Gransnet forums

Chat

Bootcut/Flared Jeans

(49 Posts)
Sashabel Sun 25-Oct-20 10:53:44

This week I've seen Alex Jones on the One Show, Tess Daly on Strictly and a couple of other female presenters all wearing flared jeans or trousers. Are these back in fashion? How annoying if that's the case because I threw out all my bootcut jeans a couple of years ago - more fool me!!

Sashabel Sun 25-Oct-20 11:03:30

Just Googled it and, yes, the look for 2020 is bootcut!! I'm just going to stick with what I've got. Can't be bothered foolishly following such money wasting trends and I'm trying not to buy any more clothes as my wardrobe is already bursting at the seams

Marydoll Sun 25-Oct-20 11:06:18

I will stick to what I've got. Flares don't look good on me!

EllanVannin Sun 25-Oct-20 11:14:23

I've got clothes since the 1980's in case they make a come back grin
Don't like flares, they make you trip up with the flapping about.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Oct-20 11:17:01

Yes. Mid to late 90s fashion is back.
See also block heeled boots that originally hark back to the 60s (as do the boot cut jeans).

In the summer those spaghetti strap bias cut dresses that Kate Moss wore were in fashion - but no-one noticed as no-one went anywhere and we all had bigger fish to fry.

Nortsat Sun 25-Oct-20 11:21:52

I don’t like boot cut jeans or trousers and never bought any, when they were fashionable previously.
It’s a no from me, this time too.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Oct-20 11:24:23

They suited me in the 90s as they balanced my shoulders and hips.
They categorically wouldn't suit me now.

merlotgran Sun 25-Oct-20 11:26:48

Flares are nigh on impossible to tuck into wellies so it's a No from me!

Calendargirl Sun 25-Oct-20 11:28:56

I used to find boot cut flattering, as they balanced out my pear shape.
Would probably buy them again, and take me back to when I was a young mum.

MiniMoon Sun 25-Oct-20 11:29:10

I've only got little legs. Bootcut jeans are supposed to make your legs look longer.
I need new trousers, as all I have are jeggings. I'll have to look out for some.

jacq10 Sun 25-Oct-20 14:34:13

Looking at trousers in M&S last week I couldn't believe there were stretch trousers with strap for under foot. Haven't seen these for many years. Like you Sashabel I'm annoyed I threw mine away after holding on to them for I don't know how long!!! There was only one rack of them but if they are coming back I will be buying some - so comfy. These days I dress more for comfort than fashion.

Ellianne Sun 25-Oct-20 14:35:40

Boot cut for me, usually from NEXT.

DanniRae Sun 25-Oct-20 14:47:13

I never stopped wearing flared trousers - so I am bang up-to-date grin

Curlywhirly Sun 25-Oct-20 14:50:15

Well I would be glad if they are making a comeback. As I am small they do make my legs look longer which I can tell you is very welcome! I am a bit of a hoarder where clothes are concerned, and kept a few pairs back, so I need to dig them out pronto!

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 14:53:52

Yes definitely en vogue my granddaughter proudly showed me hers last week
I loved bootcut but threw mine out about 10 years ago when skinny ones came in
I m happy to get buying them again still got longish slim legs although they ll probably have to be a waist size up Grrr

LauraNorder Sun 25-Oct-20 15:18:07

I love bootcut, they can be worn longer over block heeled boots to make me look taller. 1960,s flares were wider, I think, boot cut are neater as they flare nearer the bottom.
Have worn skinnier with trainers but always bootcut with heeled boots, so no change for me.
I wear what suits me and what I like so
I’m in fashion every ten years or so.

PinkCakes Mon 26-Oct-20 14:50:22

Most of my jeans and trousers are bootcut. I couldn't care less whether they're fashionable or not, I like them.

AGAA4 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:40:11

I have kept one pair of bootcut jeans. I think they are more flattering on most people than the skinny trouser look.

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 15:44:29

There's a difference between flares and boot cut.

Boot cut are very slightly flared - designed to go over your boots, obviously.

Flares are more exaggerated - I can remember when we used to sew flowery cotton inserts into the bottoms of jeans to make them wider.

Anything's better than ripped jeans.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:44:40

I have shallow hips, I'm more concerned I don't get the high waisted trousers - I could fit my boobs in them!!

Callistemon Mon 26-Oct-20 15:45:02

I’m in fashion every ten years or so.

grin

seadragon Tue 27-Oct-20 09:44:11

Just put all my boot cut jeans in a suit case in the loft. Must see if I can find it....

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 09:48:32

I read in the fashion pages that tight/skinny jeans are proving very uncomfortable when working at home or spending long periods at home so the trend is for looser jeans. I'm looking forward to finding some new boot cuts as they are much more flattering for me.

Alioop Tue 27-Oct-20 09:57:37

Boot cut yes, flares definitely not. I'm 5 ft 2 and my thighs aren't the slimmest as all my weight goes to my bottom half. I love straight jeans or if in long boots jeggings, but will not be in flares ever again.

polnan Tue 27-Oct-20 09:59:51

I`m with you DanniRae