Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(70 Posts)
12Michael Sat 24-Oct-20 06:12:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dark but its dry and looks like some frost as well .
Nice easy day today , after watching the cycling today , will attempt to have a Chinese Take Away later.
Also not to forget that the clocks go back an hour tonight.
Feeling a little better, think I had similar effects a few years back as a reaction to the flu jab , but its better to feel 100% better than not at all .
Take Care,
Mick

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 08:16:04

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga ?

We strolled into Arroyo yesterday and I made a hair appointment for next Wednesday lunchtime. I will take the opportunity to have it cut as when we go home next month Manchester will still be in Tier 3 lockdown.

We sat and had coffee in the glorious sunshine at a busy bar near the train station and watched council workman putting up the Christmas lights in the town. Angels, trumpets and stars draped over the busy road. Early or what? I dare say it’s work for some - hotels have only had 25% capacity this summer.

Himself has Man. Utd at teatime and he will watch it on his iPad then we will go out for dinner downstairs. Easy peasy day as I shall be reading my latest novel on the Kindle ‘The Beekeeper of Aleppo’ by Christy Lefteri.
#lazygran
#nowonderilovemylife
❤️

Hope Saturday is good to us all. Trust your family Covid warriors are coping Beauregard. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Jaxjacky Sat 24-Oct-20 08:16:07

Good morning Mick, pleased your on the up, and all from a dry, windy S Hants. Should start emptying cupboards in the kitchen today, new one incoming 9th. Might go conkering with GC’s this morning and definitely allotment pm as have a booked slot at the tip. Frittata for dinner, I’ll chuck in a load of veg and some sausages. Relative normality amongst the mayhem around. Thinking of others now, have the best day you can.

Taichinan Sat 24-Oct-20 08:16:44

Good morning all from a very dark Angus coast. I haven't looked out yet but I suspect it's raining and blowing as forecast. Glad you're feeling better Mick. Nothing happening here today - just the usual round of housework. It's the sort of day to cosy in at home I think. Have a good day everyone. ???

Marydoll Sat 24-Oct-20 08:17:14

Good morning from a very wet and wild Glasgow. Glad to hear you are on the mend, Mick.
A very restless night due to the bowling wind and joint paint, to add to the mix THE cough is back!!?
I can hear all sorts of banging noises outside too , but can't see anything in the dark.

No plans today apart from a visit from DD to pick up her share of the online Tesco delivery.
As DH was playing golf and I can't lift. those silly tray liners everything now comes in, I asked the driver to leave everything in the garage and I would bring it in in small batches, once he left.
When I went out I noticed a DD's box of beer was wet!? A can had a gaping hole in it. So off I toddled to phone Tesco.

I don't know if anyone has had to phone the Tesco call centre in Dundee, but on any occasion I have phoned, the staff have all been so pleasant.
A lovely young man told me he was refunding the money. When I questioned the large amount for a can of beer, he said I can't refund one can, so I'm refunding the whole amount.
Protesting, I said that I only need the cost of the burst can. ^ Sorry^, he said. It's already processed, you have a nice day So DD got a £14 box of beer for free!
He then advised me, as I was shielding, when I could book my Christmas delivery slot. A good result all round.

My poor friend across the road has been advised to self isolate, as one of her pupils has tested positive. She works in a nursery and this has been her worry for weeks, as she had already expressed concerns to her head teacher.
She is devasted, as she has a family funeral on Wednesday and only a handful were going anyway. The funeral had been delayed already for a post mortem to be carried out.
She also picks up her grand daughter from school two days a week, as her daughter is a teacher and there is no-one else to do it.
Normally I would do it, as her DGD is in the same class as mine, but I can't pick up my own grand daughter either at the moment as I'm too vulnerable.
I felt so sorry for my poor friend yesterday, as I stood at my door and tried to hold a conversation across the road with with her standing at her front door.
My own daughter then panicked, as she thought I might have been in contact. However, my friends are extremely careful when near me.

