Gransnet forums

Chat

Best/worst Birthday/ Christmas present ever received (lighthearted)

(127 Posts)
mamaa Tue 27-Oct-20 10:29:25

Following on from a comment I made on another thread I began to think of presents I've received over the years for Birthdays/Christmas. I think one of the best birthday presents was a balloon flight off my husband for my 50th (once it actually happened, the constant re-booking due to weather/work constraints was a bit of a pain). One of the worst Christmas presents was also off my husband. We were still newly weds ( so early 20's) and I can still remember how excited I was when I saw the large present under the tree. The excitement was short-lived once I'd torn off the paper on Christmas morning, full of anticipation of the contents within...there were lots of little presents which when unwrapped revealed: a small thermos flask, a plastic red rose, teatowels, etc etc. you get the picture shock. I tried to be pleased as he had made such an effort, and eventually we saw the funny side! Over the years his present buying has improved as he realised that such things as kitchen scissors and pyrex bowls would never be things I'd want for special occasions. smile

chocolatepudding Thu 29-Oct-20 13:32:40

Worst birthday present ever was a large bucket with a packet of car washing sponges and a voucher for a car to be valeted - all from BIL 2 weeks late as usual and delivered not to my home but left at MILs home so I could collectit when I went to takecare of her 5 days a week as she was terminallyill.

DH watched me open it all and saidit was the greatest case of self control he had everseen.

MIL announced that my car would at leastbe clean for the family wedding in 3 months time which I had not been invited to! I bit my tongue hard!