Gransnet forums

Chat

Beware the lockdown tidy up.

(35 Posts)
kittylester Thu 29-Oct-20 15:45:20

I have just had a mild panic trying to locate the Christmas decorations.

In the Great Lockdown Tidy we moved stuff around, chucked stuff out, bought new stuff and rearrange the rest.

The local village community group has asked for donations of decorations for their tree in the Christmas festival.

Knowing we always have loads of unused lights I offered some. I went to see what was there and not only the lights were missing so was the flipping blanket box they were stored in.

Eventually found the decorations but much radicalised and NO spare lights to donate. blush Oops!

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 14:55:48

Wheniwasyourage

It's sinking to the bottom of the heap, isn't it, when they steal from charity!
One of our local charity shops has a smashed wind and people steal poppy money boxes too.

Callistemon Fri 30-Oct-20 14:57:30

I've just thrown out a pile of old rollers and perm curlers; hope they're recyclable plastic.

Wait for curly hair to come in again in a couple of weeks.

CBBL Fri 30-Oct-20 17:55:42

We are moving soon, and have hired a skip to try to clear things from the attic and the garage (which has never seen our car in it in the six years we have lived here). I REALLY struggle to throw things away, and want to keep everything! I've been told this is due to my "disturbed" childhood (lived with Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles/Cousins/ and my mother from time to time to time). We have "made a dent" in the Garage, but I find it really depressing! Got the Christmas things from the Attic - as we hope to use those again! I have a suitcase of clothes to take to the Charity shop, though I can't say when exactly (we move next week!).

Kim19 Fri 30-Oct-20 18:00:55

That was one of my most difficult throw outs. Beautiful Christmas decks amassed over the last 50 years. Awful but useless to me and mostly unwanted by my children.

LesLee7 Fri 30-Oct-20 21:05:58

I have been decluttering for ages - despite lots to the charity shops, selling on ebay and going to the tip my house still looks like a disaster zone. I've sometimes found it hard to focus during lockdown and start one thing and move onto another - fatal. I haven't started on the loft which is full to the brim and know that one of these days I won't be able to get up the loft ladder so really need to tackle it. I know I'm a bit of a hoarder and losing my sister and Mum within 6 months of each other had to clear 2 houses. I didn't bring that much from them but I think because whilst they were ill it was such an anxious time that the "stuff" I have became a bit of a comfort blanket.
I had things in the car until the charity shops re-opened and can now drop things off, although you do have to make an appointment for the hospice shop and had to wait 4 weeks so some went to one of the others. For those of you who can't get to the shops but have access to a PC you can print off a free label from BHF and send a box to them. I was going to do it but decided to wait until they re-opened - trouble is as things are think they might start closing again.

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 17:25:12

I always have a blackbag in the wardrobe for charity shop stuff and usually it is full within a month.

I am not a minimalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I cannot bear to have unused clutter everywhere. Nothing beats the satisfaction of an empty drawer, or a drawer or cupboard with much less in it than there was.

All we have in our loft is Christmas decs, suitcases and some workpapers of DH, which I am gradually getting out and leaving in front of his wardrobe until he gets tired of tripping over them and sorts them out, followed by a trip to the tip.

cupaffull Mon 02-Nov-20 11:02:28

Full of admiration for the declutterers but how did you deposit stuff in the charity shops?
Given the age and vulnerability of many volunteers in these shops, most were closed for the duration and only recently reopened for limited donations.
We've had stuff (rubbish) piling up and have had to book x 3 car visits to the council CA site.
We can't get in without a booking even tho there has always been adequate spacing between vehicles even before the social distancing requirements.
We suspect the council were taking advantage of the furlough scheme to reduce wage bills and have minimum staff onsite.

Luckylegs Mon 02-Nov-20 11:15:14

We decided to clear out our huge loft as it’s jammed to the rafters, not only with our stuff but a lot of our daughters as well. There’s a lot of baby stuff (just in case but those days have gone now) but ‘out of sight, out of mind’, she just keeps promising to take it all but never does.

Husband has been bringing huge amounts down all week which is now filling our conservatory because I just can’t find anywhere to take it! Everyone seems to be doing the same thing at the moment. Charity shops will take one bag in restricted times, the hospice places are full and not taking anything else. I’m reluctant to put beautiful sets of curtains, bedding etc into those containers on supermarket car parks as they could be so useful to people. I’m not trying to sell anything, I just want to give it away! I’m despairing now, it’s going to have to go back up.

SuzannahM Mon 02-Nov-20 11:29:32

Luckylegs try Freecycle - we gave loads of stuff away, and we've taken one or two bits as well. Put a good photo up of the item and a good description though - I've just seen loads of entries on ours saying things like 'Curtains', or 'kettle'. Not much use. Leave it outside the door ready for collection and there's no risk to you. Some people will grab it to sell, but at least it's out of your conservatory grin