I fear we will never hear from Gilly her break from GN has been quite prolonged this time and she is not responding to PMs. I had always thought BlueSapphire would also return, but I'm losing hope.?

Have the best day you can everyone. Kate, I'm going to sort out my scarves today, I may be away for some time!?

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Oct-20 08:19:33

Good morning from a wet Leicestershire.

Absolutely nothing planned today although I will make Mary Berry’s veggie curry as coincidentally all the right ingredients arrived in my veggie box yesterday.

Sorry I missed your birthday NanKate I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Scentia Sat 24-Oct-20 08:26:42

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. Looks cold out this morning but I will take the pooch in a bike ride nonetheless.
Grandmattie our flu jabs were done drive through style DH sat in front me in back, window down, nurse at each window, 3 seconds, job done. I hope yours are as efficient.
My DD came around yesterday and was very tearful, and sad, it is apparent she is very anxious about this pregnancy following the miscarriage, I do feel they maybe should have given themselves a little longer before getting pregnant again as she is very very anxious. Her midwife has scared her too by saying she mustn’t let her son jump on her or kick her, which at 17 months old is so hard to police. I am cross with the midwife as this has just added to her anxiety. It makes it clear why she is so low. I did my best to help and said she should speak to her consultant next week about the risks as I think the midwife has made her over cautious.
It is book box day today, so I will hopefully post photos tomorrow. First I am off to the hifi shop for new speaker wire.
Have a good day folks. Take care everyone and stay safe.

Urmstongran Sat 24-Oct-20 08:27:22

Sadly, I fear the same as you Marydoll regards gillybob and BlueSapphire. xx

aggie Sat 24-Oct-20 08:33:35

Good Morning all , glad to see that Mick is feeling better
It’s dark wet and generally miserable here , no plans today . I miss the Grandchildren from Edinburgh coming to visit , they usually come for half term . Even the local GC don’t visit now unless it’s dry enough to be outside
I have crocheted them all a blanket/ throw each and am halfway through doing the same for the adults , keeps me busy

Greyduster Sat 24-Oct-20 08:34:33

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. There was a lovely sunrise this morning, but the sun has changed it’s mind now and the colour of the sky presages the rain that we are forecast for South Yorkshire. First day day of our Tier
Three lockdown. Nothing much on today. I will make a curry for tomorrow and spend the rest of the day pottering about. More work on the rug, probably. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing, and stay safe.

Stilllearning Sat 24-Oct-20 08:46:22

Morning from a wild S Lanarkshire. Well I've established that is was indeed a 'sleek it, cowrie, tim'rous beastie' that raced across my kitchen floor on Thursday night! Now that I've looked him in the eye so to speak, I'm not so bothered but I suppose I'll need to do something before he moves the family in.
A lovely garden visit to my daughter's yesterday for my 8 year old DGG's birthday. She was really excited and so was I. They brought out the cake with one candle in the shape of an 8 and I was at least able to join in the singing of Happy Birthday which almost felt like normal. Well worth the round trip and so glad it wasn't today, it just wouldn't have been possible in today's weather.
Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

NannyJan53 Sat 24-Oct-20 08:51:25

Good morning from a dull and rainy Black Country.

Had a lovely walk yesterday with u3a group at a local beauty spot. Then a long telephone chat with my friend in Lincs in the afternoon. Her partner has some health issues and needs a operation soon, but they remain upbeat.

No real plans today, looks too rainy to do anything outside, so it may be a morning of housework.

I had my flu jab 6th October, and at least it was indoors. No real reaction luckily except for a sore arm for a couple of days.

We are the only borough now in the West Midlands to be in Tier 1. Wondering how long that will last!

Stay safe everyone

Anniebach Sat 24-Oct-20 08:54:25

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

kittylester Sat 24-Oct-20 09:01:24

Morning all. My bit of North Leicestershire is similar to dragonfly's but is not currently raining - it has been and will again no doubt.

A trip to the florist in the village this morning and our new lamp for the lounge is being delivered!

kate you go girl. Though how will you top that for next year?

Sending best wishes to everyone but especially to our gilly.

