Year 4 class in her school are now in isolation plus three members of staff. Durham Uni is averaging 100 positive cases a day with staff also. I get an update on fb of affected schools in our local area which is always worrying but now DD tells me not all schools notify this site and are not included on the list, which makes the situation even more concerning. There is a heavy cost being paid here regarding schools and universities but alas I have no answers.

Stay as safe as you can everyone and I hope something will bring you some joy today.

Pantglas2 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:15:45

Morning all from a dry north Wales where I’ve been up awhile drinking tea and reading your posts.

Lovely nails Urmstongran- wish I could grow mine as long as your ‘before’ pic! Welcome to Dwmxwg - took me three goes to get your name right with darned Autobluddywrongagain!

DH has promised a full Monty later ? - settle down girls, it’ll be brunch not a bootycall!

Will trot out to Llandudno this afternoon while we still can - our leader is contemplating proper lockdown! Wish we could see Friday Girl and all absentees......

Urmstongran Fri 16-Oct-20 08:15:56

Nails are inexpensive Sark
?

Gingster Fri 16-Oct-20 08:18:15

Good morning from a disgruntled Essex. We’ve been put In tier 2, so no households can visit. You’re the lucky one Sar. Only up the road to me. Doesn’t make sense! My calendar is full of cancellations and crossings out.

Today is Book Club day which we’ve been holding In gardens. U3A have now designated us a covid-safe Hall so we are meeting there today before restrictions come in at midnight.

Essex hasn’t even had high cases . ?

Good luck to your son granMattie. You will miss him .

Urmstongran. Youve made a good job of those nails. And I’m another who misses all the intrigue on GN. ?.

sheepandcattle lovely pic of your sheeps colourful bums. I will think of you when I see sheep in the fields. It’s amazing how you know exactly when the lambs will be born. . ???.

Make the most of your day and enjoy your limited outings. ????

Greyduster Fri 16-Oct-20 08:25:02

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It is dark wet and dreary in South Yorkshire today, so plans to sort out the bulb pots are not going to get very far. We called over at DD’s yesterday with a cheese pie I had made for her and a few goodies for them all as a thank you for some recent shopping she wouldn’t let us pay for. We didn’t go in of course, not allowed now, and it was raining so no coffee in the garden either. I hope at some stage we will get a walk with them or this is going to be a nightmare. I hate FaceTime. I’ve no idea when we will see DS and DiL again ‘in the flesh’ either - their city also goes into tier two on Saturday. So, what’s on the cards today? Ironing, baking, and I suppose I had better have another try at getting to grips with the new laptop! Have the best day you can, folks. To all who are struggling with one thing or another, {{}}s from me.

Elizabeth1 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:27:29

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny day here on the east coast of Fife it does feel nippy though must keep nice and warm. Yesterday was a visit to my dentist in St. Andrews a five minute visit everything was prediscussed no real physical intervention needed thank goodness for that. My DH was saying last night no wonder st Andrews was buzzing the golf was on tv last night from st Andrews. He’s off playing golf today I’ll have a good few hrs to myself with my lovely carer being on hand if needed I even went on utube for daily stroke excercises and enjoyed doing them too. Must start doing them every morning. Mince and tatties or stovies for tea what’s your preference? I’ve opted for mince and tatties DH and ds not quite got the hang of this cooking larky wink have a good day everyone virtual hugs all around. smile

kittylester Fri 16-Oct-20 08:28:54

Morning all from a dullish North Leicestershire.

Pootling and faffing today. And yet more sad news. The brother of DD2's oldest, closest and best friend has been told that the cancer he thought was gone has, in fact, spread. He will find out next week whether an op is viable! He is 38!

We seem to be surrounded by sadness currently.

Enjoy your days everyone. Sending love, as always, to gilly.

