Gransnet forums

Chat

Are you answering your phone to unknown number now?

(37 Posts)
Ellylanes1 Mon 26-Oct-20 03:21:15

Usually I don't answer unknown number calls, if it's important they will leave a txt, or write to me. So many scams around these days, a little concerned about returning a call from an unknown number.
However, with track and trace an unknown number could be important?
What are you doing?

welbeck Mon 26-Oct-20 04:46:23

i have call monitoring, so unless they announce themselves, it does not ring.
the track n trace system is pants.
it should use an easily recognised number which we could all enter into our accepted calls.
and there should be a facility to return calls/messages which there is not at the moment.
they should give it to local public health/ environmental health teams. they have been doing this for notifiable diseases for yonks. could employ some extra staff, remotely, to expand coverage.
let those who know what they are doing and how to do it, get on with it. not jobs for the boys/girls dado etc, and big fat contracts, no monitoring of performance. public money wasted. control of disease compromised. they get richer, dado etc. we get sicker. and poorer. go figure.

BlueBelle Mon 26-Oct-20 06:48:34

No problem answering I can easily hang up I don’t have a monitoring service I pay enough and can monitor my own calls
I don’t get hardly any spam calls on my mobile and use the landline so little it wouldn’t be worth it
I haven’t put track and trace on my phone as I have so little faith in it

I totally agree wellbeck each local NhS has a very robust tracking service for notifiable and sexual diseases This should have been used but wouldn’t bring in the Private money for the Backscratchers ...it’s disgusting

Esspee Mon 26-Oct-20 07:01:48

I can’t understand the fear. What is the point of having a phone if you don’t answer it?
It’s your phone, you are in complete control. If you are uninterested in the call you simply terminate it either by cutting it off or placing the phone down and leaving it. They will ring off.
If you are getting too many calls then by all means get a monitoring service but please consider - What is there to be scared about?

Casdon Mon 26-Oct-20 07:07:07

It’s more the annoyance factor than a fear for me, I’m just fed up with interrupting what I’m doing to take a call about something irrelevant. I look the number that’s called me up after it’s rung, and then block it if I’m not interested. The Track and Trace number would be identified as such if you look it up I think?

TrendyNannie6 Mon 26-Oct-20 07:08:28

Don’t have a monitoring service, but have no problem in hanging up if not interested in the calls that come through,

M0nica Mon 26-Oct-20 07:34:18

If I do not recognise the number, I pick the phone up but say nothing, if there is silence the other end or a recorded message starts, I just press the off button and put the phone down. If someone speaks, again, within seconds you know whether it is a friend or legitimate call. If it is neither, press the off button. The whole process takes about 10 seconds.

I would never return a call to an unknown number. As you say, if it is someone you know they will text, email or ring back.

What is there to be afraid of?

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 07:39:22

The problem about not answering an unknown number is that it could actually be an important call.
Twice I have been on holiday abroad and received a number of calls from an unknown number.
It turned out they were urgent medical phone calls.
I have the generic NHS number saved to my phone, but these were different.

You can also check the number later on Who called me?, which identifies scam numbers.

Spangler Mon 26-Oct-20 07:49:07

We have so much vintage equipment around the house that without knowing it the world has past us bye. Our central heating dial is in Fahrenheit, as is the cooker controls. We still have the wedding presents of bathroom & kitchen scales in imperial without translation and we have our original finger dial phone that we were issued with in 1968. (We bought it for a nominal one pound.)

One of our friends in our social group is a former telephone engineer, we bought the phone that he recommended. It shows the incoming number, or number withheld, it also allows us to use those annoying automated call receivers where you have to press one for the money, two for the show. Previously if I dialled one, it simply cut me off. Our friend wired it into our existing phone so that we can go on using the dial.

I've never heard of track and trace, but there again, I don't need it, a good old profanity works just as well.

Urmstongran Mon 26-Oct-20 07:51:38

I think the ‘track and trace’ is about Covid Spangler not a phone facility.
?

dragonfly46 Mon 26-Oct-20 07:57:42

I always answer calls as sometimes it is from the hospital. Like Monica if there is no one there I hang up. Even if it is an unsolicited call if they are polite I tell them I am not interested and they don’t ring back.

Btw welbeck have you not heard of capital letters?

