Gransnet forums

Chat

People who bleed

(39 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 12:34:22

Tampax celebrating the 'diversity of all people who bleed'.

Astral Sat 24-Oct-20 16:52:19

Oh that's an age old argument isn't it, discrimante against the many based on the actions of a very few.

Will society ever learn to hold individuals accountable instead of spreading fear and prejudice against entire groups who aren't the same as they are?

I hope so, its a very shameful problem that just keep popping up on different stances and platforms.

Lavazza1st Sat 24-Oct-20 16:53:22

Well, it would be good for their sales if people were to use it everytime they cut themselves ?

FarNorth Sat 24-Oct-20 17:02:37

Paddyanne if you can show any hatred in any posts I have made, please do so.
I don't think there is any.

I'm sure that anyone who needs to use sanitary protection is aware of that fact and doesn't need to be reminded by special wording from Tampax.

I wonder if anyone likes being called a person who bleeds.

EllanVannin Sat 24-Oct-20 17:04:48

Whatever next in this ever changing world ? Of course everyone bleeds one way or another !

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:34:52

Bluebellwould

People who bleed! Everyone bleeds don’t they? If you cut someone they bleed. Surely they mean people who menstruate which is a totally different thing.

I think it is deliberately conflating the terms. Menstruation is the assumed meaning, given the product, but technically it is inclusive, as everyone bleeds, including some transmen.

It's quite clever/disingenuous, depending on your point of view. What I object to is their claiming to be using 'facts', when we all know that there is a lot of difference of opinion surrounding the issue.

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:26

Obviously all transmit bleed - I am mixing the terms in my post above. I do wish we had a few minutes to edit on here! It is maddening to spot a mistake and have no means of putting it right.

TerriBull Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:42

It's a can of worms, just consider an everyday situation, women and girls going to be fitted for a bra in M&S and then finding the person in the adjacent cubicle is allowed to be there because they are identifying as a female. Some won't feel comfortable in situations where they need to change their sanitary wear in toilets that are no longer designated as a place for women. What of changing rooms? I belonged to a health club until recently where most women and girls were partially or fully naked after showering and changing following swimming or gym. What about the women whose religion have strict parameters about modesty and the definition of two sexes, and are precluded from being seen in a state of undress by anyone other than their husbands, do they not matter?

It is a fact that many women are not comfortable with the proposals that are in the offing, and why should those women not have their voices heard. One only has to look at the numerous threads over on MN, a younger demographic in the main than here, to know just how many women feel they are being thrown under the bus.

Look at the shed load of shite that came JK Rowling's way when she had the temerity to suggest that it was appropriate to say "women menstruate" rather than people. One of the tactics to discredit it her by the vociferous opponents of free speech were to put umpteen one star reviews of her new Robert Dalgleish book up on Amazon, didn't do them any good though it still went to number one in the hardback charts.

Doodledog Sat 24-Oct-20 17:36:59

TransMEN, not transmit! AArrgghh!

SueDonim Sat 24-Oct-20 18:27:55

I love your posts, Terribull. Well said.

Galaxy Sat 24-Oct-20 18:35:27

I also think if people like tampax cared in the slightest about transmen they might be asking questions about the apparent failure rate of surgery for transmen, I really really hope we are doing the right thing by transmen because if we are not the last thing anyone will be worrying about is whether the language was inclusive or not.

Jane10 Sat 24-Oct-20 18:37:30

Hear hear Terribull!

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 18:38:36

kircubbin2000

Well I won't be buying their woke product again!

Nor will i thank goodness . Only good thing about getting old is no more periods.

maddyone Sat 24-Oct-20 19:31:25

Absolutely Lucca, it’s a joy to be rid of them isn’t it?

Excellent post TerriBull.