Gransnet forums

Chat

Help!?

(68 Posts)
phoenix Wed 28-Oct-20 22:35:26

Evening all, having a bit of wobble!

I seem to be (to borrow the phrase) "going gentle into that long dark night", in that I really CBA with make up, clothes (well, of course I wear them, after all I wouldn't want to frighten anybody!) and of course I shower every day, but other than that, well, neh!

So, what can I do to help me "rage, rage against the dying of the light"

Please bear in mind the CBA thing mentioned above.

Spice101 Thu 29-Oct-20 04:42:40

I too fit the CBA mode. What's worse is that after effectively 7 months of being told we must "stay at home" unless shopping for essentials, medical reasons or work, four months of which we have only been allowed to travel within 5 kilometers of home if we go out, I'm finding it a struggle to do anything other than sit and do nothing. I have no wish to go out and embrace our new "freedom" from restrictions. I'm hoping this will pass soon.

Lucca Thu 29-Oct-20 06:37:30

Phoenix I believe Gay Abandon is a good friend of Willy Nilly.

Dorsetcupcake61 Thu 29-Oct-20 06:50:44

I'm right there with you,well not literally that would be weird?.
My level of CBA varies. I havent worn any make up since March and I tend to wear the same rotation of clothes that are warm,comfortable and dont need ironing. I'm someone who loves make up and hand bags both of which I would have to blow the dust off.
I live on my own which has its disadvantages and advantages.
I shower every day and keep the house clean and tidy and eat a reasonable diet. I suppose from my point of view my baseline is I would not curl up in embarrassment if sudden visitor.
In all seriousness though there is a line at the moment that none of us want to slip under. The difference between relishing being free of social expectations and veering towards depression. All too easy as the days get darker and news grimmer.
I love crafting and have many projects I want to complete as gifts. My concentration is awful though and I sometimes have to really push myself to start/complete things. It seems to be a common issue. I find a change of room/project helps.
Leg shaving? Dont know about anyone else but I'm in my late 50s and hairy legs not a problem! I always moisturise my face and always wear perfume!

mancgirl Thu 29-Oct-20 07:33:06

Well I'm having Galaxy's bollocking along, great expression ?I used to wash and straighten my hair daily, so even though I always shower, hair can sometimes be every 2nd of even 3rd day. I love handbags and have loads but find myself using the same one since July (birthday present). Wear jeans every day unless out for lunch once a week and sometimes even then (my smart ones!). Using expensive perfume as air freshner before it goes off. CBA days happen sometimes, sign of the times. Roll with it!

mancgirl Thu 29-Oct-20 07:36:34

Sorry bollocking ON! Think I like saying that, very satisfying ?

Pantglas2 Thu 29-Oct-20 07:41:12

I’m the same DorsetCupcake! Shower and perfume every morning is the baseline - everything else optional!

I find that I need to plan something, trivial or not, for each day or I feel dissatisfied with myself. Baking, dusting, kitchen or bathroom blitz, crafting, phone calls, finances admin, beauty treatment - you name it!

I suspect there will be more of this to come and finding your own way of keeping an even keel is very important- good luck everyone x

Gwyneth Thu 29-Oct-20 07:47:17

Just reading the comments on this thread have cheered me up no end. Jeans and jumpers for me. Hair only washed once a week but in better condition as a result. Did actually put some lipstick on for a zoom coffee morning with friends yesterday which felt very glamorous after not wearing make up for so long.

jenpax Thu 29-Oct-20 08:28:17

I am glad it’s not just me! My hair has gone a patchy grey frizz I usually don’t now wear make up whereas pre covid I always did. and I desperately need new clothes and new specs but CBA! I think the lack of motivation is depression linked I know I am highly anxious!

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:30:33

I’ll try to be more ‘gay’ for him , that will make his life more interesting won’t it?
I have showered This morning and I’ve got clean clothes on, no bra, I’m going to brush my hair. My excuse is that today I am moving stuff around in the garage and shed. I’m not sure what my excuse has been since March though.

I’m moving stuff in the garage and shed because is more interesting than cleaning the house. After that I will probably take up the offer of a free photo book, which means there wont be time to clean the house today. Again.

dragonfly46 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:47:06

I try to have an excuse to look nice everyday. It makes me feel better especially when I catch myself in the mirror. It brings a little normality to my life.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 29-Oct-20 08:54:09

Showered, moisturiser, dressed and perfume every day. I have sorted out leggings, skinny jeans and tunic type tops for indoors.

However, I do put on lashings of mascara if I go out. Wearing a mask my eyes are the only things visible!!!!

I have intentions of buying some new leisure wear lose trousers and tops for hibernation days so that I do not frighten the delivery men grin

silverlining48 Thu 29-Oct-20 09:11:35

Maw I have that book, passed it onto my daughter, (oh how she/we laughed).