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 08:04:17

Spangler, The Track and Trace phone app has two main functions:

*ensures that anyone who develops symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19) can quickly be tested to find out if they have the virus, and also includes targeted asymptomatic testing of NHS and social care staff and care home residents

*helps trace close recent contacts of anyone who tests positive for coronavirus and, if necessary, notifies them that they must self-isolate at home to help stop the spread of the virus

Everyone I know has downloaded the Scottish one onto their phone.
If it slows down the virus, I'm all for it.

Spangler Mon 26-Oct-20 08:14:23

Thanks Marydoll & Urmstongran, should I be embarrassed? My wife and I have smart phones but neither of us have ever worked out how you connect them to the internet. We have only had them for ten years, which is quite old by today's standards, all we ever do is text each other.

Dare I say it, I haven't yet figured out what an app is, but anything that helps reduce the risk of the virus has got to be worth it. But for life of me, I can't figure out how it works.

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 08:17:13

Spangler, A mobile application, also referred to as a mobile app or simply an app, is a computer program or software application designed to run on a mobile device like a phone or tablet.

PollyDolly Mon 26-Oct-20 08:17:41

We are presently waiting to have some work done in our house involving a number of "trades" so I have various workmen calling us to arrange their days for working and I don't want to miss any calls.

On the other hand, if the caller is asking " our records show that you have been involved in an accident that wasn't your fault" or similar nonsense I swiftly put on the drama and pretend to be rather hard of hearing ( no disrespect intended to anyone genuinely HOH ) or I say " which accident was it? I'm always having accidents, I really must stop drinking gin for breakfast " !

My OH just sits there rolling with laughter, it does brighten the day though ??

petra Mon 26-Oct-20 08:22:05

My step daughter works for Deloitte. If she doesn't give her number out, that's good enough for me ?

25Avalon Mon 26-Oct-20 08:26:10

I always answer my mobile as it’s linked to our business but if there’s any funny business I cut the call and block it. With the house phone it has BT call blocker so caller has to announce who they are before you take the call. You can block then or after taking the call.

I try not to return unknown unanswered calls as these can be linked to premium services that cost a fortune. What I do is to go online to “who called me”, put in the number and it will tell you if it is dodgy or not.

Lollin Mon 26-Oct-20 08:31:11

Answering calls from an unknown number is helping the "baddies" to sell your number on so you can end up in a spiral of unknown numbers calling you.

I told trace I could only be notified by text as I do not pick up unknown numbers. I'm assuming the call from track and trace would identify themselves in the same way that legitimate companies do. So, no need to answer unknown numbers.

Spangler Mon 26-Oct-20 08:33:13

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 08:17:13
Spangler, A mobile application, also referred to as a mobile app or simply an app, is a computer program or software application designed to run on a mobile device like a phone or tablet.
Much appreciated Marydoll, I won't pretend to understand it and I'm guessing that if the phone's not hooked up to the internet, it's not much use, but you have given me enough to look up the details. Thanks again.

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 08:34:16

Lollin : So, no need to answer unknown numbers.
Unfortunately some of us do. Those of us who are undergoing medical treatment, cannot afford to ignore unknown numbers.

MaizieD Mon 26-Oct-20 08:49:09

I read a thread on mumsnet some time ago (a couple of years at least) on the topic of answering calls from unknown numbers and the general consensus was that they wouldn't. It did surprise me a bit as it made me wonder how many 'innocent' calls they were missing (and saddened me that we're becoming so mistrustfull of our fellow beings). But I suspected that that is a reason for unanswered track and trace calls. I think the posts on here have confirmed it..

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 08:53:01

Spangler, you do need the internet and Bluetooth on your phone for Track and Trace to work.
If you are interested, perhaps your friend could assist you.

MaizieD Mon 26-Oct-20 08:57:31

@Spangler

You must be using the internet to post on here from your computer, surely?

Are you able to find 'settings' on your phone? If you can, does it have a WiFi setting? If it does, just make sure it's switched 'on' then connect to your internet just like you did on your computer. (If you can't do it I'm sure you have a young relative who could ?. )

Greyduster Mon 26-Oct-20 09:14:52

We have an answerphone so if there is a call and no message is left we don’t pursue it. Anyone who matters leaves a message. We had one yesterday, from Matlock. We don’t know anyone in Matlock and haven’t been there for years so ignored it.

Marydoll Mon 26-Oct-20 09:26:54

As far as I know, any medical messages aren't supposed to be left on an answer machine or voicemail , due to data protection.
Before I can go any further, I always have to provide my DOB.