Gransnet forums

Chat

Free Meals

(161 Posts)
midgey Fri 23-Oct-20 17:53:21

MPs voted against free school meals over half term, while having subsidised meals themselves.
you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-mps-entitlement-to-free-work-meals?bucket&fbclid=IwAR3JZwfI8l7N7OaTsvJunEx4FJC-wwxS2PpXG3eY9fqYdzHBzAjWwzuVgmI

Iam64 Sun 25-Oct-20 18:44:38

It's great to see so many posts from people who have direct experience of working with families where the wheel came off and state support should have been easily available.
52bright- I share your incredulity about Eat out to Help Out.

We ate out under the scheme once, to support our nephew who is a chef at a local restaurant and feared covid would cause them to close. I don't want to moan because Irealise Rishi Sunak wanted to support hospitality but, the rise in the virus has to be connected to people using the scheme, as well as schools/uni going back. A better use of all that money could have been extending the furlough scheme rather than paying people (like me) to have a cheap meal

Barmeyoldbat Sun 25-Oct-20 19:56:23

Iam64 your post makes a lot of sense, my gd also worked as a trainee chef in a restaurant and it closed and she lost her placement. Still she is young, still training and I hope there will be a job for her somewhere in the future. The eat out scheme in my mind was a complete waste of money and helped to fuel the rise in cases, as did all the uni students going back. I think we are going to have a very tough Christmas when people start meeting up and students go home.

Alegrias2 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:00:35

52bright, that is a spectacularly good post. Thank you.

Lisagran Sun 25-Oct-20 22:07:32

Good post 52bright

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=KHdzkBhyweY

nanna8 Mon 26-Oct-20 10:01:38

I am amazed that children go hungry in a country like the UK. Absolutely gobsmacked. Very,very rare here and I always thought we were less 'developed' Changed my mind I can tell you- parents look after their kids here except for very,very rare cases (usually drug addiction) and then the state would move in. Some kids get their school uniforms, outings and books free but not food, never that.

Lisagran Mon 26-Oct-20 10:03:09

Where are you, nanna8?

Galaxy Mon 26-Oct-20 10:17:17

Free school meals are provided in most if not all schools nanna8.

midgey Mon 26-Oct-20 10:41:21

But the original post was not about free school meals! I wonder how many posters have clicked on the link?

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 11:06:26

I certainly have!

Urmstongran Mon 26-Oct-20 11:42:19

Signed it.
Thank you for the link OP.