Gransnet forums

Chat

Come the revolution, these will be banned!?

(45 Posts)
phoenix Sat 24-Oct-20 18:00:28

Evening all,and good wishes.

The following will all be banned, once sensible people rule the world!

Scratchy labels on clothes

Washing instruction labels that fade so that you can't read them

Packets of bacon, ham and other sliced meats with the word "peel here" in the corner when it damn well doesn't

The word "simply" when used to describe things that are actually far from "simple"

Showers in hotel rooms that require either:

A) A degree in engineering to operate them
B) A masochistic desire to be drenched in either freezing or scalding water
C) Inbuilt psychic ability to control them

Over to you! grin

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 20:10:37

Any car seat or buggy that is so complicated to do up or dismantle.

Calendargirl Sat 24-Oct-20 20:13:23

That ‘I’m not a robot’ thing where you have to tick traffic lights or water hydrants before it will let you carry on with buying something online, the pictures are too blurry to make out what’s what.
Or it could be I need new glasses!
?

SueDonim Sat 24-Oct-20 20:20:11

Pale grey print on white backgrounds, like you get in magazines.

petra Sat 24-Oct-20 20:28:20

Palm Oil that doesn't come from a sustainable source.
Fructose.
No need to mention plastic, that's a given.
I would like to give a shout at for Hamiltons Fish ( Brixham) for their sustainable packaging. We have had fish delivered from other companies all in the horrible styrene. This came in a cardboard box with wool packaging. ???

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 20:43:59

Callistemon

Looking at your heading, phoenix, I thought you meant cats!
Having watched one demolishing a lovely blue tit yesterday, I was going to say Yippee!

?

You could have watched me demolishing some lamb chops today instead.?

phoenix Sat 24-Oct-20 20:47:31

Sorry, Callistemon can't ban cats, Oliver Sprout and Minnie are family!

(Will agree that the murderous habits are not particularly desirable, which reminds me, must remove the dead mouse from outside the front door blush)

Curlywhirly Sat 24-Oct-20 20:48:20

Tea served in thick 'mug' cups in cafes, China cups please!
Shampoo and conditioner bottles, that are identical and have the words 'shampoo' and 'conditioner' written on them so small that you need a magnifying glass to read them.
Reality TV (apart from Gogglebox).

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 20:50:47

Marmite jars that always stick and refuse to open
Price labels slapped onto books and gifts that leave marks when pulled off
Junk mail
All tins without ring pulls
Cold callers at door or on phone
Chuggers
Jehovahs Witnesses
Wildly bleached teeth
Caterpillar eyebrows

Bellanonna Sat 24-Oct-20 20:58:43

Sardine tin keys - they always snap. Horrible things.

I agree about the teeth and eyebrows, Lemon.

Chewbacca Sat 24-Oct-20 21:03:27

The little key on the side of the square corned beef tin that always snaps off before you've got around it to open the wretched thing.

Bellanonna Sat 24-Oct-20 21:07:24

Yes, and that, Chewy !

Chewbacca Sat 24-Oct-20 21:12:27

And the stash of light bulbs that you keep never has the size or fitting for the bulb that's just blown. I seem to have half a dozen candle bulbs with a large bayonet fitting. Which is odd, as all my lamps have a small, screw fitting.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:16:37

Lucca

Any car seat or buggy that is so complicated to do up or dismantle.

I was ready to leave my GCs buggy in a car park when a lovely young man came up
and folded it up in one swift move ?

Lucca Sat 24-Oct-20 21:21:55

My bloke and I took,his twin granddaughters out one day years ago and had to stuff the twin buggy into the boot of the car. We couldn’t collapse it and nor could the young couple we accosted asking for help !!

grumppa Sat 24-Oct-20 21:23:38

Whoever prescribes the arrangement of the menswear dept. In M&S.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 21:46:03

Chewbacca

And the stash of light bulbs that you keep never has the size or fitting for the bulb that's just blown. I seem to have half a dozen candle bulbs with a large bayonet fitting. Which is odd, as all my lamps have a small, screw fitting.

Haha!

grannyrebel7 Sat 24-Oct-20 21:47:41

All cruelty to animals!

Spangler Sat 24-Oct-20 22:21:00

A car that flashes a little orange icon of a car sliding on the road when the car is sliding on the road.

"Reset to Factory Default" buttons that are easy to press accidentally because you're old and you don't see well.

Computerised telephone systems that cut off the call before you finish dialling the number because you are dialling too slow, because you're trying to read the number off a screen and the print is too small. And the buttons on the phone are too small and you can't just throw the phone on the floor and smash it under foot and plug in a real rotary-dial phone and use it instead, because those damnable bean-strainers in the business office took out the plain old telephone service line and replaced it with an all in one virtual phone system, to save ten quid a month. What was that number again?

Automated sinks in public toilets that only give you a little squirt of water to wash your hands. Hot air blowers to dry your hands. Have you ever encountered the Dyson blade? You have to do a stock check on your fingernails after using one of those, just to make sure that they are all still there.

Satnav voices that are so banal you end up arguing with it.

The need for a degree in quantum physics just to change the light bulb on the car.

Alexa computers that you are supposed to talk to. The motivation for all profanities.

Karaoke, the word alone speaks volumes.

There's more, a whole lot more.

Callistemon Sat 24-Oct-20 23:00:00

You could have watched me demolishing some lamb chops today instead
But your lamb chops were not flapping frantically while you bit them, presumably, lemongrove