Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris Press Conference @ 5pm

(151 Posts)
Esspee Tue 20-Oct-20 14:44:53

Guesses?

vampirequeen Tue 20-Oct-20 14:50:34

He'll be locking down Greater Manchester and the rest of the North. It's a cunning ploy. The great Northern Powerhouse plan was never going to be into place. Now he can blame Covid-19.

Riverwalk Tue 20-Oct-20 14:51:08

Sh*te?

Esspee Tue 20-Oct-20 14:51:41

Brexit? Lock downs? Resignations?

TwoWolves Tue 20-Oct-20 14:55:38

Good for Andy Burnham for sticking to his guns.

I'm sick of the government shouting "Jump" and the country asking "How high?"

Riverwalk Tue 20-Oct-20 14:57:02

I'd like to have faith in our PM I really would - at times like this you need to trust the country's leader.

Nothing to do with Brexit and certainly not party politics, I rather wish Angela Merkel were in charge.

You just somehow know that you could trust she had a handle on events and knew what she was doing.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Oct-20 14:57:33

If people had observed the guidelines/rules, socially distanced, worn face coverings etc there would be no need for anywhere to be on Tier 2 or 3.

There have been videos shared on line and shown on MSM of folks just doing what they want, partying in the streets, attending weddings of 100 people along with the continual protest marches for one thing or another.

I am just totally exhausted and depressed y people not caring about their fellow humans, not prepared to give up anything for the good of others...........

eazybee Tue 20-Oct-20 15:01:56

I am sick of Andy Burnham.

Callistemon Tue 20-Oct-20 15:02:22

Well, if he locks down the whole of England I can go home and have a rest instead of manning the barricades with my sword and shield to stop invaders coming into our part of Wales. We have few cases but will be locked down soon.

Perhaps that is what is necessary if people keep ignoring the rules.

vampirequeen Tue 20-Oct-20 15:07:17

I think that most people are following the rules. We see images of those who don't because they are unusual and it makes good copy. The spread isn't the fault of the public but the government's response particularly at the beginning of the crisis.

Evoha16 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:08:03

Could I apologise on behalf of all of those who organised and/or chose to attend Mental Health ‘Rally’ which took place in Liverpool ( St John’s Gardens on Saturday last. Firstly because it was an incredibly insensitive and dangerous thing to do in terms of Covid transmission and secondly because those fools played straight in to the hands of Dominic Cummings and there will be repercussions and ramifications far beyond being in tier 3 - I cannot believe the ‘police’ could consider such a mass gathering to be lawful - and am furious that no representative of LCC or Matt Ashton ( public health puppet) saw fit to condemn it - ?

Esspee Tue 20-Oct-20 15:16:00

Perhaps Boris is sending the troops in to Manchester?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:29:02

How many have we had to date?

I’ve lost count.

Each time I read the comments on here that all he does is piffle and waffle.

Not sure today will be any different.

TheFrugalPiggy Tue 20-Oct-20 15:40:14

I'm weary of reading about "selfish people" who won't stick to social distancing, wear masks etc. What about those who are obese, smoke, don't exercise and take the NHS for granted? My aunt and uncle are both having to shield because they both have COPD through a lifetime of heavy smoking. I witnessed a man walking down the road today, fat spilling out of his track suit bottoms, smoking a cigarette. That is what I call selfish!

Kinsi10 Tue 20-Oct-20 15:48:16

Agree with many OP's. If every one had done as we were asked months ago things might be so much better now

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Oct-20 15:54:25

Riverwalk

I'd like to have faith in our PM I really would - at times like this you need to trust the country's leader.

Nothing to do with Brexit and certainly not party politics, I rather wish Angela Merkel were in charge.

You just somehow know that you could trust she had a handle on events and knew what she was doing.

My word, yes to this.
I cried on the day of the Brexit vote because I was so scared of Johnson becoming PM.
I now wish that he had have done, and we would be well rid of him by now.
I've said on another thread that I really think that May would have been a great leader at this time.
But yes, Merkel does instill confidence.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:00:35

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with regard to Manchester.

The Manchester Tory MPs will be blamed for the businesses who go down the pan if Johnson holds to the intention of not providing more cash.

phoenix Tue 20-Oct-20 16:01:34

Well, just keep telling yourself this At least we haven't got Donald Trump

Riverwalk Tue 20-Oct-20 16:02:47

Rather a low bar phoenix!

AGAA4 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:04:42

Boris has had a further phone call with Andy Burnham but Manchester is most likely to go into Tier 3 soon.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:18:57

Burnham making a statement.

Asking parliament to intervene.

He’ll be lucky!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Oct-20 16:27:00

Our country is being torn apart

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 16:33:16

Please. Just have a nationwide lockdown for two weeks.

Quick question, sorry, tier3 does that exclude bubbles?

vampirequeen Tue 20-Oct-20 16:35:41

You're making assumptions. I'm not selfish but I am obese. Not for want of trying not to be. I walk or cycle everyday and try to eat a healthy diet. I lost 70lbs and sort of stuck. I want to lose more but it's not shifting. A dietician told me that my body is designed to survive a famine but we don't live in famine zone (well not until we leave the EU).

Jaxjacky Tue 20-Oct-20 16:40:27

Lucca agree with you on lockdown. Tier 3 includes your existing bubble I believe.
Won’t bother those with a whole tub of bubble mix?