Gransnet forums

Chat

I think this site should be renamed ‘GAMESNET’ - I have literally just hidden 15 games threads.

(41 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 16-Oct-20 20:54:15

And they all come out at night?
It’s actually putting me off coming here.

Calendargirl Sat 17-Oct-20 07:04:42

welbeck

janeainsworth

I wish they wouldn’t come up on the Active Threads at all.
Anyone who’s interested in them (obviously some people are) could just go straight to the Games forum.

ditto.
anyone at GNHQ, please ?

Ditto here too.

I think there are so many Games threads because often there is little else of real interest on other threads. Many threads just seem plain boring nowadays, same old stuff.

PetitFromage Sat 17-Oct-20 07:21:15

I agree, please can the games be kept separate, or at least not show up as trending or active threads.

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 08:00:47

Really? Complaining about Games? Unbelievable! Why do I feel this undercurrent of superiority from this thread?

I don’t know. confused

I have my GN set to show threads active in the last hour, and it’s not unusual in the evening for more than half of them to be games threads. No other forum comes close. I can’t see what’s wrong with the suggestion of giving them their own section? We’re never going to have to scroll paste 15 knitting threads - it hasn’t even got its own forum!

Marmight Sat 17-Oct-20 08:19:20

First World problem?
All a bit sad really, having to spend 8 seconds scrolling past 15 Games threads before finding a thread which suits ?

Marydoll Sat 17-Oct-20 08:31:30

I used to enjoy playing the games, but gave up, as there were so many and people were starting new ones before others were even finished. It just became too much.
Understandably, ome posters find them enjoyable and if you are on your own, they can fill an otherwise lonely day.
We should remember that GN is inclusive, so perhaps a compromise and as others have suggested, a separate games forum.

It's actually not to difficult to do on a website. I built our school website and was forever tweaking it.

Urmstongran Sat 17-Oct-20 08:41:57

They don’t bother me. I just scroll past them.

sodapop Sat 17-Oct-20 09:01:33

Floradora if you click on the game thread in the top right hand corner there is a red downward arrow, click on that and select 'hide this discussion' and click. It won't disappear immediately but next time you open up it will be gone. You only need to do it once not daily but you have to do each game individually. The problem arises with different tablets, phones etc no two seem to be the same.

Kandinsky Sat 17-Oct-20 09:11:00

Marmight

It’s nothing to do with ‘superiority’.
Maybe being a past mumsnet member I’m used to being able to hide entire boards permanently. MNHQ recognised that some people didn’t want to see certain topics coming up in active conversations again & again, subjects they had absolutely no interest in - like brexit for example. Plus some subjects can be triggers/ upsetting - like pregnancy & miscarriage - so you had real control over what you saw.
I’m not sure why we can’t have that facility here?
That’s all I’m saying.

Love & Peace to all ‘gamers’ btw, it’s nothing personal.

NotAGran55 Sat 17-Oct-20 10:06:26

Gosh what an unpleasant thread topic .

Why are games threads of lesser importance than any other thread ? It takes all of 2 seconds to scroll down through the active threads for heaven sake to find the important threads about dish cloths etc

I thought this was supposed to be a kind inclusive site ?

janeainsworth Sat 17-Oct-20 10:19:21

It isn’t the time it takes to scroll through - it’s the fact that other threads which might be interesting, are obliterated and don’t show up as active.
In other words, they drop off the Active Threads more quickly & so fewer people see them.
There are then fewer contributions to what might be an interesting discussion, or someone needing help or advice doesn’t get as many replies as they might have done.

Though I’ve noticed a new little tweak recently that says ‘show more’ at the bottom of Active Threads, so that at least is an improvement.

FannyCornforth Sat 17-Oct-20 10:26:34

Jane, you are right. I come and have a look here most nights around 4am and it's awash with games.
I think that I'll start my own 'middle of the night' thread and see how it goes.

Marmight Sat 17-Oct-20 11:13:15

As I said earlier, there were over 200 threads easily accessible on Active this morning., so I rest my case. The ‘superior’ feeling I felt was that Games, and the number of them, weren't as important as other topics and those who enjoyed them were seen as lesser mortals. Maybe I’m overthinking it but that’s how it came across. For the past month- the first time in 9 years - I have been taking a break from GN and just lurking occasionally. I saw this thread and couldn’t keep quiet! Back into obscurity for me ?

rockgran Sat 17-Oct-20 11:15:45

Just a thought. As the list is in alphabetical order could the topic be renamed "Z Games"? Then at least it would appear at the end of the list.

Chewbacca Sat 17-Oct-20 11:29:51

rockgran

Just a thought. As the list is in alphabetical order could the topic be renamed "Z Games"? Then at least it would appear at the end of the list.

But the active list isn't in alphabetical order rockgran, threads come up in the order of the last one commented on.
Like Marydoll, I also used to go on the games threads, when I first joined GN, but very rarely do these days. But if the games threads are at their most active in the evenings, that's probably because a lot of people are on their own at night and are looking for a bit of light hearted and friendly interaction. Personally, I find some of the other threads far more offensive. Hide what you don't want to see.

rockgran Sat 17-Oct-20 11:49:20

Sorry, Chewbacca, I was thinking of the Last Hour list as I usually use that.