Nanabanana1 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:30:23

Good morning all I am still in Cheshire with my daughter and it looks like a day, bright and sunny, Daughter recovering well so I have put my nurses outfit away and donned the civvies ? We are in tier 2 here so I won’t be able to visit my sister while I am here, very disappointed.
Taking daughter to see her Consultant later for a check up but feel all will be well.
Wishing everyone a good day xx

Urmstongran Fri 16-Oct-20 08:32:19

Oh kitty that’s heartbreaking for all concerned.
?

baubles Fri 16-Oct-20 08:37:10

Good morning Mick, morning all. Dry and bright in S Lanarkshire, a fine day ahead by the looks of it. I’ve promised myself a lazy day after four days of childminding which was lovely but exhausting.

I do need to walk to the shops to buy some birthday and sympathy cards as my stash has been depleted. I’ll combine that with a walk in the park which is looking glorious in its autumn finery.

Hope everyone has the best day they can.

GrannyOwl5 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:37:58

Good morning everyone from north Kent where it is grey, dank and chilly.
A visit to a tile shop is on the agenda today - I can hardly contain my excitement. Need to decide on colour and style for the bathroom makeover next month. Always interesting doing anything regarding colour as DH is partially colour-blind so we have many puzzling conversations about whether something is blue or grey, red or purple which has led to a few minor domestics in the past. Now I just ignore any suggestions for the sake of marital harmony!
Thanks for your picture of your resident squirrel Jaxjacky. One of mine has learnt to breach the bird feeders and scampers up the garden with his cheeks bulging and giving me the two-fingered tail salute as he goes.
Hope those under new restrictions are not too downcast: those with illnesses and worries have a better day. Have a good Friday. Stay safe

mancgirl Fri 16-Oct-20 08:38:40

Good morning from a dry Manchester. Had a lovely long walk yesterday, stopping at a canal side pub for lunch. Not many in at all. Such as shame as they are more than careful with all the safety regs. Going for a walk to the park this afternoon with gs's 2 and 3. Gs1 is in isolation after his reception year were sent home from school on Monday. He couldn't understand why he was going home when they hadn't even had lunch! Poor mum and dad now have 2 hours school work to do each day. Not much but when dad is at work and mum working full time from home, not easy and we can't even help out. I have missed the intrigue too Urmston Like the nails by the way. Have a good weekend everyone. flowers for those with extra cares and worries. Would love to see Gilly''s Friday girl.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:41:10

The sun is just coming out in Oxfordshire after a wet night, fencers are almost finished, we just need a couple of gates and the garden will be dog proofed, it will keep DDs dog safe inside and away from the dogs and horses in the field over the back. Less barking too, we hope.
Nothing much happening today, a few cups of tea and coffee for the men. It’s quite nice to be able to speak to people as we haven’t seen many around here since March.

Nannytopsy Fri 16-Oct-20 08:42:34

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
Grey skies in Suffolk this morning but it is forecast to be dry. Yesterday was frustrating as we had several heavy showers and could finish our gardening job.
I have a Physiotherapy appointment this morning to see if I can strengthen my unstable knee. It’s been quite painful for the past couple of weeks in particular. While I am out unaccompanied I will take the opportunity for a bit of shopping grin. It will be my first time in town since March.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 08:48:35

Good morning from a damp South Lincs. I read this lovely (and addictive) thread first thing every day but don’t often post. So sorry to hear about all the sad news and riveted by the Doghouse saga.
I am excited to be helping our son and family move next week (from a tiny flat shortly to be in Tier 2 to a house not that far away but, luckily, still
In Tier 1) and thought I might start a thread asking for tips on How Best To Help e.g. make tea for the removal men, make the beds and keep the 16 month old GS safe and occupied (rather than give unwanted opinions on decor etc). However, I can’t seem to remember how to add a new thread although I’ve done it before a few times. I could leave the question here, of course. Let’s see!
Have as good a day as possible, everyone x

Kalu Fri 16-Oct-20 08:54:01

Good morning all from Glasgow where it is a beautiful bright autumn day. 5deg. and a colourful sunrise.