Annapops Sat 24-Oct-20 09:06:11

Good morning all from a very looking County Durham.

Yesterday we took a trip up the coast to Alnmouth and although a little drizzly the sea air was certainly refreshing for us walking along a deserted sandy beach. I grew up near the sea and I always enjoy returning, no matter what the weather.

I finally got in touch with my BIL in hospital on Thursday. After spending 7 days in ICU and 11 days total in hospital on a Covid ward, he was allowed home yesterday. Such a relief that he's ok and can continue to recover at home.

Not much happening here today other than sorting out gifts in my Christmas cupboard. I bought quite a lot of items in the January sales for the grownups so a check is vital before I waste any money on more presents.

After applying for my state pension earlier in the week (6 years too late) I was pleasantly surprised by the amount. DH has started to check out new cars online. I wonder why?

I'll catch up remotely with GD1 who is currently in isolation for 2 weeks due a covid case in her class. It's ended up putting a stop to any family activities over half term and she will miss her dancing, but her gym has organized classes for her online so that will help little lady keep active.

Have the best day you can everyone.

cornergran Sat 24-Oct-20 09:11:42

Morning Mick, morning All from a very windy and beginning to be wet corner of Somerset. Slow start here today, our get up and go has wandered off, no matter, nothing pressing waiting to be done other than change the soba covers in the conservatory to the Autumn/Winter ones. Living room curtains, cushions and rug were swapped yesterday. Have always done it, I do like a change and Mr C is a very patient man. smile. I’ve also been wondering about gilly and bluesapphire, hope they know how much they are cared about. Look after yourselves everyone.

Pittcity Sat 24-Oct-20 09:11:50

Good morning from a grey skied Gosport.
Having a MacDonalds breakfast before picking up DS to drive home. Very impressed with the Covid precautions and they do make good cheap coffee.

dragonfly46 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:16:24

Good news about your BiL Annapops

harrigran Sat 24-Oct-20 09:24:19

Good morning from an overcast NE.
DH is just returning from his trip to buy a newspaper, a loaf and a bottle of milk. The once a week shop, all the rest is online.
Can't believe it is Saturday already the week just speeds by.
Started looking for sister's birthday present yesterday and got a good deal on her favourite face creams from Boots. It will probably be a heavy box to post to Germany, no alternative as she can't buy them there.
Take care and stay safe.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 09:37:16

Good Morning All x
Dark , dismal and damp with a breeze picking up. I won't be going outside the door today so the weather can do what it likes. smile

The heating engineer called last night to check the system, but as thought, the darned thing didn't act up as it did on Tuesday night. However, he did say that there was a pressure outlet outside should it perform again and on looking there'd been no sign of an overflow as the area was dry. I could hear myself talking the hind leg of a pot grin because of not speaking to anyone outside for weeks, oh dear. A really nice chap though.

I got a couple of nice big lamb chops for dinner tomorrow--£7 ! I'll be sucking the bones at that price. A lovely cauli--£2.
Gee whizz, do people see me coming or what ? Still, I'll enjoy them with roast and trimmings.
Mixed grill today with kidneys this time. Must keep the strength up ! I'm fortunate to be able to eat like I do. My dear friend was the same and lived for 98 years, bless her. The family called us the Gannets grin

Must get some stronger lens glasses when I'm in Asda as these 2.5 strength are not now enough for the small print in the newspaper, so a 3.00 will suffice. The £2 ones do me as I don't have eye problems as such and can see round corners when I'm out. I'll put them on my list for next week.

Children have broken up here so it'll be quieter than ever after hearing their chattering to and from school. I actually thought they'd broken up last week, well my lot anyway. It's sad that I won't see them for Halloween as I'd previously arranged to go to D's, but that's not possible now.

Take things easy everyone and stay safe, also enjoy the day as best you can, with thoughts to our struggling pals xx.

GrannySomerset Sat 24-Oct-20 10:12:44

Horrible morning, wet and wild, but no plans to do anything outdoors today. Made the festive mincemeat yesterday, usual quantity of 10lbs, which normally last two years. This year I won’t be making industrial quantities of mince pies for the family and various events so may still be using it in 2023.

