Gransnet forums

Chat

Bootcut/Flared Jeans

(50 Posts)
Sashabel Sun 25-Oct-20 10:53:44

This week I've seen Alex Jones on the One Show, Tess Daly on Strictly and a couple of other female presenters all wearing flared jeans or trousers. Are these back in fashion? How annoying if that's the case because I threw out all my bootcut jeans a couple of years ago - more fool me!!

Saetana Tue 27-Oct-20 23:07:09

Bootcut jeans/trousers have never been OUT of fashion - I despair of those over 50 who still insist on clinging to the latest fashions, wear what you like and what suits you. Fashion is both ephemeral and repetitive - not to mention a horrific waste of resources (fast fashion is really bad for the environment). Does anyone at our ages really care that much about wearing the latest trends? I sincerely hope not.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 22:48:02

Gosh I didn't even realise that boot cut trousers had gone out of fashion!
That's what I like to hear! Thank goodness BlueRuby
grin

Chewbacca Tue 27-Oct-20 22:45:59

I can remember when we used to sew flowery cotton inserts into the bottoms of jeans to make them wider.

grin Back in the late 60's/early 70's, I had a pair of black canvas hipster trousers which I cut up the outer leg seams. I sewed 2 huge triangles of black cotton, with bright yellow stars, back into them and created my own flares. But the cotton cloth was much lighter than the black canvas and it wafted madly as I walked and I looked like a ship in full sail! They also used to wrap themselves around my legs and trip me up! grin

AlisonKF Tue 27-Oct-20 20:05:09

The point about boot cut is to accommodate cowboy boots with a heel which makes for greater security when riding a horse. Strikes me they are just the thing for all the ankle boots around. As I have to wear supportive ankle boots all the time because of arthritis, it's boot cut for me. I do have a 31 inch inside leg, though.

Bobdoesit Tue 27-Oct-20 16:43:25

Me too Ellianne Next bootcut jeans are excellent.

BlueRuby Tue 27-Oct-20 13:29:15

Gosh I didn't even realise that boot cut trousers had gone out of fashion! grin I only wear stretchy straight leg or boot cut trousers - I hate leggings. I suppose if you wait long enough there'll always come a time when you're trendy!!!

Rumpunch Tue 27-Oct-20 13:11:29

HootyMcOwlface

I didn’t know bootcut had gone out of fashion! I’m still wearing mine so I’m ahead of the game this time then.

Yes thats me too! I have still be buying them in M & S,
I can only think that the 'new' fashion are more like flares that I wore in the 70's. With small feet I could where my platform shoes and have my flares reaching the ground so you couldn't see my shoes and I looked so tall. Not doing that again though!

ayse Tue 27-Oct-20 13:07:34

I was just going to get rid of the last couple of pairs but I think I’ll hang on to them. Never could get used to really tight legged trousers although straight is ok. I’m quite short with thunder thighs so bootcut fool good.

Alima Tue 27-Oct-20 12:44:49

Don’t care what they are, boot cut, flares, loons (remember them?) anything is better than seeing great thunder thighs and huge rear ends squashed into skin tight jeans, not a good look. Been waiting seemingly ages for that trend to move on. I’m all right Jack, kept all my decent jeans so I am right back in fashion! Bring it on! (Actually, since lockdown I have been living in jogging bottoms so not bothered).

DanniRae Tue 27-Oct-20 12:27:28

polnan - grin

Kim19 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:26:07

I love the way our generation recycles from storage before recycling was thought to have been invented. We're only wonderful.

Lancslass1 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:18:56

I am 80 years old and am certainly no beauty but I have got long legs and I think that bootcut jeans are the most flattering.
Mine come from Sainsburys and last for years.

PECS Tue 27-Oct-20 12:08:42

Flares are not boot cut! I wore flares in 60s/70s and they flapped about from the knee down.. even had a pair with contrasting insert in the flare! Boot cuts are slightly wider at the calf than straight cuts..to accommodate boots!
Please be clear which ones are back in fashion before I go in the loft to retrieve the correct bag!grin

Kim19 Tue 27-Oct-20 12:01:50

Really feel flares and boot cuts look better on longer legs. Unfortunately I'm a mini creature and they don't have any feel good factor for me. They do seem to be making a resurgence though. Mind you, I think we are less foolish in being followers of fashion nowadays and wear what we feel good in. Thank goodness.

leeds22 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:55:36

I always liked bootcuts but got rid of them in favour of straight legs. Will now stick with what I've got as hardly anyone is going to see me over the next 6 months of Covid purdah.

mothertrucker52 Tue 27-Oct-20 11:46:24

I never throw any jeans out as the different shapes come back in every few years. The dresses which are in fashion at the moment are horrible, they make tall, slim, beautiful young models look like frumps so heaven knows how I'd look in them! (Got a good idea ?)

HootyMcOwlface Tue 27-Oct-20 11:38:16

I didn’t know bootcut had gone out of fashion! I’m still wearing mine so I’m ahead of the game this time then.

nipsmum Tue 27-Oct-20 11:32:47

Black leather jump suits, one of the presenters on a morning TV show wore that. It doesn't mean we all have to rush out and buy one. What's on TV is not always wise for everyday wear.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 10:44:46

Wide leg crops also not great if you have canckles like me.

Teetime Tue 27-Oct-20 10:44:08

I agree witzend my mother would have said ' those trousers have had a row with the shoes'. DH is very fond of what he calls 'cavalry slant' e.g. Roger Moore as James Bond - immaculate tailoring.

Phloembundle Tue 27-Oct-20 10:42:53

I stopped wearing flares in the 1970s.

fifeywifey Tue 27-Oct-20 10:40:35

Oh no! I've just realised that I have been out of fashion for years with my boot cut jeans. I must read more fashion magazines to stay in voguegrin.

Witzend Tue 27-Oct-20 10:25:25

Does anyone else think the cropped, wide-leg trousers that seem to be the latest trend, are beyond hideous? IMO they don’t look good even if you’re 5 foot 9 and a size 10.

MaggieMay69 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:08:16

My gs always tells me fashion is not the same these days, the only true fashion among his friends at Uni and the friends he mixes with is 'Wear what the hell you like and be comfy!'
I love my Palazzo trousers in jersey soft material!
They're sooo comfortable, no digging in, they look like a long maxi skirt from far away and I can wear my leggings underneath (I get chilly!) and I wear my long holey jumper my gs bought me on top and I feel great...

polnan Tue 27-Oct-20 09:59:51

I`m with you DanniRae