Lavazza1st Thu 29-Oct-20 09:12:00

I have had days when I haven't put a bra on and slobbed about, but I have felt rubbish on those days. My posture always seems worse when I'm not wearing a bra and I just don't feel right. Somehow I feel more depressed on those days or maybe I didn't get dressed because I felt depressed?

I ditched underwires and now only wear comfy ones, so that is amazingly freeing! Mostly I wear comfy leggings and jumpers at home, but pull it all together with a smart coat, boots and bag when I go out. I do feel better when I have got properly dressed and eye make up definitely helps me look and feel more with it.

travelsafar Thu 29-Oct-20 09:21:39

I partially slipped in to the CBA earlier this ear when i couldt get to the hairdressers for my fringe to be trimmed. I ended up clipng it back and it wasnt a good look!!! Now i have been a couple of times and am due next week for a trim i feel better. Back to putting on mascara and lippy every day. Still wearing joggers and t shirts indoors but always change when i go out even if just for a walk round the block. I do get days when i CBA but i try to get myself together otherwise i know i will feel even worse.

midgey Thu 29-Oct-20 09:23:09

It’s an economy measure no to shave your legs! I gave in and harvested my legs in the summer.....coo it was really chilly so will leave it over winter?

midgey Thu 29-Oct-20 09:25:05

There is a particular charity that really wants formal work clothes, so that women can be appropriately dressed for interviews etc. Sorry I don’t know what it’s called.

BlueSapphire Thu 29-Oct-20 09:47:01

Another CBA here too! Nowhere to go, nothing to do. I can't believe how much money I've saved by not going out, buying clothes and make-up.

Shower and wash hair every day, just using moisturiser these days, though I do make an effort when I go to DD's and use tinted moisturiser. What's the point of anything else when you're wearing a mask if you go out? No-one's going to see much of you anyway. Have been to the hairdresser a couple of times and have another appointment in December.

Mostly spend the day in jeans/jeggings and a jumper. Need a bra though, as God was very generous in that department. No smart shoes needed, am in walking shoes if I go out for a walk. And that's about all I go out for. Am often in my dressing gown till lunchtime!

Must make a move or else I shall be on here till lunchtime and have nothing done.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 09:51:36

midgey

There is a particular charity that really wants formal work clothes, so that women can be appropriately dressed for interviews etc. Sorry I don’t know what it’s called.

Yes, I remember that Meghan D of Sussex had something to do with it.

ExD Thu 29-Oct-20 10:02:31

The quotation actually goes

Do NOT go gentle into that dark night
Old age should burn and rave at close of day
Rage rage against the dying of the light .....

We had to learn it as school, it was from Dylan Thomas to his father who was going blind (I can't see how such advice helped the poor man who's light as dying can you?) He's telling the old man not to accept his inevitable blindness and not to go gentle in accepting it. Rather pointless as there was no treatment for him.

I do agree it's doing us good to let our skin go makeup-less and not to have to bother dressing up. Its making me look at clothes and makeup as gifts for Christmas though - weird I should want to buy them for others but not for myself.

petra Thu 29-Oct-20 10:07:11

Am I the only person here keeping up appearances ?
I don't put make up on if I'm not going out. But I do dress naice even if at home. I dress well when I work in the charity shop.
I've had new glasses this year. I still have my nails done. I use my teethe whitening kit. And no, I don't look like someone from Towie ?
A few weeks ago I was so fed up with my thinning hair that I went to a salon in Southend to buy a wig. It's gorgeous.

Chewbacca Thu 29-Oct-20 10:27:39

My glasses are 5 years old. One of the arms is bent because I sat on them and so I look like Eric Morecambe when I wear them. The colour is chipped off the bridge and arms and they generally look knackered. But I only need them for driving and as I'm not doing that very much these days, they'll do. Another £150 saved.

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:31:22

Am I the only person here keeping up appearances ?

Good morning Hyacinth. ?

I do put on makeup if I'm going out but we're locked down at the moment. And I do struggle with my hair every day to try to tame it!
I haven't resorted to jogging bottoms yet except when gardening.

Luckygirl Thu 29-Oct-20 10:35:50

Yup - another CBA here. But in my case it is quite longstanding.

I do not even shower every day - lots of hair which is a pain to dry - but I do wash. No-one has turned their noses up at me yet.

I wear jeans all the time; and change the top portion every week or so - I do change the undergarments and wash.

I decided long before covid that people would have to take me as they find me - I have never worn make-up, high heels, tight skirts, suits, stockings etc.

Hope you will be feeling brighter soon Phoenix - I have had a serious glooms episode on the last week needing GP input - sometimes life just feels full of ordure. Hang on in there. flowers

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 10:47:12

My hair is shocking since I took the scissors to it the other day, but, looking on the bright side, I saved £45.
I really need new specs though.

Those two things could be connected!

Pittcity Thu 29-Oct-20 10:51:14

I am living in joggers and jumpers with no bra.
DH has had the dreaded isolate notice and so will spend a week in his PJs.
Because he is invading my space I spent an hour with a facepack and hair mask this morning.... I feel lovely but nobody will notice!