Gransnet forums

Chat

Moving furniture is exhausting, and a bit disgusting....

(39 Posts)
BridgetPark Sun 25-Oct-20 13:43:54

Anybody else horrified when shifting the furniture round, the state of what you find under the sofa? So far this morning, pen tops(no pen), small lego(the hurty kind), dead spiders(yuk), shopping lists, crayons, cobwebs by the bucket load, hair grips, paper clips, stickers and much more. And i am too old for this moving stuff around, its exhausting!! No wonder when you buy a house from an older person, its stuck in a bit of a time warp, I can now understand how the thought of big stuff being done in the house, is just too daunting, and we end up thinking, stuff it, it will do. Anybody else feel the same way, this miserable sunday morning?

Astral Sun 25-Oct-20 20:27:22

Well that's another new one on me!

I flea spray the house every 6 months which is about how often we usually move all the furniture. Now I'm hoping that it kills other pests too

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 20:20:35

Oh, I've never heard of carpet beetles!

I go round the carpet edges with the nozzle on the vacuum cleaner regularly.

Hetty58 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:18:54

Astral, their larvae can eat away at your carpets and upholstered furniture in dark corners - then hatch out into a new generation of moths.

Luckily we've never had them here (son's place was infested with them) - we've had carpet beetles instead!

Astral Sun 25-Oct-20 20:12:42

grin

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 20:09:53

grin
It's never too late to learn!

Astral Sun 25-Oct-20 20:06:41

Utterly horrified. Just when you think you have learned all the disgusting things that live on, in and around humans!

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 20:03:07

I'd never heard of them until this year, Astral
We thought they were tiny flies flitting around last autumn and managed to dispose of many but they lay their eggs in dark corners and the larvae emerge, they look like grains of rice, munch the wool carpet, emerge as moths and the cycle begins again unless you are vigilant.
I am constantly vigilant now.

FlexibleFriend Sun 25-Oct-20 19:59:41

It's moving the fridge I hate, it's disgusting and the dogs seem to hide things under there they can't retrieve. UGH!

Astral Sun 25-Oct-20 19:52:25

What on earth is a carpet moth? They live in the house the whole time?

I'm cleaning under everything tomorrow.

After the nightmares

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 19:44:41

Hetty58

Next, clean your fridge/freezer condenser coils - have fun!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ytzetkjGQ

Oh yes, done that!!

SuzannahM Sun 25-Oct-20 19:38:48

I once found a dead mouse in an unused bedroom.
My OH had complained that the bedroom smelled really bad, and accused me of leaving food in there to moulder away when I had used the room as an office to work from home.
The room did smell bad, and I pulled out every drawer and cupboard and cleaned the room from top to bottom without finding anything wrong. Finally I closed the bi-fold doors on the wardrobe, and there on the carpet was the the poor, flat, dehydrated mouse looking much like the cartoon Jerry when he had been trampled by Tom. sad The door had been closed for a long time as it wasn't a room we used a lot and it must have got trapped inside.

M0nica Sun 25-Oct-20 19:21:20

All my furniture is either flat on the floor (wardrobes) or it is on legs so that I can easily see underneath and cllean under even more easily. That includes beds. All are on bed frames I can easily hoover under.

I started doing this by accident, but now do it by design.

Hetty58 Sun 25-Oct-20 19:17:24

Next, clean your fridge/freezer condenser coils - have fun!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ytzetkjGQ

sodapop Sun 25-Oct-20 19:03:26

I'm always moving stuff and cleaning underneath and behind, drives my husband mad. Still find dog hairs, dust, cobwebs etc. It is easier with hard floors.

MawB2 Sun 25-Oct-20 18:57:41

How weird!The coincidence I mean.
I was getting nowhere trying to change the time on my new clock radio so I decided to rescue the old one from the garage where it was due to go to the dump. Anyway, scrambling behind the bed for the socket I realised how dusty that corner was and that the carpet which is a creamy yellow colour everywhere else, was grey.
So I set t and pulled out both bedside cabinets moved the bed forwards then to one side then the other to hoover as much as I could reach, hoovered the skirting boards, dusted, removed cobwebs and fluff behind the bed head etc etc wiped everything that I could and eventually , exhausted, put the bedroom back together!
I have a cleaner, but clearly nobody had thought of doing that except me and I was shamed into it!

BlueBelle Sun 25-Oct-20 17:10:54

I have an excuse my eyes are poor my daughter often calls and picks something up to gather a cobweb or two with
You ve all made me feel a lot better thanks

Susiewong65 Sun 25-Oct-20 16:50:12

I keep putting off pulling out the fridge freezer. A couple of months ago I dropped some grapes and a few rolled underneath.
If I get down low enough I can see that they have turned into raisins !!

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 16:48:27

I think I may be busy tomorrow, pulling out beds, fridges etc
hmm

I don't want my house to be stuck in a time warp

kittylester Sun 25-Oct-20 16:35:04

Our fridge is an American type one with a filter that needs changing- DJ pulls the fridge out, changes the filter and pushes the fridge back. It's been there 15 years - heaven knows what is behjng it.

NfkDumpling Sun 25-Oct-20 16:24:31

We now have pretend wood everywhere downstairs. Its wonderful. The bedrooms however, have carpet....

eazybee Sun 25-Oct-20 16:21:58

Pulled out the coffee table where the television and other technological pieces sit, quite heavy.
Disgusting collection of dead insect life behind, and a £1 coin, old one. No joy there.

Callistemon Sun 25-Oct-20 16:16:11

Ditto, grannysyb
My sofas are quite easy to move but we did move two heavy solid wood pieces of furniture a while ago and found carpet moth larvae behind there.
It was rather a shock and the furniture went to the charity shop!

grannysyb Sun 25-Oct-20 16:10:54

Lucky MissChateline! My sofa is quite low, and I decided to hoover under when we were expecting guests, ( why,,? nobody looks under sofas do they?!) Good job I did, discovered carpet moth which I managed to sort out before they ate too much of the rug!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 25-Oct-20 15:44:54

MissChateline

Quite the opposite. A couple of weeks ago I decided to Hoover under the bed. This took some doing. And there to my joy was a plastic envelope with $60 tucked in it. I have no idea how long it has been there. But it quickly got exchanged and spent on a treat.

????

MissChateline Sun 25-Oct-20 15:29:14

Quite the opposite. A couple of weeks ago I decided to Hoover under the bed. This took some doing. And there to my joy was a plastic envelope with $60 tucked in it. I have no idea how long it has been there. But it quickly got exchanged and spent on a treat.