A bright sunny day yesterday was made even brighter when DD1 came down for a visit with a box of iced gingerbread. We sat in the garden for a couple of hours, enjoying the sunshine and DD especially enjoying having M&P all to herself. A rare occasion.

Should you have any spare Amaretto biscuits MellowYellow please send them my way. I often have one with espresso and my tin is empty. Use up remaining Amaretto occasionally, poured over crushed ice in a small glass makes a delicious Amaretto Frappé cocktail?

A quick look at housework then looking forward to a day in the garden, hopefully have lunch out there too.

Good morning to our remaining friend who unfortunately is still in the Doghouse. ??

Have a pleasant all especially our friends having troubled times.

Anniebach Fri 16-Oct-20 09:00:52

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Oct-20 09:07:18

Good morning Mick and all from a bright S Hants, awaiting arrival of window cleaner who will be clearing the gutters too, what fun!
Urmstongran must do my nails too, will sit in the garden later with the clippers. Kate54 I go to Active forums and to the right is ‘start a new thread’.
Awaiting quote from kitchen installer who called yesterday, having at last chosen and agreed design, I’m keen to get it done. Also got a date, 30th, for new front door and window, I think the existing is the original, probably 35 years plus, it’s very draughty, we’ve decided no letterbox, so outside one ordered too.
Enjoying others posts, as always this morning, a lovely start to my day. Hoping those with difficulties have a positive day and we all enjoy a gentle Friday.

Stilllearning Fri 16-Oct-20 09:08:57

Morning from a bright S Lanarkshire with a thank you to Gransnet in general and Sheepandcattle in particular, from DD1 who’s farm is about 12 miles from me. It was cattle when she married DSIL 27 years ago but they changed to sheep a couple of years back.
I was telling her about your posts which had sparked my curiosity about which breeds they have. She explained it is mainly Cheviots and Aberfields with a small number of Ryelands and went on to tell me how they manage them, how busy it is just now but how she loves it, especially the calmer pace of life with sheep rather than excitable cattle! She was laughing about how the hand reared ones behave like pets even when they are fully grown!
It was really interesting and to my shame, the first time the first time I’ve understood the complexity and rhythm of life on the farm rather than just knowing they were always busy, perhaps because she only became really involved when she gave up a very different career after the children arrived.
She says the idea of working ‘inside’ is unthinkable now, she loves what she does and was so pleased to tell me about it. Never too late to learn and I’m so glad I asked, thanks from me too!
Good thoughts to all.

Grammaretto Fri 16-Oct-20 09:16:09

Good Morning all from the Scottish Borders where it looks like another sunny day!
I find GN weather-forecasting much more satisfactory than the radio.
Thanks Kalu
Feeling much brighter today after DH's successful day at the hospital clinic while I wandered around the Botanic gardens with our DS who took the morning off work to help us.

Now even the estimate for roof and ceiling repairs can't dampen my spirits at least for a day.
Great photos on here today but I still miss Gillybob's Friday girl.

BassGrammy Fri 16-Oct-20 09:19:32

It’s not a bad morning here in Yorkshire, the sun is trying to shine! Feeling quite down this morning though because tomorrow we go into Tier 2, which again cuts us off from family. Our daughter lives 10minutes away, with only open fields between us, but they are in Tier 1. Hopefully we can see them outdoors at half term. I’m used to being out and about and busy and struggling to find things to do at the moment, now that the days are colder and shorter!
Just feeling a bit sorry for myself!

Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:27:53

Thanks * Jaxjacky* , I knew someone here would know. Looking forward to feeling useful. Meanwhile, not a lot happening here except gutters, down pipes, all things upvc, bring cleaned in 30 minutes time so perhaps getting dressed would be an idea...

Kate54 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:28:46

Still haven’t mastered the bold type option! Apologies

Marydoll Fri 16-Oct-20 09:30:28

Kate, no spaces between * and letter.