Main project today is the cake, which DH loves as it reminds him of his grandmother and mother, whose recipe I use. Always useful to have some fruit cake about, though sad not to be able to share it. Can’t see DS being able to visit to collect either cake or pies, which he and DGS like so much. But at least it gives today a purpose. The worst part is lining the cake tin, I find. Does anyone else hate this job?

Shall be very sad not to hear more of Gillybob. It will be like not finishing a really engrossing book and not knowing whether the good outcome you were hoping for actually comes about.

mrswoo Sat 24-Oct-20 10:43:49

Good morning everyone from Newcastle where its dry but quite windy. Not much happening here today although I will go for a walk up to the High Street soon.
I had a really bad night's sleep and was awake in the small hours with 101 things going on in my head.
Annapops I'm glad you managed to speak to your BIL and he's on the mend. Also, congratulations on your back-dated pension. I delayed mine for 6 years too and it was a lovely surprise when I got the back-dated amount.
marydoll I fear you are right about Gillybob. It does look as if she has decided not to return. I hope she knows that we are still thinking about her and hoping things are improving for her and her family.

Diangram Sat 24-Oct-20 10:48:48

Good morning from West Yorkshire. I'm asking if anyone has any ideas for gifts for our granddaughter
who is not 'girly'. She is approaching 18 just after Christmas & would also like something pleasing for Christmas. She is an introvert, very intelligent, wears jeans & black tops, has a wonderful mop of long curly hair & always helps me if I ask. We are giving her money in fact but would like to buy a little something as a keepsake or just to give pleasure. Thanks for any suggestions you wise folks have!

hollysteers Sat 24-Oct-20 11:00:34

Good morning Mick and all from Rainy Row on the west coast. Yes a flu jab can give you a reaction and I hope you feel better soon but you still need a check up.
Carted bags off to the charity shop yesterday, one of the few still taking stuff and picked up a lovely Art Deco style clock for next to nothing. Shouldn’t stay and look, my own house is like the V & A, or an Egyptian pyramid, stuffed to the gunnels?
I’m uming and ahing (?) with my heating, off and on. Feel the responsibility now I’m on my own, just given in.
Elizabeth1 I’m glad you had a good nights sleep. I dreamt I had the choice of two men to be with, one dark and bearded, the other lighter in colour with glasses and rather intellectual. I chose the dark one. I’d arranged it myself by joining their party at S.Pancras station. Woke up feeling jolly. Frankly listening to people’s dreams is boring, so apologies.
Sar53 I get lots of scams and take not a blind bit of notice, don’t worry. One told me I was about to be arrested!
GrannyGravy13 I’m a glass half full girl too usually but level three is pushing me downwards. Struggling to motivate myself and bored stiff sorting cupboards.
Thoughts with those with troubles.

Georgesgran Sat 24-Oct-20 11:04:40

Good morning from Durham.
It’s dry, but very windy so it may not rain - as it has done every day this week!
DH’s blood tests didn’t go to plan yesterday - made worse as he’d forgotten his mobile and couldn’t let me know what was happening. After 3 hours with no news, I sat in reception and he appeared with injections to use over the weekend. Hopefully, they should boost his immune system to allow Tuesday’s treatment to go ahead. It’s been delayed once and I fear it may be abandoned if this becomes a regular thing. Both his stem cell transplant and another major treatment were cancelled altogether when he had similar problems last year.

Still have DD2s older dog here - so a walk with him soon. Washing’s in the machine but little else to get excited about.

We shouldn’t pry - but it would be beneficial (is that the right word) for some to know why Gilly hasn’t been posting? She was a daily regular so hope her DF, DH, and Friday Girl are all ok.

Hope everyone has the best day today-especially those with troubles. X

Stilllearning Sat 24-Oct-20 11:12:48

Just checked in with my coffee and see autocorrect has ‘fixed’ my scots language, ?, sorry Rabbie!